Eric Quinn

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Unless something drastic  happens . Not confident thread will get to 100 pages.

We saw disastrous numbers coming from  a mile away after the presales.

With flash everything was in flux until like the final week when we started getting vibes and it just kept getting worse .

Marvels is already rock bottom at this point and sub 300m looks very likely , flash numbers in sight.

Make no mistake . The weekend thread will be wild but don't think it will attract  TLM/flash weekend thread energy IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Lol, why is the weekend thread locked? Have I missed some multiverse box office forum where comments on this movie have been massive flame wars rather than this one’s calm acknowledgement of an incoming flop? 

It's frankly, uncommon that a big tentpole movie's weekend thread would be locked for this long.  Presale numbers are out.  I'm guess the moderators are afraid of what the thread is going to look like but all they have to do is thread ban people who get out of hand.  Noting how something is flopping isn't "flaming".  

I have to give credit to the trackers once again.  They were on the $6-7M number for previews weeks ago.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's frankly, uncommon that a big tentpole movie's weekend thread would be locked for this long.  Presale numbers are out.  I'm guess the moderators are afraid of what the thread is going to look like but all they have to do is thread ban people who get out of hand.  Noting how something is flopping isn't "flaming".  

I have to give credit to the trackers once again.  They were on the $6-7M number for previews weeks ago.  

That's not yet Disney's number, it's just Charlie's, although there probably won't be too much change to it...

52 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Flash weekend thread was a real one

The reason for this stuff is because some over hype as well. I don’t think anyone expect The Marvels to be a mega hit, and all signs were a bomb since tracking began.

DP3 will do well but I keep seeing people online setting it up for a loss with ridiculous expectations.

31 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

DP3 will do well but I keep seeing people online setting it up for a loss with ridiculous expectations.

I don't think expectations are that nuts given how big hits the first two were. It has a lot in its favor, especially since now the schedule is basically clear for it. It has no real competition till what, Aliens three weeks later?

Edited by SpiderByte

13 hours ago, Hypercortical said:

Well I think Ms. Marvel absolutrly operates from a female gaze. And i'll be surprised if The Marvels doesn't feel that way with the Female Director, 3/4 female writers, and Female executive producer. 

I think the first 2 episodes definitely do yes, and are really good. Then it gets lost IMO in the trip to Pakistan shmozz. 

Hopefully the Marvels does and looking forward to seeing it later today. But even if it does that there's still the embraced by other audiences, hitting a zeitgeist and being very well received elements to go - which it seems not to - to get itself to the success territory that Spider-Man can get just by showing up.

And while female production might help drive something towards female gaze, or at least perspective, it's far from guaranteed depending on what's going on a studio level. Black Widow and She Hulk had a lot of those elements, but they were both fighting against them a lot of the way.

Having watched Black Adam and now the Marvels (Shazam 1/2 don't count because they're obviously lower budget), I feel like I underrated Man of Steel over a decade ago. I didn't like the visual choices at the time but the film really found a way to make "Superman"-ing vital and kinetic while more recent films have a kid moving a CGI action figure up and down. 

First act of the film also continues "Heroes saving the world from CGI "natural" disasters being associated with flops post-Reeves' superman films. Not sure that means anything but it's a trend I've felt since Superman: Returns. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Having watched Black Adam and now the Marvels (Shazam 1/2 don't count because they're obviously lower budget), I feel like I underrated Man of Steel over a decade ago. I didn't like the visual choices at the time but the film really found a way to make "Superman"-ing vital and kinetic while more recent films have a kid moving a CGI action figure up and down. 

I wasn't watching movies regularly at the time and missed the early DCEU days, but when I eventually watched Man of Steel in about 2018 I was surprised to learn how it had been perceived.

It's hard to do a Superman movie due to the inherent challenge of generating stakes and an engaging characterisation for a cultural icon - just as Disney rarely puts Mickey Mouse in high profile narrative stories; and I don't love Superman anyway, nor Snyder. But it struck me as being a pretty good effort and maybe the second best Superman film. 

And also I'd just second that this weekend doesn't seem the same as The Flash because what was unique to the Flash was the MASSIVE hard sell that was being given to the movie by industry figures who were unironically trying to hit a "One of the Greatest Superhero Movies" narrative. Whereas this was poorly treated by Disney from the off, is trying to be a bit of fun nothing more, and has been expected to perform poorly for ages - more comparable to Shazam 2 than the Flash.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, eddyxx said:

I think we're headed back to what super hero movies did during the 2000's. When a 50m ow was a success and 90m was bonkers. We might get a few more real huge openings: deadpool3, secret wars if a certain 2 actors return for it , joker 2 might even be a dark horse and maybe the first x-men reboot if they pull it off but the days of super hero movies dominating are behind us.

3 hours ago, thunderstorm said:

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Well, at least, it wasn't under 40M.

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Didnt Man Of Steel change Comic Book movies forever?

It seems after Man Of Steel a Comic Book Hero Cant cause massive amount of casulaties or always try to minimize them?

Yeah I legit groaned in the Sokovia Accords scene where they tried to justify regulate superheroes when a massive alien invasion and a genocidal robot lifted a small country to the sky did less casualties than a plane crash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1