TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

6 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

I maintain that there WAS interest...but they underestimated that the appeal was not Keaton, but Keaton WITH Burton's vision. Remove the Burton and you lose what made him unique.

Also there is a big difference between a new Michael Keaton Batman movie and Michael Keaton showing up in Ezra Miller’s multiverse slop movie

I don't quite get while this would end Gaga's career? It's not like it's even a poor performance by her from what everyone's saying, and it doesn't seem like she's that big of a presence in the film either

If every actor who starred in a bomb was barred from hollywood there wouldn't be enough actors left to even make movies anymore

Alright, this is what I have to say about Lady Gaga's career.

She starred in one of the most successful musicals of the last decade, and won an Oscar, BAFTA, and Grammy. That alone is monumental.

She did very well with Gucci and received strong reviews + in the context of how adult films were faring in a Covid environment, it did very well and significantly more than what most adult-aimed films did.

Now her career is over because she's in a film where the vast majority of critics and viewers praise her performance and a major criticism against the film is not utilizing her properly and reducing her screentime? 

The film had huge hype that was extinguished with the double whammy from the reviews of Venice and finding out her role was underused.

Get the fuck out with the doomsday. It's draining.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

Gaga is a millionaire, she will be okay. She has her music and few film roles after this perhaps. This film will be forgotten by next month. Some people need to chill!

Gaga won't be blamed for this people. Get real.

Todd will be blamed since he is the writer and director. When this disappoints, fans and WB will make Todd the scapegoat. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Todd will be blamed since he is the writer and director. When this disappoints, fans and WB will make Todd the scapegoat. 

Yes it has gotten tiring how people are on "damage control" mode already for her. More people will see that the first film was a fluke which had everything going for it and Todd will be blamed for being a hack. Joaquin won't be getting anymore big films too.

On 9/29/2024 at 11:41 PM, european1992 said:

Gaga just released an album that goes with the movie and it is flopping badly. Not a good look. It might be that some of you are overestimating the number of her fans, I don't think she has been relevant in a long time. I am still going to see the movie despite this bad aura around it.

it’s easy to say in hindsight with joker 2 likely flopping but I don’t think being both a pop star and movie star is really working for her. Pick a lane and be the best of your chosen craft. Even Beyoncé gave up the acting shtick.

Admittedly it’s partly a personal preference - I just fundamentally dislike musicians dipping their toes in movies.

Edited by Hatebox

33 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

it’s easy to say in hindsight with joker 2 likely flopping but I don’t think being both a pop star and movie star is really working for her. Pick a lane and be the best of your chosen craft. Even Beyoncé gave up the acting shtick.

Admittedly it’s partly a personal preference - I just fundamentally dislike musicians dipping their toes in movies.

How many popstars got this awards recognition with their first two movies? Quick.

FVLZ8IFVUAAZFfc?format=jpg

Why she should give up on her acting career when she has been the only popstar after Cher to land a best actress nomination with her first movie, winning a NYFCC with the second and so on?

Even the negative reviews are praising her performance on Folie à Deux.

Beyoncé that you mentioned was nominated at the Razzie last time she was on screen and never got anything other than a Globe nod, that is why she gave up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

This poor woman deserved better than to have this movie end her film career like this 

Her performance is getting praised also in the negative reviews, this won't be the end of her movie career, be serious, if anything I read lot of reactions (even between mixed-negative) that are saying it's her best performance so far.

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

K y’all need to stop. Seriously. How the heck do we go from “yea, Joker’s presales suck and WOM seems bleh” to “RIP Lady Gaga’s career?” Like bffr.

I’m not coming at this from any sort of slant. I really couldn’t care less whether this movie makes 10M total, or a billion dollars. But BOT used to be a place where people who knew a hell of a lot more about the box office than me used to come and discuss this very niche part of film culture. I’ve been talking to some fellow users, and it’s actually crazy how things have changed. And this thread is a sad, sad example of that. 

I’m not directing this at any one user in particular. I genuinely believe that every user on this site, whether or not you and I personally get along, whether or not you and I agree on anything at all, has something to offer. Disagreements lead to discussion, discussion piques interest, which leads to learning. These threads used to be stimulating. I felt like I was in the presence of people who were just as passionate about movies and box office as I was. But now, so many threads feel like an echo chamber of toxicity. Whether you’re blindly championing your pet franchise, or calling doom and gloom for your rival franchise, or saying cinema is dead, or that studio blockbusters are reuniting the artistry of film. It’s all so… dull.

When I was a teenager, new to these boards, I would spend hours refreshing the Forums, clicking on whatever thread had a recent post. Because almost everywhere you looked, people were passionately engaging with one another. Members were funny. The forums felt like a community. I don’t think I would ever actually leave BOT, but there’s a reason I hardly ever check a thread that’s not the tracking thread anymore. 

Again, this isn’t directed at anyone in particular. You don’t have to be a member here for the same reasons I became a member. Every conversation has value, and I’m glad this site is a place where everyone here can freely express their ideas and opinions and thoughts about film. I’m just finding it increasingly difficult to want to engage in threads that feel like pages upon pages of flame wars, doomposting, or rage bait. 

Drag these bitches...

Me included.

55 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

As it should, I mean, even when it comes to Gaga, Todd cut lot of her scenes that seemed the most interesting when it comes to her character, not sure why people should blame Gaga (or this being the end of her movie career) when she has been the first to have been done wrong by the director of the movie.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Everyone involved in this will be just fine, Phillips included. It’s going to underperform, but it won’t end any careers, least of all Phoenix and Gaga, let’s be realistic here.

Moderation

Reminder that Flopped/La Binoche is a troll who does nothing but start fights against stans of certain actresses, singers, and franchises. It's pretty impressive they've been on the forum for this long, but next time? Just report their posts. After all, trolls aren't allowed here. Or better yet, @ me. Thank youuuuuu

• Like 3