TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

6 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

D&W is going to remain the highest grossing R rated movie for a very looooong time now.

Was this ever in doubt lol

Even if WOM was excellent and Joker 2 had strong presales, I doubt it was increasing by 25% WW after already hitting its ceiling during peak CBM fever in 2019

• Like 1

Considering Phoenix and Gaga’s performances have been pretty well received even by some of the harsher critics of the film, perhaps it shouldn’t be too surprising they’re coy on being drawn on how they feel about the final product here:

Add in that Gaga’s role has been substantially cut down, I doubt she’ll jump to work with Phillips again!

Edited by Rusty

29 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Was this ever in doubt lol

Even if WOM was excellent and Joker 2 had strong presales, I doubt it was increasing by 25% WW after already hitting its ceiling during peak CBM fever in 2019

Joker 2 isn't doing it, but is another R-Rated sequel that can beat DPW ;)

MV5BNzgxZDA2ODgtZDUyYi00MWQyLWFlMWEtMzMw

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

The film should have turned Fleck into the late great Hannibal Lecter, with another infamous Gotham villain/mobster terrorizing Gotham, so the GPC and Dr, Quinzel turn to him for help bringing down the nut. He and Quinn fall in love, he escapes, defeats said villain/mobster, and supposedly goes off to be the joker we all know and love.

Not this silly BS.  

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The film should have turned Fleck into the late great Hannibal Lecter, with another infamous Gotham villain/mobster terrorizing Gotham, so the GPC and Dr, Quinzel turn to him for help bringing down the nut. He and Quinn fall in love, he escapes, defeats said villain/mobster, and supposedly goes off to be the joker we all know and love.

Not this silly BS.  

That sounds extremely antithetical to what the first movie was about. 

• Like 1

It's kinda amusing looking back at the early predictions of over 100M that were only based on "vibes" or maybe projection of personal sentiments. Of course, that was before tickets went on sale.

Edited by Jay Beezy

9 hours ago, JimmyB said:

It's just a repeat of The Marvels from last year.  Expectations for the box office just get lower as WOM gets out.  

@Firepower can you please come spin this into a positive?

These WOM reviews have me on edge! 

On 10/2/2024 at 6:22 PM, Goldbricker said:

Rotten Tomatoes Update

All Critics Score: 58%

Fresh: 35    Rotten:25

Verified Audience Score: 58.5%

Liked:75     Not Liked:53

All Audience Score: 56.2%

Liked:376    Not Liked:293

By my count, this is the worst RT Verified Audience Score start for a CBM ever since RT Verified score was introduced after the whole Captain Marvel fiasco. Madame Web started with 69% but then quickly dropped to mid-50% so we will see how Joker goes from here. I'm really interested in the Cinemascore for Joker now.

RT Update

All Critics Score: 42%

Fresh: 48       Rotten:65

Verified Audience Score: 58.9%

Liked:82        Not Liked:57

All Audience Score: 47%

Liked:635      Not Liked:714

While only a couple of verified audience scores have been added, all audience score is really cratering right now. Based on the trend, it does feel like Todd Philipps is fully intent on taking Madame Web's crown.

Historically large missed opportunity here. Wow. I don't know if the initial expectations were necessarily off, I think this is mores an extreme example of the filmmakers being completely incapable of realizing the potential which everyone saw from the beginning. 

Gaga and her voice needed to be front and center, plastered everywhere for the last 2 months. Instead she popped up over the weekend. Barely in the trailers. A movie which needed a clear, obvious hook to explain why it is been exist to front and center in the advertising actually doesn't seem to have one at all. Good grief. 

Edited by excel1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Historically large missed opportunity here. Wow. I don't know if the initial expectations were necessarily off, I think this is mores an extreme example of the filmmakers being completely incapable of realizing the potential which everyone saw from the beginning. 

Gaga and her voice needed to be front and center, plastered everywhere for the last 2 months. Instead she popped up over the weekend. Barely in the trailers. A movie which needed a clear, obvious hook to explain why it is been exist to front and center in the advertising actually doesn't seem to have one at all. Good grief. 

Worst of all, they didn’t cast Josh Hartnett as Harvey Dent!  😠 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1