TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

This probably kills Lady Gaga's film career even though it's not her fault. And given how she's mishandled her music career for years, things aren't looking good for her. Not Katy Perry level bad of course, but not good. 

The movie is not even out 😅. She has right now the most streamed Song on Spotify. Yeah It's basically a bruno Mars Song and Bruno Mars is kinda a streaming force by himself but still It's a big hit.  

Lady Gaga is already over the narrative of a "seasonal popstar" the world forget about after 3-4 years.

I think her career in Hollywood was always meant to be something like Cher or Barbra. Very selected movies good for her brand and character as performer, not trying to became the next Nicole Kidman or Emma Stone. 

She won't be forgotten but already has the "Classic" celebrity vibe. 

I'm gonna hold off on giving a what went wrong analysis until the movie actually comes out since there's always the potential of it pulling a Let There Be Carnage with pre-sales (not that I'm expecting it to). But I am gonna concur that the musical angle probably put off folks. To use an anecdotal example, my Dad loved the first Joker and he's not too sure about this one because of the film's musical angle. And he'll usually see any CBM-related movie with no questions asked.

22 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

They should never have given Joker a girlfriend and made it a romance... Pushed away all the incels...

They should be happy for their bro, they want a girlfriend too, they could see it as a sort of power fantasy.

Gaga isn't the one who will take the fall for this if it fails. Her reviews for it are actually good (with the main complaint being that she's underused, which is probably what's dampened enthusiasm more than anything else considering she was touted as the hook for this). If anyone will, it's most likely to be Todd Phillips, given that a lot of folks on The Web already don't seem to be fans of his (whether it's based on interviews, his highly inconsistent filmography, or both).

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gaga isn't the one who will take the fall for this if it fails. Her reviews for it are actually good (with the main complaint being that she's underused, which is probably what's dampened enthusiasm more than anything else considering she was touted as the hook for this). If anyone will, it's most likely to be Todd Phillips, given that a lot of folks on The Web already don't seem to be fans of his (whether it's based on interviews, his highly inconsistent filmography, or both).

Folks on The Web are a rain drop compared to overall audience, otherwise all those filmtwitter darling would've been huge hits instead of doing 2 dollars in 2 theaters. I imagine Joaquin could take a fall after his controversial exit of Haynes drama on top of this flopping (supposedly), the industry could be more concerned about his behaviour if they stop seeing him as a golden goose. Regarding Phillips, if David O. Russel can still find a job after recent flops and all the shit he pulled throught his career (like gut punching Sony executive on some event not that long ago), Phillips will be just fine, from I've heard he's a really nice guy, so it helps when people like to work with you.

Edited by TomThomas

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The internet gives too much credit to lady Gaga for no reason. Not gene Kelly or Fred Astaire or Barbra Streisand sold every musical movie just because they were great musical performers, they flopped with several movie and they were seen as full movie stars (Gaga as i said It's imo a good pop performer but not an outstanding musical type performer).

Why Lady Gaga should sell movies that way?. She works in the right projects (someone could said with very rare expections that's true for every movie star). 

As I said yesterday i think She doesn't sell that much this kind of musical and performances from her. All the news about It being a tribute to Classic musicals, with 50s-60s songs etc . probably is the reason the hype is not that high. 

The idea of a joker musical probably wasn't that wrong but they would have decide for something more digestible for that audience and something like a 70s rock inspired musical ..i don't know ..with the news about the genre and the casting choice Probably the core audience this movie Is alienated by the joker in la la Land and a joker Is born vibes. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

They should never have given Joker a girlfriend and made it a romance... Pushed away all the incels...

THye accepted that well enough in the comics and the Timmverse, ..it's the musical numbers that is the trun off for a lot of CBM fans.