charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

The Half of It is such a sincere and tender film. First movie of the year where I wished I could watch the movie even longer (just because I was so in love with the world and the characters). The characters can get kind of pretentious at times but Wu does such a great job at making us empathise with the characters that it doesn't come of as cheesy but actually endearing. I really hope more people watch it. It's my favourite film of the year now.

Edit: Reading some reddit reviews of the film, and holy shit, these guys really don't know that there are many teenagers who are still trying to discover their sexuality or hide it from everyone around them.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

So, I watched Missing Link with the kids yesterday for our M&M Monday...and what a disappointment.  I can see why it made the top 5 money losers last year.  So not as good a story as Laika can do.  I mean, one of my teens literally said it needed to go through another screenwriter to take a hack at it, b/c the plot was just repetitive and not good.

I mean, the animation was beautiful, the voice work was okay...but the story and the script...ugh...worse, the movie had nothing to do with the trailer, so you're walking into the movie with the wrong expectations...and it doesn't mean any kind of expectation...

Thankfully, it was short, but felt 30 minutes longer than it was...how it could be short and repetitive, well...I'll let you watch...or don't, unless you're a Laika completionist...

Kid grades were B to C-...and those are about right.  I'd give it a C+ for its attempt and animation, but I'm probably being generous.

In tv news, I'm sucked into Upload (through episode 7 now on Amazon Prime)...what a nice dark mystery rom com...and I love the Amell family (thank you, Arrow), so I probably ovegrade:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I watched Missing Link with the kids yesterday for our M&M Monday...and what a disappointment.  I can see why it made the top 5 money losers last year.  So not as good a story as Laika can do.  I mean, one of my teens literally said it needed to go through another screenwriter to take a hack at it, b/c the plot was just repetitive and not good.

I mean, the animation was beautiful, the voice work was okay...but the story and the script...ugh...worse, the movie had nothing to do with the trailer, so you're walking into the movie with the wrong expectations...and it doesn't mean any kind of expectation...

Thankfully, it was short, but felt 30 minutes longer than it was...how it could be short and repetitive, well...I'll let you watch...or don't, unless you're a Laika completionist...

Kid grades were B to C-...and those are about right.  I'd give it a C+ for its attempt and animation, but I'm probably being generous.

In tv news, I'm sucked into Upload (through episode 7 now on Amazon Prime)...what a nice dark mystery rom com...and I love the Amell family (thank you, Arrow), so I probably ovegrade:)...

The only reason Missing Link won that Golden Globe last year was because there were too many Disney films in the catergory and the vote was split. Anyone that says otherwise has not seen Missing Link. Easily one of the most boring animated films I've ever seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

The only reason Missing Link won that Golden Globe last year was because there were too many Disney films in the catergory and the vote was split. Anyone that says otherwise has not seen Missing Link. Easily one of the most boring animated films I've ever seen.

it sucks and according to film critics i follow on twitter they were sent like a shit ton of missing link swag around the awards season  (like way more than what's standard) and we all know how easily swayed the golden globes are by shit like that. i'd bet they didn't actually watch any of the cartoons.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it sucks and according to film critics i follow on twitter they were sent like a shit ton of missing link swag around the awards season  (like way more than what's standard) and we all know how easily swayed the golden globes are by shit like that. i'd bet they didn't actually watch any of the cartoons.

Would still love explanation how the nomination for the "live-action" Lion King happened though. Disney didn't even campaign for it in that category lmao.

Just now, filmlover said:

Would still love explanation how the nomination for the "live-action" Lion King happened though. Disney didn't even campaign for it in that category lmao.

yeah, it definitely shouldn't have been nominated there. because it's bad. not because it's not a cartoon, which it totally is. the only reason other awards didn't consider it a cartoon is because they have to be submitted specifically into that category which disney didn't do.

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah, it definitely shouldn't have been nominated there. because it's bad. not because it's not a cartoon, which it totally is. the only reason other awards didn't consider it a cartoon is because they have to be submitted specifically into that category which disney didn't do.

Oftentimes it feels like the Globes just nominate people that they want at the ceremony regardless of whether they campaigned or not. Did the studio behind Where'd You Go Bernadette even push for her since it got mediocre reviews and was forgotten about a week after it opened or did they just nominate Blanchett just because? That's why they'll always be the #2 awards show behind the Oscars (which mainly invites movie stars) since the reason everyone watches is to see all these people famous for either movies or TV (or both) in one room.

Edited by filmlover

Went through all of the Disney+ show Prop Culture. It's about some dude talking about props from Disney movies and talking to people who worked on them. I think I've only seen like half of the movies shown, but it's pretty fun stuff if you're into shows and docs about making movies. Cute to see the old cast and crew of these movies say stuff like "hello old friend" to their costumes or props.

I'll be done with school forever on Friday, so I'm hoping to finally get around to watching more stuff.

