TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Lady Gaga is famous for being an eccentric pop star all extravaganza. On a star is born she was like "less Lady Gaga" it's true but that's a famous classic brand + bradley cooper + glowing reviews and Oscar buzz from Venice. Plus the soundtrack was very pop and it turned to be a big hit (something very important of course for a musical)

She has made these kind of jazz- broadwian albums but for what i know they didn't sell well at all. I don't think the GA cares about her attempt to be the new Barbra or Gardland. I mean she's definitely a good and well trained singer (but not like a generational talent) but then her interesting side as perfomer is super bowl kind of big performances not Broadway. She is casted  in something like this because she's Lady Gaga the famous popstar.

So probably people don't care that much to see her singing Sinatra (in general i would say not much today music stars can sell to 18-34 males Sinatra songs 😅). 

5 hours ago, TomThomas said:

Nah, it was better than many cbms of the last decade, so idk what's your point. If any movie deserved its billion it's this one, not some extremely generic slope with blue beams in the sky, AI directing and CGI fights.

My point I was not crazy about Joker. I thought that was obvious. I did not hate it but it was not the greatest thing ever that really spoke to me or something. Where as I love the Batman. We all have different opinions on what movies we like. And yeah a lot of the most recent blue beam CGI fight CBM's have stunk. 

their mistake was tripling the budget of the first joker and expecting better returns, when the first one wasn’t a musical and didnt portray joker in a sympathetic light and didn’t rely on star power or try to pretend its not a CBM

I think this will do 60/120M dometic 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

My point I was not crazy about Joker. I thought that was obvious. I did not hate it but it was not the greatest thing ever that really spoke to me or something. Where as I love the Batman. We all have different opinions on what movies we like. And yeah a lot of the most recent blue beam CGI fight CBM's have stunk. 

Yeah, I just wanted to say it's far from the worst film that made over a billion, it's all good.

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I think this will do 60/120M dometic 

You expect worse legs than Ayer's Suicide Squad?

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Lady Gaga is famous for being an eccentric pop star all extravaganza. On a star is born she was like "less Lady Gaga" it's true but that's a famous classic brand + bradley cooper + glowing reviews and Oscar buzz from Venice. Plus the soundtrack was very pop and it turned to be a big hit (something very important of course for a musical)

She has made these kind of jazz- broadwian albums but for what i know they didn't sell well at all. I don't think the GA cares about her attempt to be the new Barbra or Gardland. I mean she's definitely a good and well trained singer (but not like a generational talent) but then her interesting side as perfomer is super bowl kind of big performances not Broadway. She is casted  in something like this because she's Lady Gaga the famous popstar.

So probably people don't care that much to see her singing Sinatra (in general i would say not much today music stars can sell to 18-34 males Sinatra songs 😅). 

Those two albums are duets with Toni Bennett of old covers, the first debuted #1 on the Billboard and the second in top10, they did decently well for the kind of genre, but most important her Jazz Vegas Residency grossed +100 million dollars out of her singing ‘Sinatra covers’, so there’s clearly an audience for that.

I don’t think the kind of music is the problem in this movie, nobody from the reviews complained and the general audience is not even aware, I doubt people are expecting her to sing ‘Bad Romance’ kind of songs in this movie, old classics have always made more sense.

• Like 2

I think there's probably truth to the notion hinted at earlier that Gaga's stans might be turned off by the "Joker, A Film by Todd Phillips" of it all. It's not out of the ordinary for a movie that's going out of its way in trying to chase after every demo to ultimately fail at reaching any.

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think there's probably truth to the notion hinted at earlier that Gaga's stans might be turned off by the "Joker, A Film by Todd Phillips" of it all. It's not out of the ordinary for a movie that's going out of its way in trying to chase after every demo to ultimately fail at reaching any.

Majority of her stans weren’t fan of the first, that’s for sure, but there still was excitement for this sequel and role, like I said earlier majority are stile going to support this movie but they are not in urge to buy tickets so much in advance like for a concert, that’s the feedback coming from inside the Haus. 

14 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

10m+ admission in Korea???

Be serious lol

If WOM is "good".  :rofl:

It would have to be more than good.  Even Bohemian Rhapsody didn't hit that pre pandemic.  Post pandemic SK has had 2 films a year over 10m admissions - all SK films.

The last time there were more than 2 was 2019 with Endgame, Frozen 2, Aladdin, Parasite, and Extreme Job.  It was an out of the ordinary year.  The year before that -  2.  The year before that - 1.

And 1/7th of DW in Brazil - is that supposed to be great?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, Opium said:

This is collecting info out of context from a Reddit post that itselfs is taking data from the Brazilian and Korean threads over here. 

The SK data is not even related to Joker but rather a local opener. These guys just suck.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 5

The most shocking thing about the original Joker run to me was always how good it did worldwide. Probably the biggest wildcard of the sequel has always been if it holds up there, significantly more than how it does domestically. 

11 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I'm genuinely so confused. Why is this dropping so hard? This movie isn't even swamped up in the DCEU or anything.

And funny observation, this would place OW below DPW OD, DOM below DPW OW, and WW below DPW DOM

You’re significantly underestimating how much of a cultural phenomenon/lighting in a bottle Joker OG run was. The sequel was never going to recapture that. 

Edited by TheFlatLannister