cax16

Kingdom of the Planet Of The Apes | May 10, 2024 | Wes Ball to develop and direct

17 hours ago, DeeCee said:

This reminds me that I have to finish the last Maze Runner movie.

Why do you "need" to?  If you need to be reminded, then it obviously wasn't essential enough to you to finish it. 😉😂  And that's on the movie, it's not on you...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

https://discussingfilm.net/2020/05/26/wes-ball-gives-an-update-on-his-upcoming-planet-of-the-apes-continuation-exclusive-interview/

Your name has been thrown around a lot lately with the announcement of new The Planet of the Apes films, but sadly the ongoing pandemic has shut down most production work. How has your pre-production on the project been affected during this time?

WB: The truth is, my heart goes out to everyone and the times we’re living in are obviously historical. We’ll be looking at these moments taught in schools in 20, 30, 50 years. So I’m trying to make the best of it and trying to understand the moment we’re living through. As my job, I see it as being an entertainer and storyteller who tries to give people an escape from their everyday lives. That’s still very much on my mind, still very much my motivation and directive.

Now you’re right, production is shut down. But we were kind of unique, me and my company and crew. We were in the development phase. So we’re writing. I was already meeting with my writer Josh Friedman on Zoom for weeks before this all hit. We already had a routine of jumping on Zoom and chatting about the script. In that sense, nothing has really changed. What I found a little bit myself is that I’ve been incredibly bursting with ideas in this time. I guess maybe because of being locked up? I’m pretty fortunate that I have an escape. I have a loft that I share with my screenwriter buddy T.S Nowlin – so it’s kind of a little retreat from home to go and try to be creative, productive, and work on my projects.

I have just had tons of inspiration lately on show ideas and the current stuff we’re working on. All of that can continue basically. In a weird way, the Zoom calls and FaceTime chats have demonstrated that I actually don’t need to drive an hour across town to have these meetings. I’m totally fine to do it here in my pajamas with whoever. So I actually think this moment is going to change our business pretty significantly in the future, once we get on the other side of it all.

With Planet of the Apes, what can you say about how your film will continue the story of Matt Reeves’ series?

WB: Matt did the last two movies and obviously I worked with Matt on Mouse Guard, he was my producer. I’m trying to figure out what I can say because frankly, for Maze Runner we had these secret codings so we could avoid fans coming in and taking pictures of the set and all that crazy stuff. That’s times a hundred with Planet of the Apes, it’s just a bigger pool that we’re swimming in here. So I have to be careful. But when Mouse Guard fell apart, it was pretty quickly said, “Look we’re not going to do Mouse Guard, but what would you do with The Planet of the Apes?”

We were using the same material, the same kind of technology, we were using a lot of the same people involved – I had asked Andy Serkis to join Mouse Guard. So it was kind of natural fit. I understand where it came from and my big thing was: what do you do for a Planet of the Apes sequel? One, those last three movies are one of the great trilogies we have in modern movie history. They are just so well done. They honored the original movies they sprang from, the Charlton Heston movies, but they grounded it in a modern sensibility and it just worked. Caesar is one of the great movie characters that we’ll have throughout time. So what do you do to follow that up, right? At the same time, I wasn’t interested in doing a part four either. We want to also do our own thing.

We have a take. We have a way of staying in the universe that was created before us, but we’re also opening ourselves up in being able to do some really cool new stuff. Again, I’m trying to be careful here. I’ll say this, for fans of the original three don’t worry – you’re in good hands. The original writers and producers that came up with Rise and Dawn, Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, they’re also on board with this. Josh Friedman is writing this thing, a lot of the same crew is kind of involved. We will feel like we’re part of that original trilogy, but at the same time we’re able to do some really cool new stuff. It will be really exciting to see on the biggest screen possible.

Before we move on, what can you say about the status of Planet of the Apes?

WB: Well, Planet of the Apes is moving forward and we have a giant art team cranking away on some incredible concept art. We’ve got the screenplay continuing to move forward, that will take the time that it takes and so that’s all good. Planet of the Apes is moving forward baby! Not only that, but we could actually be in virtual production relatively soon because it’s largely a CG movie.

• Like 2

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-death-on-the-nile-sequel-and-free-guy-future-1235103538/

How many theatrical features are you planning for ’23, ’24?

It goes like the other divisions, two or three theatrical movies a year. We’re navigating the marketplace like everyone else. There are movies like Avatar, Planet of the Apes and now Free Guy that have well-established theatrical precedence for a wide audience.

What’s new with Planet of the Apes?

We are expecting a draft very shortly, and it’s Wes Ball attached to direct. We hope to go by the late summer, early fall.

• Like 1

"It goes like the other divisions, two or three theatrical movies a year."

From a major studio that just 5 years ago was releasing 16-17 theatrical movies a year (not counting Searchlight), to this. WB also announced they're reducing the number of theatrical releases to around 10 (they released 17 last year). It's the end of the road for non-franchise films in theaters. (Sorry to comment this on a specific movie thread but I haven't seen this being discussed anywhere else)

22 minutes ago, Eric the Lion said:

snoop-dogg-who.gif

He's probably still best known for playing one of the bullies that bit the dust in IT: Chapter One.

Must've really impressed the producers to land the lead ape in this reboot (? I assume it is). Hopefully this lives up to the unexpectedly terrific 2010s trilogy.

10 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

What else needs to be said that wasn't said in the previous 9 (?) movies?

I enjoyed the first couple of the most recent films, but, trankly, the major themes of the whole franchise were pretty much made in the first 1967 movie.

Charleton  Heston as first refused to appear in the first sequel, since he though all the thematic points that could be made had been made in the first, and a sequel would just be more adventures among the apes, not worth doing. In the end they offered him a feature film salary for a few days work , but he insisted that the ending be changed so the world was destoryed, eliminating the possiblities of any future sequels. But, as Heston admitted in his memoirs, it did not work; they still found a way to make more sequels.

Edited by dudalb

22 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The lack of theaters in that 20th Century tweet makes me think this is more Hulu fodder like Prey was. Not quite sure the Apes franchise is in anywhere near of a rut as Predator was, but after War underperformed it's understandable.

They've already mentioned in interviews that Planet of the Apes is going to be a theatrical franchise like Avatar and Free Guy. And even if War underperformed, it still made nearly $500 million. I'm not convinced it will make as much (the no-name cast and no Caesar might be a problem financially), but that's still an impressive haul that shows the popularity of the franchise even on the lower end.

• Like 1