Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

If they target $200-$300 million box office hits with a lower budget, then they may be okay. The ONLY scheduled Marvel film with the chance of hitting $1 billion WW and/or $500 million domestic is Black Panther 2. Strange and Thor won't do it. GOTG3 won't do it (that ship has sailed). Eternals and Shang-Chi are complete wildcards but there's no reason to project them coming close. And Black Widow? Can anyone say "Solo"?

I'd go out on a limb and say that absolutely NO film has a chance of $600 million domestic in the next 10 years perhaps. That includes any Avatar movie. TROS was the last chance and they blew it.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

So I’m currently at the theaters and we just bought our tickets from the box office. My friend is choosing the movie. We were told Jumanji and Knives Out were sold out upon asking for seats. My friend goes “What’s bombshell?” 

The guy behind us “It’s about the Fox News lady.” 

Employee in the ticket booth “I think my girl friend is making me watch that later tonight.” 

My friend “Okay we are watching bombshell.” 

Thank you to the 50 something year old woman who was in front of us that picked to watch Bombshell because now that’s what my friend and I are watching. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

If they target $200-$300 million box office hits with a lower budget, then they may be okay. The ONLY scheduled Marvel film with the chance of hitting $1 billion WW and/or $500 million domestic is Black Panther 2. Strange and Thor won't do it. GOTG3 won't do it (that ship has sailed). Eternals and Shang-Chi are complete wildcards but there's no reason to project them coming close. And Black Widow? Can anyone say "Solo"?

I'd go out on a limb and say that absolutely NO film has a chance of $600 million domestic in the next 10 years perhaps. That includes any Avatar movie. TROS was the last chance and they blew it.

a 400+ surprise like the 2d hunger games in 2012 will be a 600+ within the next 10 years going by inflation and premium prices.

who knew black panther would do 700 or jw1 would do 650+. to say 0 chance of 600 for a decade is too much. there's a better shot of getting a 1b dom film within a decade.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Eternals and Shang-Chi are complete wildcards but there's no reason to project them coming close. And Black Widow?

Black Widow (first Disney MCU after Endgame) and Eternals (Game of Thrones bump) are locked to make $1 billion+.

Anything could happen for Shang-Chi, it depends how those two are received.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

This trilogy is so freaking weird.

It s like the 3 movies have a beef with each other.

This trilogy is like a Three acts play of a divorce.

And it ends on a tragic & sour note.

I owe you a like, b/c this is such a beautiful description of the trilogy, where each film separately is better than the 3 brought together as a whole (now, mind you, none of them are very good, and some still are terrible, but not as terrible as they are when brought together as a group:)...

54 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Mandalorian proves to me that Star Wars fans are actually not that hard to please when it's outside the core Skywalker Saga. Same with the reception of Rogue One too. 

Which bodes well for whatever they do in the future. Now they just need to get the GA on board too. 

Nah,  now they just need to write a start to finish story, even if it's a simple one. 

Get the building blocks right - good plot, good dialogue, good acting, innovative special effects - and the rest will come.  

And assume an audience which does NOT follow the outside material...make the movie able to stand on its own without it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Firepower said:

TLJ left nothing for TROS, it killed off big bad guy, killed off Luke, concluded most of the key plot points, left no hook or reason to see the final movie. JJ honestly didn't have a chance to make a good movie out of that mess he got.

You end the movie with a beaten Resistance that are seeing the First Order to grow fast commanded by a mad villain that could do anything since he kill his own master, and now they need to discover how to win with so little chances. I mean, you doesn't really need more hook than that, maybe commercially is not the ideal, but is more than enough to write a good sequel.

Actually, going deeper than that, if they followed TLJ plot they're not only have this hook, but they also could have:

- Kylo becoming the villain of the movie without an redemption arc (something you know, fresh);

- Poe doing Leia job and fighting to bring people to a broke resistance;

- An ultimate fight between Rey and Kylo after they're doubts in TLJ (which could also use they're connection in very cool ways);

- Rey learning how to become what she need to become as a Jedi, instead of appear knowing everything;

- Even Luke could appear in the movie helping Rey to finish her training.

The list can go on, the problem here is not that TLJ didn't left good set-ups, is that what TLJ left didn't fit Disney desires anymore because it's not relied in easter eggs, mysteries, nostalgia etc. They see part of fandom rejecting TLJ and they think that just ignore this movie and make another funny adventure movie that is cool to watch despite making the entire trilogy looks like a mess is enough, and i understand that, it's the safe and easy choice, but it didn't work because it's not well written and because they choose to make an incoherent movie, not because TLJ solve everything.

9 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Black Widow (first Disney MCU after Endgame) and Eternals (Game of Thrones bump) are locked to make $1 billion+.

Anything could happen for Shang-Chi, it depends how those two are received.

Game of thrones bump? How that one actor is in it? Fuck an actual game of thrones movie wouldn’t get a bump after that last season

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Pretty easy to see Thor: Love and Thunder and GOTG Vol 3 hit $1 Billion though yeah probably not $500M DOM. Spidey 3 is guaranteed for $1 Billion too. 

And Black Widow will make 2x Solo did WW. 

36 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Star wars F my butt. Better than Phantom of the menace by far. People are way too irrational when it comes to this. Could have been better, could have been waaaaaaaay worse.

Or maybe people have different tastes than you. For me this was the worst SW film by far so it really couldn't have been much worse. I'm glad others are liking it but very little about it worked for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Or maybe people have different tastes than you. For me this was the worst SW film by far so it really couldn't have been much worse. I'm glad others are liking it but very little about it worked for me.

Fair enough. Seems nuts to me, Phantom Menace was much worse and I liked that too. It was ok. F is reserved for you've got served. I can't understand anyone who ever rates it on that scale, ever.

Edited by cdsacken

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

When did Regal come out with an unlimited pass? Unless it’s been around and this particular location recently implemented it? 

A few months ago. It’s very new. I remember reading about it finally coming out in like August or September. But it doesn’t include premium formats, so I still like AMC A-list better.

• Thanks 1