Eric Prime

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

how many 400+ dom grossers have sequels that do bigger. especially outside Avengers 3/4.

As solid as this argument is.

I will project Frozen 2 to Frozen as Shrek 2 was to Shrek or DM 2 was to DM.

What is common in these three, the original established a brand, which grow over the year, as seen in rest of world in case of Frozen 2 (ffs in India, you know how bad animations are, it crossed F1 lifetime in one day).

Now 400mn in 2013 wasn't as big as that it was at saturation level, so expecting a bumper growth is totally normal.

And Incredibles 2 happened in 2018, so its not like an animation can't do 600.

On closing note, if boxoffice was game of precedence, explain how Endgame opens 357mn and 1200mn whatever worldwide for a 23rd film in a franchise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Massive opening for Elsa and co. over here.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_21_a_24_novembro_2019_326105ddbbeffb9501.pdf

I expect an insane run until early January. 

Frozen is going to smash 3M for sure.

And OH. MY. SHIT. at Joker. It's approaching 5M and 900K tickets sold. InGoddamnsanity.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

People who like the original will eat this up like crazy I'm certain it will probably finish just around 500 million domestic

I was obsessed with the let it go song, i right now am a 40 year old man.

When frozen 1 came out i didn't like the villain reveal so much, for me it was like it came from nowhere but i liked the movie overall and i loved the song let it go, i was obsessed watching the covers in you tube all the time, i also, put at the time the song in my playlist at work. It is such a great song. (So imagine my clients faces when they saw a Bearish 30 something guy serving them coffee an cake sing it let it go almost out loud lol)

Now i am 40 year old and i watched frozen 2 already at the theaters, it was good but i think that not having another smash hit song like let it go will hurts Frozen II legs, it is already of course a huge box office hit but imagine if it have another really catchy song how much bigger it could be.

I agree what somebody else wrote here, they should have put the song let it go somewhere in the movie and not just that little cameo, imagine all the kids, and mothers and parents singing let it go again at the movie theater watching frozen 2.

Gonna watch Frozen II for the second time at the teather because is my sister birthday and i will take her out for sushi and to see Frozen II, even if she don't want to see frozen II i still are gonna see it again at the theater.

Wanted to add tha Let it go and Elsa and Anna are huge cultural icons, where i live there is a shopping mall and every Christmas time there is let it go at full volume with Anna and Elsa greeting kids and people and taking pictures with them, at that mall Elsa and Ana are on par with Santa every Christmas at that mall.

I truly believe that Frozen II would be the biggest movie from 2019 outgrossing Star Wars 9 and TLK. I still can see it but i am not so sure anymore.

Edited by edmkh

33 minutes ago, Feanor said:

I thought the songs in F2 were superior to the songs from F1

Then again, F2’s songs are much more theatrical so I guess that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Show Yourself, I thought it was pretty good before the movie but watching that scene was incredible. Imo it's on par with let it go but of course won't have the same success.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

What is common in these three, the original established a brand, which grow over the year, as seen in rest of world in case of Frozen 2 (ffs in India, you know how bad animations are, it crossed F1 lifetime in one day).

Now 400mn in 2013 wasn't as big as that it was at saturation level, so expecting a bumper growth is totally normal.

On closing note, if boxoffice was game of precedence, explain how Endgame opens 357mn and 1200mn whatever worldwide for a 23rd film in a franchise.

bc one animated, movie made 600 dom , that doesnt mean, that we should expect it from others too, you are a very good user, however imo you have a weird way of thinking, , if you think that 450-500 is dissapointing for frozen 2, i can see some of your points, but to call age of utlron a dissapointment, when only  other 2 superhero movie made more than 1,4 is just ............ and its also the sequel with the lowest drop i think, in this scale

Edited by john2000

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am glad TLK didn't cross 2b.

I do not wish to see 2b ww club got cheapen this easily like what happened to 1b club now. 

if lion king had hit 2 billion though, and we had 6 2 billion movies , it wouldnt make the club cheap, the opposite, it would show even more thats its extremely hard to hit 2 billion,

1 billion is also hard to achieve still, if you see the movies that hit 1 billion and made it look easy were comicbook movies, and big big franchise movies, plus remakes, and thats it

16 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

agree that some possibility of frozen2 doing 550-600 was there but am probably zoned it on 485 being considered awful or even disappointing.

there are as many cases of sequels to even well liked films not increasing despite much smaller numbers than 400. none of the httyds grew over their predecessors. kfps didn't either. monster's uni after years of inflation ended close to monster's inc even accounting for competition from dm3. wir2 grew <10 % from wir1. rare cases like shrek2's or dm2's growth shouldn't be held over frozen2 to the degree of being disappointed by 20% growth over 400.

i2 is an even rarer case and the cbm era also helped it and could be more 4-quad than f2. a performance like i2 can create a best case benchmark for future films but never an acceptance/disappointment benchmark imo.

because bo performance in not very predictable even for studios and professionals - i doubt if dm1 was that much more liked than kfp1 if at all, and yet the latter's sequel did half of dm2 - we should celebrate increases over predecessors in a liberal manner imo.

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

if lion king had hit 2 billion though, and we had 6 2 billion movies , it wouldnt make the club cheap, the opposite, it would show even more thats its extremely hard to hit 2 billion,

1 billion is also hard to achieve still, if you see the movies that hit 1 billion and made it look easy were comicbook movies, and big big franchise movies, plus remakes, and thats it

what non-sense is this? How can you convince someone that something is not possible by showing them that actually happened?

You sound like there were no CBM  or big big franchise in the last few decades, 

25 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am glad TLK didn't cross 2b.

I do not wish to see 2b ww club got cheapen this easily like what happened to 1b club now. 

That's fair.

For folks saying music wasn't nearly  as good.....

Lost in the Woods, Into the Unknown, Show Yourself, The Next Right Thing, When I was older, All is Found. So many good choices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a2k said:

how many 400+ dom grossers have sequels that do bigger. especially outside Avengers 3/4.

Well the 400+ mark is related to inflation, so it could only include recent movies.

Sequels have outperformed in the past, look at BB -> TDK or especially the King's T1 -> T2.

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well the 400+ mark is related to inflation, so it could only include recent movies.

Sequels have outperformed in the past, look at BB -> TDK or especially the King's T1 -> T2.

how many have done so, compared to those that have merely done well, stayed flat despite acceptable reception, to render 475-490 a disappointment for f2?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, edmkh said:

Thinking out loud here.

Frozen 2 will be huge but think about what if they make Frozen III how huge it will be if they marketed as the conclusion or the finale of the trilogy.

Problem with Frozen is  no matter how popular they are, they can only touch their core demographic + some collateral consumer group whereas Pixar film like FD, i2 or TS4, they are not only attracting those families but too extend their target base beyond their usual demo.  

• Like 1