Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

9 minutes ago, a2k said:

Bad Boys for Cats of Prey : Rise of the Next Hedgehog II

That’s not even a real movie,

It’s

1917 Little Bad Boys for Parasite Cats of Prey in Disguise : Rise of the Next Fantasy Knives Hedgehog II 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I responded to a post on Twitter about BoPs weekend and how the combination of VD and Presidents’ Day helped to keep it from dropping harder than it would have. The guys response to me was.....

Good bye

Then another guy told me that I just don’t “get it” when it comes to box office, and that it’s -48% drop is really good because its a holiday and people are really busy traveling and stuff. 

LOL!!!

Denial. Not just a river in Egypt 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

That’s your fault for unrealistic expectations if you think that when 5 of the 11 Phase 3 haven’t done over $900M, and an additional 3 of the 11 were basically Avengers films.

Tell me about last 2 years because MCU changed post MCU.

Financially speaking, a MCU film budgeted at $200mn need $280mn in theatrical to be a successful film i.e. $700mn Worldwide Gross Approx. 

You can't go below 700, that's like must. Films aren't made just for break-even. A billion dollar is needed from 200mn production budget film for MCU standards. 

That said Ant-Man and the Wasp barely broke-even, what regard we have for it in MCU.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The Batman, Jurassic 3 and Indy 5 in a close timeframe. Of course 4 $350M+ DOM aiming films packed together all aiming for the same 1 month timeframe only equals seuccess.

Just because it hasn’t happen yet, doesn’t mean it won’t happen. 

If one of those 4 films doesn't hit $350m my bet is it isn't going to be SM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I swear Endgame is causing expectations to inflate. I literally remember someone saying if a MCU film doesn’t do $1B, it’s an underperformer.

Well, below 1B is a bit of a disappointing result for an MCU movie at this point. Don’t see what’s so inflated about that.

26 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I swear Endgame is causing expectations to inflate. I literally remember someone saying if a MCU film doesn’t do $1B, it’s an underperformer.

If the sequel to a 1.1 billion dollar film that was well received and had a hyped cliffhanger decreases, then it is an underperformer.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If one of those 4 films doesn't hit $350m my bet is it isn't going to be SM

Agreed easily, Indy 5 seems like an easy target to miss it then JW3. I’m expecting around $375M-$420M (I thought FFH did 400M+, my bad I thought it did more) but I’m thinking SM3 likely stays flat due to direct competition for its main demographics.

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Financially speaking, a MCU film budgeted at $200mn need $280mn in theatrical to be a successful film i.e. $700mn Worldwide Gross Approx. 

You can't go below 700, that's like must. Films aren't made just for break-even. A billion dollar is needed from 200mn production budget film for MCU standards. 

That said Ant-Man and the Wasp barely broke-even, what regard we have for it in MCU.

Okay tell that to me for Ant Man 3, and Blade. Both of which imho likely will be around 800m WW. Those two which likely will have smaller budgets are failures then.

Look I think all of Phase 4 films will reach $1B, the only real question mark is Black Widow cause China and maybe Strange 2 cause I’m not sure how high it’ll jump. But I don’t think everything MCU needs to be $1B in order to be a success. Yes, the past two years has been a record high for the MCU (5 out of 6 films all doing 1B+ WW is damn impressive to say that least) and they’ll likely continue that high for the next few years, but not everything is a lock.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The Batman, Jurassic 3 and Indy 5 in a close timeframe. Of course 4 $350M+ DOM aiming films packed together all aiming for the same 1 month timeframe only equals seuccess.

Just because it hasn’t happen yet, doesn’t mean it won’t happen. 

Is Indiana Jones 5 happening for real? There's been no actual development on it at all as far as I know.

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Okay tell that to me for Ant Man 3, and Blade. Both of which imho likely will be around 800m WW

Yeah these are smaller MCU films, so that's understandable. My thesis is basically on big MCU films.

That said Ant Man 3 is doing much more.

• Like 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

A $160m budgeted film doing $622m is not barely breaking even.  If it was every studio except Disney would be out of business

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is Indiana Jones 5 happening for real? There's been no actual development on it at all as far as I know.

Ford just did an interview where he says that he’s going to start filming Indy5 in a couple of months; so we’ll see. 

51 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am pretty sure you were in "FFH below HC because its Spidey film".

I guarantee a $190mn OW & $450mn total this early.

That’s a crazy guarantee imo

Im not saying an increase can’t happen but talking with certainty about specifics for something without a trailer and over a year out is just nonsense no matter what film it is

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A $160m budgeted film doing $622m is not barely breaking even.

Spoiler

USA Share: $119mn

China Share: $26mn

ROW: $114mn

Total WW: $260mn

Home Video Profit: $60mn

TV: ~$115mn

Total Revenue: $435mn

Budget: $162mn

Release Cost: $150mn

Participations: ~$50mn

Others: $50mn

Total Expenses: $412mn

That's just $23mn profit before taxes. Ant-Man and The Wasp released 2 months later in China, till then it hadn't recovered its budget. In fact even after that, it needed Home Video revenue to do so.

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If it was every studio except Disney would be out of business

Yes.

21 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah these are smaller MCU films, so that's understandable. My thesis is basically on big MCU films.

That said Ant Man 3 is doing much more.

Even for bigger MCU films like Strange 2, 900M WW is still fucking excellent, how many sequels increase nowadays? As long as you’re not Avengers or something that over performed like crazy like Panther/Marvel, a sub 1B WW total isn’t the end of the world or a disappointment.

Hell, I have may have SM3 falling at 385M/1.1B WW which is essentially flat and it’s still a extraordinary success.

• Like 2

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:
  Hide contents

USA Share: $119mn

China Share: $26mn

ROW: $114mn

Total WW: $260mn

Home Video Profit: $60mn

TV: ~$115mn

Total Revenue: $435mn

Budget: $162mn

Release Cost: $150mn

Participations: ~$50mn

Others: $50mn

Total Expenses: $412mn

That's just $23mn profit before taxes.

Yes.

Not sure where you get $60m in WW Home Video Profit but that's highly unlikely.  Also "Others" at $50m?  That's a pretty big catchall number especially for Marvel.