Eric the Minion

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

I’d argue Black Panther made more of cultural impact domestically than Captain Marvel did, I mean it could be from what I’ve seen from my community and peers. During my senior year in 2018, we had a Black Panther theme for our Black History Month program. Wakanda is still being used heavily in pop culture whereas while CM had moments, it didn’t hit the zeitgeist like Panther did. So domestically I expect Panther 2 to have a clear and obvious edge.

OS, Captain Marvel does better mainly cause of the sci-fi flair and I’d still argue that black driven films don’t do as well OS. WW should be close but I give Panther 2 the edge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I'm a teenager and have teen sisters. Also, nobody talks about Chadwick. Everyone was talking about MBJ and Shuri but nowhere near how much people talk about Brie. And yes, CM audience wa smostly men while Aquaman attracted lots of ladies wonder why. :lol:

You realize Shuri will also be in BP2 right?  I am also a teenager and BP in general crushes CM, maybe not Chadwick specifically, but the movie as a whole was way more popular than CM among people that I knew. BP2 will destroy CM2 domestically so CM2 will have a lot of ground to make up OS.

China may not have liked the first BP, but they didn't like Spider-Man Homecoming either and yet FFH became the highest grossing solo SH movie there. If we really get Namor/Wakanda vs Atlantis I could see a huge increase. And yeah BP didn't have a great DOM/OS ratio but it was tied with CM in OS-C so it's not like it did badly OS. I think you are a bit too certain about BP's supposed "OS problem".

• Like 5

November...when?  It's hard to even keep track anymore, and until any "regular" production resumes...if ever, all future release dates are subject to change.  I get Larson's "pleading" face... I'm reading into the situation, but I'm betting she has conflicted feelings about Marvel not really capitalizing on the momentum of their first female solo film.  The movie is only a year and a half old in terms of theaters...but it feels like it will age badly as one of Marvel's weaker films, in my opinion.  Yet it out-grossed Wonder Woman, despite fanboy pushback...but she was barely in Endgame... and won't be seen again on screen for at least two years, probably three or more, due to COVID (which will make those two or three years feel like eight).

Film twitter is being annoying as always but I think this is a good choice. Horror directors have made my favourite superhero movies so I'm actually interested in this now. Wonder if this will be another Air Force ad though.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Film twitter is being annoying as always but I think this is a good choice. Horror directors have made my favourite superhero movies so I'm actually interested in this now. Wonder if this will be another Air Force ad though.

Do you think Air force funded Captain Marvel? 

There were too many ads that time. They even flew by the premiere. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1