stealthyfrog

Borderlands | Lionsgate | Eli Roth to direct | Cate Blanchett is Lilith

Video game translations continue to thrive in the TV format. Fallout and Last of Us setting quite a few records while being critically acclaimed.

Live action films apparently still have some ground to cover.

Edited by ThePhasmid

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Reactions calling a movie like this lifeless are always a red flag. If you are going to be a disaster, at least be an interesting one.

Intrigued by the reaction saying Cate carried it. Oh well, let's see how bad the full reviews will be.

Borderlands will continue the tradition of game turned to films sucking and bombing I guess.

Sonic films were the exception. Mario was a huge hit, but reception was mixed. Detective Pikachu has been completely forgotten.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

This film will continue the tradition of game turned to films sucking and bombing I guess.

Sonic films were the exception. Mario was a huge hit, but reception was mixed. Detective Pikachu has been completely forgotten.

Hopefully , family video games movies are success and huge hits in series with fallout and The Last of Us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

In France, audience score are very bad , only 2,4/5, equivalent of C cinemascore , i think.

I found a ~2021 allocine data dump on a random website a few years ago and while it has some errors, it's a good starting point. Films +/- 0.1 audience score from that include Fast 9, Mortal Kombat, Tom & Jerry, gods of egypt, 2016 Suicide Squad, the point break remake, the men in black reboot, Juipiter ascending, etc. you get the picture. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Borderlands will continue the tradition of game turned to films sucking and bombing I guess.

Because they are picking the wrong games.

Halo was always the big boy to adapt.

3 hours ago, Belakor said:

This is clearly another video game, corpo-headed movie in which everyone involved didn't knew / understands  the franchise.

It looks exactly like the game its based off. 

It's 2024. Video Games that are considered full out masterpieces can still be littered with the most mundane bog-standard dialogue, with stories that most non-gamers would consider to be nonsense.

Great game adaptations end up having to go above and beyond what's offered in the game. Look at Fallout, TLOU, and Arcane (based off a game I don't believe has a story mode).

19 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Video game translations continue to thrive in the TV format. Fallout and Last of Us setting quite a few records while being critically acclaimed.

Live action films apparently still have some ground to cover.

Yeah. Live action VG movies aren't there yet. Animated ones are doing fine though.