• Like 3

The lion king had the some of the Best animation of 2019 and as someone who watched the remake before the original, the story was pretty great as well. Although when I finally watched the original afterwards I liked the facial expressions more in that Which made it kind of more emotional. But it doesn’t take away from the new one.

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

Went through all of the Disney+ show Prop Culture. It's about some dude talking about props from Disney movies and talking to people who worked on them. I think I've only seen like half of the movies shown, but it's pretty fun stuff if you're into shows and docs about making movies. Cute to see the old cast and crew of these movies say stuff like "hello old friend" to their costumes or props.

Definitely checking that out soon. One of my favorite things to do at Disney World is to go through Walt Disney Presents (formerly One Man's Dream) and see the props or animated concept art on display in person when they have a new movie about to release (last time it was Coco).

Currently about to start the new season of Westworld now that it's over and also making my way through The Sinner (currently on the Carrie Coon season). Gonna start the new season of Dead to Me this weekend also.

2 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

I'll be done with school forever on Friday, so I'm hoping to finally get around to watching more stuff.

This is our "morning" May learning video for the weekdays that aren't movie Monday:).

We had been doing an online drawing video series for April, but I promised a new fun event (before we get into Math and duller learning), and this was the pick.  We watched the Muppets episode this morning, and it was nice (I missed part of it to put away a produce box, but caught some of the cuteness)...

Does anyone know when the Netflix resolution goes back up? 

Theyve cut their 4K resolution by 50%. Disney Plus cut 4K completly (it's 1440p), but it still looks miles better than Netflix.

4 hours ago, AJG said:

Does anyone know when the Netflix resolution goes back up? 

Theyve cut their 4K resolution by 50%. Disney Plus cut 4K completly (it's 1440p), but it still looks miles better than Netflix.

I do not think they touched resolution (or that resolution is important considering the low bitrate it would have been better to cut their resolution), they just cut bitrates:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/netflix/151513-netflix-to-cut-streaming-quality-in-europe-for-30-days-amid-covid-19-outbreak

It is really stupid to continue to stream 4K I would imagine and they would have been better to go to 1080p, but could be to avoid legal issue with people that signed for UHD content and continue to charge them (while Disney does not have a 4K surcharge).

Instead, Netflix will cleverly lower the transmission bitrate that might result in a slight drop in picture quality: "This is a technical change that shouldn't affect the quality of the streaming

Lol, there 2160p stream is only 15Mbps, compression and chips power made a long way but soundtrack alone on a bluray could get bigger than that back in the days (overall tended to be over 30mbs with 40 has the usual max), 4K bluray are over 100 mbits.

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I do not think they touched resolution (or that resolution is important considering the low bitrate it would have been better to cut their resolution), they just cut bitrates:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/netflix/151513-netflix-to-cut-streaming-quality-in-europe-for-30-days-amid-covid-19-outbreak

It is really stupid to continue to stream 4K I would imagine and they would have been better to go to 1080p, but could be to avoid legal issue with people that signed for UHD content and continue to charge them (while Disney does not have a 4K surcharge).

Instead, Netflix will cleverly lower the transmission bitrate that might result in a slight drop in picture quality: "This is a technical change that shouldn't affect the quality of the streaming

Lol, there 2160p stream is only 15Mbps, compression and chips power made a long way but soundtrack alone on a bluray could get bigger than that back in the days (overall tended to be over 30mbs with 40 has the usual max), 4K bluray are over 100 mbits.

Netflix is currently streaming 4K at 7.25Mbps. Some 1080p stuff is 0.80Mbps. It's madness. 

On a 65 inch TV the HDR makes the 4k reduction really noticable.

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

Netflix is currently streaming 4K at 7.25Mbps. Some 1080p stuff is 0.80Mbps. It's madness. 

In canada I do not know how low it got but it is not pretty here (I was wondering if the platform was some artistic choice or netflix compression)

Those bitrate are impressive, back in the days 0.8 Mbps was about your average 700MB movie (of just under 2 hours) rip quality.

On a 65 inch TV the HDR makes the 4k reduction really noticable.

That hard to tell if it is from the 4K or from the fact Netflix use an higher bitrate when 4K is on (better pixel not just more of them)

Edited by Barnack

90 seconds into Upload on Amazon. The first scene neatly explains the coronavirus outbreak in New York. 

Edit:It’s interesting enough but not exactly very funny. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

tapped out of Valerian after about 40 minutes. Jesus Christ. couldn't do it.

Movie sucks. Also I spent way too long trying to figure out if Valerian was in a relationship with his partner or if I was watching workplace sexual harrasment. That romance was toilet. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Movie sucks. Also I spent way too long trying to figure out if Valerian was in a relationship with his partner or if I was watching workplace sexual harrasment. That romance was toilet. 

The sexual tension was off the scale.