Eric Burnett

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Needs Rogue One legs at 3.4 multi for $600M. 

I think that's the best it can possibly hope for... 3.4. It's certainly not out yet of the question just yet either.

If it's as liked as others are implying, we'll see outstanding hold starting this week and especially next weekend.

• Like 1

There were a lot of down arrows for a long time for the new Star Wars. Merch sales in Disney earnings reports declining quarter over quarter, year over year, Google Trends figures during the year averaging lower, official Youtube video views down, etc..  You take that with the 'finale effect' that reduces the stamina of marketed last act movies and well, this is the result.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

I really have no eggs in the basket. I’m not a Star Wars fan. I’m not a TLJ fan. I’m actually getting a headache arguing with people over this so I’m leaving it alone. 

But as I keep saying regarding this topic: one “bad” film in a sea of very solid ones (TFA, Rogue One, Han Solo) is a reason to stop supporting a franchise. Okay then. 

Hehe. Fair enough on wanting to leave it there. I just can't. It's like a scab I can't help picking. Only because I found all the movies you mentioned to be mediocre at best. And, again, this is not from the perspective of someone who is a die-hard OT fan (I think I first watched them when I was 13-14, so like 2000-2001).

Still, I'll watch TROS tonight - as I do most movies. I will always try to judge a movie on its merits and, even when bias is present, I will still watch the movie before forming a final opinion.

It's just that I feel like the argument about the criticism of TLJ stemming from fans upset about the OT characters being "mistreated" is misplaced. 

Anyway, as you said, we shall leave it here. :D 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

If Marvel made Infinity War / Endgame right after the first Avengers movie, it could be the same situation.

One, how can Infinity War be made after 1st Avengers.

Two, no matter when Infinity War was made, it would have done what it did. The film is great and reason for Endgame doing what it did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Hehe. Fair enough on wanting to leave it there. I just can't. It's like a scab I can't help picking. Only because I found all the movies you mentioned to be mediocre at best. And, again, this is not from the perspective of someone who is a die-hard OT fan (I think I first watched them when I was 13-14, so like 2000-2001).

Still, I'll watch TROS tonight - as I do most movies. I will always try to judge a movie on its merits and, even when bias is present, I will still watch the movie before forming a final opinion.

It's just that I feel like the argument about the criticism of TLJ stemming from fans upset about the OT characters being "mistreated" is misplaced. 

Anyway, as you said, we shall leave it here. :D 

I know I said I’d leave it at that BUT I do want to say that I don’t believe that TLJ being disliked by folks is only because of the mistreated characters. I just wanted to keep that post shorter and not make it in a wiki article about the reasons why people may have disliked it. 

And to keep this post short, what @pepsa said in their post on the other page is how I feel like about this topic. They actually summed up my thoughts and better articulated by thoughts for me lol But I hope you enjoy TROS :) Let me know how you like it! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cats won't even make $50M total. Been a while since the musical genre saw a flat-out bomb like this.

Do you think thanks to it we will see less musicals now, after 2020 (which has like 213221 musicals)

Edited by Damianport1

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

"The evil  SW die hard fandom is just a vocal minority of die hard virgins in their basements it doesn't mean anything. People will go see a Star Wars movie just cause it's Star Wars."

...You sure about that chief?

I don’t think anyone believes that. On either side of the argument. Maybe Disney execs did. 

Just now, Damianport1 said:

Do you think thanks to it we will have less musicals now, after 2020 (which have like 213221)

Doubt it. In the Heights and West Side Story come out within the next year and seem like easy hits. Everyone will probably just go about pretending that this doesn't exist.