sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Disney is going for $1950-2050mn this year, which is mighty impressive considering this is their off year, with just 9 films, while only one studio has hit $2Bn, that too barely, since Universal in 2015 when they had JW, Minions and F7 and before that only WB in 2009 has done that.

Sony is currently at $475mn but don't have anything big following from here, and at max I see them doing $1.3Bn 

charlie if you dont mind of course could you do a break down ? of your range ?

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't hate Sony but I will be pleasantly surprised if they end up 70% of Disney. Also, technically there's Fox which is basically Disney entirely now and quite possibly Fox won't be that far from Sony by end of year.

Sony’s slate for the rest of the year doesn’t look that strong TBH especially if you strip out the 2019 holdovers like Jumanji and Little Women. 

On the specialty side, Emma looks to be a sleeper hit for Focus. 

9 hours ago, stealthyfrog said:

Pixar should start being more efficient with their resources. Sony Animation can do great things with under $100M production budget. Illumination, well, they do enough to still make a shit ton of money I guess XD

It would require Pixar to produce their films anywhere but California. Realistically they could cut to WDAS levels if they wanted it but anything lower would require severe cost cutting which would prove detrimental

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It would require Pixar to produce their films anywhere but California. Realistically they could cut to WDAS levels if they wanted it but anything lower would require severe cost cutting which would prove detrimental

eh actually walt disney animation studios have budgets of 150-160 still

You can’t detach Onward bombing from Coronavirus likely (especially given there haven’t been other major releases around it yet as benchmarks), especially WW but really DOM too.

Maybe there wasn’t hype for it (which seems reasonable), but how effective could marketing be among the pandemic hysteria?

It’s reasonable to think it wouldn’t have been a typically sized Pixar success regardless but it’s ambiguous as of now just how much Coronavirus effected it.  For example, in the DFW area you have things like local restaurants seeing group cancellations and sales declines despite the virus not even being present here yet.

Or think like in major markets like in Seattle, people probably aren’t caring about going to see a movie right now.

There’s all sorts of apparent ripple effects that you can’t detach from the virus.

• Like 2

The virus make an impact, to me is obvious. More scared people will not get this exposure right now, or expose their family (which is the biggest target for Onward).

I don’t think it will be much higher Without The virus, but probably more close to $ 50M.

Now let’s see the legs, an original animation should do at least 3.5x multiplier or more.

Curious to see AQP2 and Mulan performances

• Haha 1

I must be the only one who thought that annoying Onward ads looked absolutely rancid and that the movie wouldn't have done much better without corona. It's a Pixar dud. I get that Pixarbros won't admit this movie was unnecessary but yeah I wouldn't know that shit was Pixar if they didn't mention it in ads. It looks to me like an average disposable Non-Pixar crap that usually gets bad reviews.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I must be the only one who thought that annoying Onward ads looked absolutely rancid and that the movie wouldn't have done much better without corona. It's a Pixar dud. I get that Pixarbros won't admit this movie was unnecessary but yeah I wouldn't know that shit was Pixar if they didn't mention it in ads. It looks to me like an average disposable Non-Pixar crap that usually gets bad reviews.

1) a classic case to say that something is reall bad  without having see it , 2) there is not one movie ever, thats necessary none

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

1) a classic case to say that something is reall bad  without having see it , 2) there is not one movie ever, thats necessary none

It's Valonqar, don't bother.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It’s not a matter of opinions and what you think.

The Coronavirus hysteria is obviously effecting a wide ranging amount of markets, especially in the entertainment and service industries.  And this will only progress as cases grow.  

I’m not trying to defend the movie or anything, I don’t care about it.  But the obvious should be re-instated.  Of course the virus is going to effect the amount of people who want to go sit in a congested space for 2 hours (especially among family demos).  Of course if people are worried if they’ll be able to have a job for the next few months they’ll skip on the movies.  Of course if cities and areas are suggesting procedures to minimize large group events and festivals/conferences are being cancelled, people will skip on the movies.

These are all emerging factors as well, so expect the effects on the BO and all markets to get worse before they get better.