TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don't think the receptions at Cannes were what hurt the film.

What hurt both films more was that these reviews were already published, so when both films came out, they couldn't get a free marketing pump from ending the review embargo, ensuring the films trend on social media with all the reviews being dropped at once.

Well, Cannes (and any film festival) is a public environment. You're not gonna be able to withhold reviews from getting out. Indeed the whole point of exhibiting a movie there is to announce to the world that it's one worth seeing. It's a gamble by nature.

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

These are reviews for a film in competition?!? It's even worse than I initially thought.

Not only is this film going to leave Venice with nothing, but now the marketing bump of people talking about the film due to reviews (good and bad) is also gone!

I don't know how anyone can argue that this film being in competition at Venice is better, actually than Elemental or Indiana Jones or Dune at film festivals, allowing reviews to be published far too early for the general public.

this is not granted. Panned movies has won even the Golden Lion in the past. It's a jury of 10 people decides so the taste is very personal and from very few people (they are not the average academy award member but other festival directors etc...). So could still win something.

so what i said ....if lady gaga wins an award in Venice, if Phoenix wins, if the director wins, if the screenplay wins it's absolutely prestigious for a studio (also cause really pushes the chances for an oscar nominee).

No one says no to being at Venice or Cannes in competition if invited in that sense. It's already an incredible and prestigious recognition whatever critics are gonna say and without winning an award.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cap said:

As a fan of musicals, I really hate this. Because nothing makes people hate musicals more than bad musicals. You had one job. If you weren’t committed to doing it right, then like why even do it in the first place?

Aren't the musical pieces the parts of the movie that stand out the most? At least it seems that way from what I quickly saw.

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, Cannes (and any film festival) is a public environment. You're not gonna be able to withhold reviews from getting out. Indeed the whole point of exhibiting a movie there is to announce to the world that it's one worth seeing. It's a gamble by nature.

Oh wait I think you meant like early review lifts in general aren't helpful. Yes, they aren't typically for a tentpole unless it's like really really good, but on the occasions they are that kind of enthusiastic buzz can be a huge boost. See the first Inside Out. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Not only is this film going to leave Venice with nothing, but now the marketing bump of people talking about the film due to reviews (good and bad) is also gone!

It can still win something, jury are not critics. Mayben not Golden Lion, but actress for Gaga or something supporting.

Edited by TomThomas

17 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It isn't getting panned. But it's also not getting praised. It sounds like it's an okay sequel, for better or worse. Which is damning.

the only thing can demage such an hyped sequel is its quality. First weekend will be big anyways. 

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

might be misremembering, but i think the first joker got out of venice with a 71 on mc or something like that and only began dropping till it became yellow when the Americans got here

this could still drop; not surprised by the lower score considering how much weaker these one's trailers were 

my hazy recollection is European critics liked joker far more than their American counterparts and a meme briefly did the rounds that it was because they saw an America they recognised in it a lot more than in most comic book movies 

Edited by Hatebox

That a lot of people are using phrases like "dull" probably shouldn't give one hope for the RT score improving. People will go to bat in defending a fun mess, but not a boring one.

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

That a lot of people are using phrases like "dull" probably shouldn't give one hope for the RT score improving. People will go to bat for a fun mess, but not a boring one.

yeah people now will go into the "first movie has a 50 and something too" but that was because most american critics didn't like the meaning of the movie (in a social climate where Trump was president). This is called dull, uninteresting, boring...the negative reactions are just different. 

• Like 1

The contingent of Joker fans who are fervently passionate about the movie, like that one guy who yelled at a theater attendant for a refund because he was angry the movie he went to see didn’t play the Joker 2 trailer in front of it, will probably be more emboldened to go see this if the reviews are worse because they’re the types who, among other things, dislike modern mainstream film journalism. But they’re only a select part of the audience. Mainstream audiences could be less interested now. Even if it opens within its current projected range, WOM is looking to be weaker.

Edited by Jay Beezy

51 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Nonsense; all the marketing team has to do is make a new trailer with all the terrible reviews. But ya know… fictional fake reviews.

• Haha 8