TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Could Sony become the #1 Studio Domestic in 2020?

Everything is favouring them right now. 

Too early to tell. I think you're just basing that on the success of BBFL. On the other hand, Disney doesn't have a movie yet that was already released this year. We will see Disney's potential beginning March 6  when Pixar's Onward opens.

• Disbelief 1

11 hours ago, Jamiem said:

In some ways it is dying in some markets as far as theatrical, for instance domestic market has seen attendance decrease but ticket prices and population increases have somewhat offset that. Overall the growth of markets in mainly Asia has lead to an overall increase in box office though, there is actually an interesting article I read on this earlier today: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-07/hollywood-box-office-numbers-surge-even-as-americans-stay-home

But yeah if you remove the theatrical aspect and look purely at the film sector as a whole it is growing which is the opposite of a dying industry. 

If the drop of ticket and viewer numbers indicates film industry is dying, can we also say music and TV industries are dying too?

Edited by xiazhi

29 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Good news is Birds of Prey is looking at 30% increase going by how ticket sales at MTC are. Iet us see where things stand this evening. That said even a better than norm previews to OW or OW to dom multi will not change the narrative. Its overall BO is well below expectations and I was not that optimistic(60/150 kind of run). 

That said the BOP run has no bearing on Wondy 2. That has the hype necessary for a big OW(to me favorite to have the biggest OW for the year). Batman next year will be Huge as well and as well Aquaman 2. Only question is Suicide Squad 2. We have to wait and watch how the hype is close to release. 

Seems to me like +30% Sat leads to a very normal previews:OW.

Shazam 2 is also coming out before AQM2, but I agree with the main point that, for better and worse, DC films mostly rise and fall on their individual qualities rather than overall brand strength.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

If the drop of ticket and viewer numbers indicates film industry is dying, can we also say music and TV industries are dying too?

Read my last sentence. 

Here ill I’ll copy paste it for you even “But yeah if you remove the theatrical aspect and look purely at the film sector as a whole it is growing which is the opposite of a dying industry.” 

Film, TV, Music are all just changing where they get their revenue streams rather than dying, so just like I said the theatrical experience is slowing in certain regions and will eventually go the way of music where the CD is replaced by digital/streaming. That being said with the box office being boosted by growing markets across Asia I don’t see that happening any time soon. The reason this is a down year is due to weaker product and unfortunate events happening in China. 

Edited by Jamiem

Something extra added to the Deadline article...it does seem that unlike practically every other super, the flyover states did abandon this one...PS - and the large PLF/Imax ratio must be both the AMC subscribers and the Atom deal...

"Last night, Birds of Prey over-indexed in the West and Southwest, as expected. Unfortunately, I’m told by distribution sources that these female-charged event pics are challenged in the divisive, conservative-leaning flyover stats where Birds of Prey under-indexed. Imax and PLF delivered 34% of the gross to date."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Something extra added to the Deadline article...it does seem that unlike practically every other super, the flyover states did abandon this one...PS - and the large PLF/Imax ratio must be both the AMC subscribers and the Atom deal...

"Last night, Birds of Prey over-indexed in the West and Southwest, as expected. Unfortunately, I’m told by distribution sources that these female-charged event pics are challenged in the divisive, conservative-leaning flyover stats where Birds of Prey under-indexed. Imax and PLF delivered 34% of the gross to date."

So it overindexed in the West...that's interesting because MTC2 has a very strong presence there and it really underperformed at that chain.

5 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Does that mean an abyssal 3% of the audience were above 35 ? for an R-rated movie ?

Could be simply that, it was really young but R-rated. Well it could have still worked I guess the first deadpool had an immense 18 to 24 audience and a good 10% under 18.

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

Invisible Man could perform like Us then in a few more weeks then if this is how February is turning out.

Harley Quinn id check out but maybe not for $20, dvd or blu $13-$15 or wait till eBay, they have new releases $10 or so. Stinks it will probably miss $100 million, but remember WB has done it before with Rampage or Edge Of Tomorrow or even Pacific Rim! 

Sonic I think will probably perform like maybe Ninja Turtles 2014, but I have a feeling $45-$49 million 3-day will probably be it’s best bet! 

Fantasy Island with the lack of horror films, it’s appeal should bring it to $13-$15 million 3-day next weekend. Yeah it’s a PG-13 horror film but it’s concept could bring in an audience.

March is gonna rely on three titles sadly. Onward should do $60-$70 million opening weekend. Then Quiet Place 2 will probably debut on-par with it’s predecessor, similar to what The Conjuring 2 did with The Conjuring 1.

Mulan is the biggest gamble next month, it could do similar to Cinderella or Oz or it could explode like Beauty & The Beast. But it could also perform like Dumbo. But Disney never fails at the box office, hell their lowest earning major title made $113 million! 

for the projection of 2nd quarter I”ll wait till Mulan comes out. 

1 hour ago, xiazhi said:

Of course TV is dying if you mean the networks. Younger audiences are abandoning live tv viewing in droves.

Do you think WB might be a little worried about Gunn’s Suicide Squad seeing as how BoP was kind of like its spinoff sequel (like the Hobbs & Shaw of the Fast Furious franchise)?

Think we will see WB advertise Suicide Squad as “from the director that brought you Guardians of the Galaxy”?

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Seems to me like +30% Sat leads to a very normal previews:OW.

Shazam 2 is also coming out before AQM2, but I agree with the main point that, for better and worse, DC films mostly rise and fall on their individual qualities rather than overall brand strength.

I forgot about Shazam 2. Not sure how that will do. Shazam was buried in the Endgame mania. That is another movie we have to judge close to release. One way to amp it up is to get Rock in as Black Adam plus some cross over appearance of another SH. 

29 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Its not even a flop on the scale of Dolittle or Cats, two films that are still in cinemas.

I mean dont get me wrong, this is looking like a horrible result,  but its not even expensive enough to be an all time contender never mind the fact its making way more money than a Mortal engines, Robin Hood, Great Wall or a Mars Needs Moms.

Honestly I just wanted to quote Dr. Strange LOL:jeb!:

27 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

Do you think WB might be a little worried about Gunn’s Suicide Squad seeing as how BoP was kind of like its spinoff sequel (like the Hobbs & Shaw of the Fast Furious franchise)?

Think we will see WB advertise Suicide Squad as “from the director that brought you Guardians of the Galaxy”?

it needs to be like "from the director that brought you 2 movies that we're not legally allowed to name (but they both starred a tree and raccoon)"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

So we’re gonna have 4 big CBMs this year:

BW

WW84

Venom 2

Eternals  

and 4 small ones:

BoP

Bloodshot

New Mutants

Morbius   

Did I miss any? Was pretty amused to find 8 in what I’d been thinking of as a CBM light year.

you forgot one on September 18