TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

2 hours ago, BigBoxOfficeBucks said:

I want to say more about it. Here is the thing, you can criticize this movie by saying Todd Philips being too on-the-nose, banging your head with that obvious message without all the subtleties. You can also criticize this movie by saying the message is uninteresting or horrible in the delivery. All these are fair criticisms. 

But, if you are saying you didn't notice the message, the very basic theme of the movie at all. You just let it fly over your head. Then, I would say you didn't pay attention at all.   

I remember the first one had the same criticism, even though the message is simple and literally spelled out, and yet those incredibly bright minds somehow still didn't notice it.

43 minutes ago, Noctis said:

How did this cost $200m? It makes ZERO sense.

I believe it is the pay check, other than that, nothing else in the look expensive, shooting on location won’t contribute much to the bloated budget, especially most of the scene such as court or jail still look like they shot in studio 

If you want to know how abysmal this film's budget management is, well:

-Shazam! Fury of the Gods had a budget of $125 million.

-John Wick: Chapter 4 had a budget of $100 million.

-Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves had a budget of $150 million.

-Transformers: Rise of the Beast had a budget that is very close to this ($200 million).

-Oppenheimer had a budget of $100 million.

-Blue Beetle had a budget of $104 million.

-The Creator had a budget of $80 million.

-The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes had a budget of $100 million.

-Wonka had a budget of $125 million.

-Dune: Part Two had a budget of $190 million.

-Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire had a budget of $100 million.

-Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire had a budget of $135 million.

-Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes had a budget of $160 million.

-Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga had a budget of $168 million.

-Bad Boys: Ride or Die had a budget of $100 million.

-Twisters had a budget of $155 million.

-Alien: Romulus had a budget of $80 million.

-Beetlejuice Beetlejuice had a budget of $100 million.

Say what you will about these films, but at least you could tell where their budgets went. I have no fricking idea why this needed $190 million to make.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably a ton of money going to the 2 main actors and the director. They might have burned $100 million on those 3 people. 

And weirdly one of the complaints was "Gaga underutilized" so they probably shouldn't have cast Gaga as Harley at all 

• Like 1

The RT Critic and Audience consensus blurbs are written as if the RT is still at 64%, not literally being halved and sitting at 32% (audience score also)

"Joaquin Phoenix's eponymous Joker takes the stand in a sequel that dances around while the story remains still, although Lady Gaga's wildcard energy gives Folie á Deux some verve."

"A broken Joker and his Lady’s voice provide Folie à Deux with enough kindling to keep a tepid fire burning for the clown prince of crime."

Those are not accurate summaries lol

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably a ton of money going to the 2 main actors and the director. They might have burned $100 million on those 3 people. 

I thought it was $20 million each for Todd and Joaquin, plus $12 million for Gaga. That's what I've seen everywhere. Makes the budget even wilder to think about. Chicago is a jailhouse/courtroom musical that was in development hell for decades and its budget with inflation is $79 million ($45m at the time). Even if you bump up the star salaries for a sequel and add Covid protocols, $140-150 million seems like the max possible budget for Joker 2.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I thought it was $20 million each for Todd and Joaquin, plus $12 million for Gaga. That's what I've seen everywhere. Makes the budget even wilder to think about. Chicago is a jailhouse/courtroom musical that was in development hell for decades and its budget with inflation is $79 million ($45m at the time). Even if you bump up the star salaries for a sequel and add Covid protocols, $140-150 million seems like the max possible budget for Joker 2.

Catherine Zeta-Jones should have been paid $20M for Chicago. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dudalb said:

Bullshit.

That is exactly what this "If you like Gaga and are a man you are gay" nonsense is.

Oh My Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Anyway.....movie was fine. It had good elements but also really eye roll moments. Save your money and stream it while you fold laundry on a Sunday. 

• Haha 1