cax16

Kingdom of the Planet Of The Apes | May 10, 2024 | Wes Ball to develop and direct

1 hour ago, ZeroHour said:

I think we're only going to see more of this after last summer. No one wants to be Indy 5 sitting there for weeks with middling/bad reviews dragging down the marketing campaign. Studios increasingly don't have a grasp on whether their movies will review well and the risks of an early embargo killing momentum outweigh the potential benefits of glowing reviews bumping up interest a week or two in advance. Plus culture moves on so quickly now. You could argue it's better for a movie to have positive reviews hit when someone can buy a ticket for the next day than have them come out a month in advance and then have all that buzz dissipate long before the release date hits like Fall Guy. 

There is something to be said for the verdict being withheld until close to release. If everyone's doing it, it no longer has the stigma of the movie being "dumped", and with all these EA screenings it gives audiences the ability to go into a movie with less prejudice.

25 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Nuke this asshole into oblivion.

Imagine this dude trying to interview much more established people with decades of experience in the industry like Ryan Gosling or Emily Blunt lmao. After 10 seconds they would be like "nope, not doing this" and walk away from this obvious clown.

Posted (edited)

Have just seen this. I understand why some have described it as boring or too cerebral, but I don't share the same sentiment. I like movies that take time and this is one example of that. I thought Ball did a great job with paying homage to the previous films and setting up what's to come. The visuals were gorgeous especially the night shots. The tracking shots were immaculate. And the musical score was amazing. I thought Noa's character was a stand out.

The movie is not without its flaws. I think I have to give the previous trilogy a rewatch just to make sure I didn't misunderstand some of the choices made here. I also think I need to watch this again once it becomes available on streaming because there were instances when I couldn't understand the dialog, especially from the apes with bigger voices. They were not very clear to me. Overall this was a good start to hopefully a new trilogy and I hope it finds a good amount of audience. We need more movies like this.

7.75/10

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Holy hell this is so embarrassing lmfao. Where did they dig this fool up from? Do they just not vet reporters for these red carpet events anymore?

I hate TikTokers with a passion and I can’t wait for the app to be banned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Helloo 😀

I am happy to eat my words. Glad this wasn't a critical flop. Looking forward to seeing the movie this weekend :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I just finished the Apes trilogy on Disney+ and am ready for Kingdom tomorrow night.

All the old movies from the 60s and 70s are on there too right?

• Like 1

Apes largely ruled. Takes its time. Rich in character writing and world building. The motion capture is absolutely breathtaking. Had a really good time and was totally immersed in it. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

This was fantastic - the best of the franchise and easily the most memorable. A few parts were a bit too long, but otherwise it was completely engaging.

Ending was absolutely incredible. I truly did not expect it to be this great. I'm sure WOM is going to be strong enough that a sequel is basically guaranteed.

Also - very happy for Wes Ball. He's a talented filmmaker.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, AniNate said:

Like it or not it's only gotten more prominent in the last few years. Everyone who follows movies cares about it as much as they like to pretend they don't.

The minutiae of following the ups and downs is fairly pointless, yes, but it does matter at a high level when people are trying to decide what movie they want to see this weekend.

What a stupid way to decide something to Watch or play ecc ecc

see a score 🤡 

Decided I should throw my hat in the ring of box office perdictions.

I’m thinking $55.7 million. assuming 5 million previews and a 11x internal multiplier. 

$18 million Friday 

$21 million Saturday (16% increase from Friday, which feels a little low but I’m being a little conservative)

$16 million Sunday (26% decrease from Saturday, but I think it depends on WOM and maybe a higher Saturday will result in a lower Sunday)

or if Saturday has a sizable increase, which would indicate good word of mouth 

$18 million Friday

$27 million Saturday 

$16 million Sunday (harsher Sunday drop)

$61 million weekend (although I think this is unlikely)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m kinda surprised that the verified audience score is only 81% for this.

I just seen it and man the visuals were incredible. I was also really impressed with the villain for this one.

Edited by poweranimals

Honestly it feels a lot like the fantasy adventures we used to get in the 80s and 90s like Conan or Excalibur even. So I was pretty blown away to get those vibes captured so closely on the big screen in 2024. And yes it's slow but it's certainly not boring - the last set piece is one of the most exciting things I've seen all year. Incredible franchise. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

this was alright but probably rank somewhere in the middle of the entire franchise , the main actress was the weakest link

Agreed on that ranking, but the difference in quality between the good 5 and the bad 5 is a steeeeeeep drop. 

Edited by SaltyPistola

18 hours ago, Squire said:

That’s one of the bad things about RT. If a movie is not in the 90s, then it isn’t “good enough” to go see. People see a score in the 70s and 80s and assume the movie is mediocre. 

It is so dumb.

90%+ amazeballs!!!

around 80% meh, i guess i might go see it, if i don't have anything better to do...

• Like 1