Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

2 hours ago, Feanor said:

Agreed, It’s gonna be very tricky.

Continuing to please older fans will most likely lead to further decline and diminishing box office returns, but would be the “safer” option, at least initially, while trying something new and fresh could capture the attention of new audiences, especially in emerging market, but it could also completely backfire in that everyone, new and old, rejects that approach.

LF/Disney has some crucial decisions to make.

I don’t think TROS tried to please old fans.  The film pretended to do, but the main problems the old fans criticized were seldom fixed. None of the old fans I know liked the film.  SW fans are not hard to please. TFA is just a copy of ANH, but people loved it.  “Kill the past“ is not a good idea for a more than 40 year old franchise when you summon the original casts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

re-watching TPM. JJB has made the entry and they go under-water. perfectly pleasing so far.

23 minutes ago, a2k said:

45 minutes in. starting to drag a bit :ph34r:.

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Just wait for the scene where Jar Jar puts his foot into literal camel shit. Best scene.

😄

too much time on tatooine. skip. race is boring. solid 10+ min can be trimmed from the plot here.

child acting bland sadly (consistent with grown up self to say the least).

poignant goodbye to mom.darth maul appearance adds some life. (1hr 15min in)

Edited by a2k

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

😄

too much time on tatooine. skip. race is boring. solid 10+ min can be trimmed from the plot here.

poignant goodbye to mom.darth maul appearance adds some life.

Brace yourself. Youll go through 30 minutes of trade negotiations before getting to the actual half-decent part of the film (Battle of Naboo).

Quick thoughts on Bombshell: 

The story is kinda all over the place in the beginning (it’s actually a mess without a clear focus) which ruins the movie a bit. But the second half is very solid and if the first half was more focused like the second, I’d imagine the response both critically and audience wise would be better. 

Second thing is Charlize and Nicole did such a great job portraying Megyn and Gretchen. Charlize even got the voice down pat which got me thinking about how god damn annoying Megyn Kelly’s voice is. Good lord how did people watch that woman speak?

Margot Robbie also did a phenomenal job in her role. She’s imo the most talented actress with the most promise of her age group and it showed in this film. 

Overall I’d give the film a 6/10. It has very strong performances but the story in the beginning is all over the place which brought down the score. 

Side note: the scene with Geraldo Rivera and Sean Hannity got the theater cracking up. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Brace yourself. Youll go through 30 minutes of trade negotiations before getting to the actual half-decent part of the film (Battle of Naboo).

Well that is totally false. In fact there is not a single minute of trade negotiations in that part of the film so you just made that up.

1 hour ago, Walt Disney said:

A few months ago. It’s very new. I remember reading about it finally coming out in like August or September. But it doesn’t include premium formats, so I still like AMC A-list better.

I had no idea about it. I remember AMC marketing theirs all over the place but I feel like Regal didn’t do that? I mean I just saw it cause I happened to go to a Regal theater lol 

32 minutes ago, a2k said:

😄

poignant goodbye to mom.darth maul appearance adds some life. (1hr 15min in)

28 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I am there. (1hr 45min)

FANTASTIC visuals of Coruscant. Naboo in the earlier parts was beautiful too.

Palp, Yoda, council increased excitement. Senate shot was great.

Things amp up compared to Tatooine but yes, too chatty those negotiations are.

(Midichlorians, microscopic organisms living inside cells 😄)

Don't mind Jar Jar that much tbh.

21 minutes ago, Menor said:

Well that is totally false. In fact there is not a single minute of trade negotiations in that part of the film so you just made that up.

That was just me mememing the meme of the Trade negotiations :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, a2k said:

I am there. (1hr 45min)

What can be really appreciated about the prequels (next to the godlike music) is the world building. The Star Wars Universe seems just way bigger and fantastical in Episodes I-III imo than in the other 2 trilogys.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, a2k said:

I am there. (1hr 45min)

Funny thing the Senate and Jedi Council parts are some of my favorite in the film. Visuals are beautiful and thematically they hit a lot of the things that make SW so powerful to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Force Ghost Cap said:

Counterpoint, 

JJ Abrams didn't leave Rian with a clear plan. He also didn't direct it.  If he had done either, TLJ might've been not "the most divisive and fan dividing film of all".  So, still JJ's fault.

True.  But if you say it's Disney's fault, you invite people to run rampant with conspiracy theories.  If you say it's Kathleen Kennedy's fault, you invite people to run rampant with sexist complaints.  I have zero interest in or time for either.  I'm not passing the buck.  This is on JJ.  

I think it's fairly simpler imo. There's two guilty people: Rian Johnson AND the guy at Disney who thought having 2 (or 3!) different directors for a trilogy is a good idea.

JJ directed TFA and that was a huge success. After such an accomplishment, I find it extremely improbable for him NOT to tell RJ about his vision for the future. RJ decided to ignore JJ's plans and directed TLJ his way. He did so poorly. JJ had no choice but to spend the whole third movie giving answers and explanations for TLJ and try to reconnect the SW fans by making a very fan-service driven movie.

As for Iger or Kathleen, I don't think they are guilty for this. I'd only say they were naive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, a2k said:

I am there. (1hr 45min)

36 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What can be really appreciated about the prequels (next to the godlike music) is the world building. The Star Wars Universe seems just way bigger and fantastical in Episodes I-III imo than in the other 2 trilogys.

29 minutes ago, Menor said:

Funny thing the Senate and Jedi Council parts are some of my favorite in the film. Visuals are beautiful and thematically they hit a lot of the things that make SW so powerful to me.

25 minutes ago, Moviefanfr said:

TPM is my favorite of the prequels, I really like the whole movie until the final battle. 

Jar Jar ruins the ground battle for me and Anakin destroying the capital ship accidentally Is ridiculous. 

the lightsaber fight is awesome.

Strong finish, really liked most of the last 30 minutes. Great music and sound design to go with breathtaking imagery.

Jar Jar started to get on the nerves. Anakin every time he talks...it's just bad delivery. Can't be much hard on the child actor though.

The entire saber fight was top notch. DM looses despite having the higher ground 😊

>10 minutes on Tatooine and >5 on Coruscant could have trimmed 15-20 minutes from the movie easily. Toning down Jar Jar and better acting from the kid could have improved the movie considerably. The world of SW was competently set up and easy to drown into it, much like with PJ's middle-earth.

Gentleman's B-

(Will do AOTC after a day or two. Fear for me.)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2