Eric the Ape

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This movie is getting more focus and "panic posts" because its no ordinary film. It's meant to be the finale of a 40 years old saga. You don't want the final movie to possibly earn less than a R rated Joker movie. You also don't want the final movie to make less than the previous ones.  When i say "you", I'm talking about Disney. These numbers are big, but disappointing at the same time when you take everything into account.

Or is it the finale of a beloved franchise that’s already had two finales before? And the 5th film in 4 years? 

Just like you wouldn’t want your finale getting out grossed by a sequel to a pirate theme park ride a year later? 

Star Wars has been here before as I have evidenced. So when people say it isn’t liked etc, but then tell me the prequels were much better received and did better -  it’s why I have to say these things.  You know...facts. 

Judge TROS on what SW finales have done in the past etc and I think you’ll find there’s no such cause for alarm.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gokira2012 said:

That's a garbage ranking

Revenge of the sith is better than Rougue one and a new hope, and phantom menace is better than the force awakens and the clone wars is better than Rise of Skywalker, Rise of Skywalker isn't even worth the bandwidth to pirate

Great attitude. Credit to yourself sir. 

7 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

Id rather take Disappointing over FLOP.

but I agree, I had this film at 1.3-1.5 range for most of the year so this is disappointing

Im wondering at the current rate what are the chances it crosses a Billion?

I think this movie will still make 1 billion worldwide. I've seen worse movies making more than 1 billion. TROS isn't that bad. 

I hope people enjoy this movie. 

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Or is it the finale of a beloved franchise that’s already had two finales before? And the 5th film in 4 years? 

Just like you wouldn’t want your finale getting out grossed by a sequel to a pirate theme park ride a year later? 

Star Wars has been here before as I have evidenced. So when people say it isn’t liked etc, but then tell me the prequels were much better received and did better -  it’s why I have to say these things.  You know...facts. 

Judge TROS on what SW finales have done in the past etc and I think you’ll find there’s no such cause for alarm.  

Do you think Disney will act that way? 

and also no one at least I’m not saying the prequels did better in saying they opened better which they did which shows the fans were more interested than they are now. Also TPM will undoubtedly have done better than 2/3 of this trilogy just a fact like you say

Edited by boomboom234
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jking123 said:

it would still be on track for 1-1.5 billion?

I mean, there's a big difference between the two. Half a billion, to be precise.

It was never doing 1.5, but now I suppose 1B CAN be touch-and-go, though probably still safe. Which, in isolation, is a huge number. But this is a SW movie - the finale to the saga at that. It's about expectations as much as it is about raw numbers...

20 minutes ago, Nova said:

As @Deep Wang mentioned earlier, if you’re done with a franchise because of ONE movie then I have to question whether you were actually a fan of it to begin with

I mean, most people aren’t huge SW fans, right? They’re casual fans, and that’s the sort of person who might go from “oh a new Star Wars this month, those are fun, guess I’ll go see it with the fam.” to “another Star Wars this month? The last one was kind of a mess and trying to talk to people about it nowadays is awful, let’s just see Jumanji or Frozen for the holidays.”

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nova said:

TROS box office has more to do with it getting a meh reaction than anything else. TLJ was not hated to the point where its “sequel” is going to open to $50M less than it.

But it was, it lost big part of its audience on opening weekend because people didn't want to see it after TLJ.

It had great reviews and I’ll say a meh reaction overall from audiences: some people loved it and some people didn’t. It wasn’t like everyone who walked out of that movie hated it. 

It had terrible legs on Christmas and Solo was a huge bomb after TLJ, so enough people hated it. This is not a coincidence.

I know someone smart is gonna bring up the drop between TFA and TLJ to prove that people didn’t like TLJ but did any of you consider that there was always going to be that big of a drop between the two films? TFA was so hyped up. TFA is not the standard for Star Wars films at the box office. It was an exception. It would be equal to people asking why the next Avenger’s movie saw a huge drop from End Game.

Then why F&F8, JW:FK, Age of Ultron, Deadpool 2 (as a sequel to syper hyped up movie) didn't drop that much (percentage wise)?

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think this movie will still make 1 billion worldwide. I've seen worse movies making more than 1 billion. TROS isn't that bad. 

I hope people enjoy this movie. 

This movie will not crack a billion, It will struggle to make $900 Million

8 minutes ago, jking123 said:

wait I thought despite lower opening than expected it would still be on track for 1-1.5 billion? Or are legs gonna be suspect?

1075-1125 ww imo

176-177 ow, good 3x, 525 dom

47.7-52.3 dom-os split gives 525+575=1100

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

The MCU had a few duds (the first two Thor films, Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron) but that didn’t stop audiences from seeing Iron Man 3 or Thor 3 or the next Avengers film. Why? Because they were well received. 

Because they moved on. As @Deep Wang said, 1 movie cannot easily hurt an entire established franchise. What turned a lot of fans and non-fans off was the constant bickering between the fans and RJ/Disney/media that went on for months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I mean, most people aren’t huge SW fans, right? They’re casual fans, and that’s the sort of person who might go from “oh a new Star Wars this month, those are fun, guess I’ll go see it with the fam.” to “another Star Wars this month? The last one was kind of a mess and trying to talk to people about it nowadays is awful, let’s just see Jumanji or Frozen for the holidays.”

I imagine Star Wars is like Marvel. It has its die hard fans and its casual fans. 

TLJ wasn’t a mess. It wasn’t BvS level of mess where the majority of folks hated it. It had a small minority of folks that hated it because of what Rian Johnson did to the characters or whatever. So I’d imagine that level of detail that’s upsetting a huge Star Wars fan would go over the head of a casual Star Wars fan anyways. The only way discussing TLJ would be awful is if you’re talking to a fan who understands the characters enough to know that Rian “messed” up. 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-opening-weekend-box-office-cats-bombshell-1202814594/

5th Update Early Sunday AM: Refresh for more analysis, chart coming According to industry estimates Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker had a steeper Saturday than expected with $48M, -47% from Friday (+ previews)’s figure of $90.2M which now puts the ninth-quel’s opening weekend at around $179M+, $14.7M lower than what industry sources were seeing yesterday morning. 

they using a -15% Sun

90.2+48+40.8=179

(that 90.2 should go down though going by JediJat's numbers)

Oy, Universal/Amblin/Working Title’s CatsIt’s now down to an estimated $6.5M for the weekend in 4th place after a $2.1M Saturday that was -18% from Friday. Lionsgate/Bron’s Bombshell was also down Saturday around -4% from Friday with $1.77M putting its 6th place second weekend (first wide weekend) at $5.1M. Why are we picking on Cats more than Bombshell when these types of adult movies are apt to be found after Christmas? Bombshell has better reviews and significantly a better audience response, plus will ride the awards season wave. Cats cost more, $80M-$90M, versus Bombshell‘s $32M net production cost, plus the feature adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical is so far hated by the few who’ve seen it. And keep this in mind: Those who actually went out of their way in a Star Wars weekend to see Cats are the ones who wanted to see it (meaning the fans of the show).

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1