Ryan Reynolds

Don't Worry Darling | Sep 23 2022 | We’re Just Here For The Mess

On 9/2/2022 at 11:34 AM, filmlover said:

Is this supposed to be controversial? Most of JP's shtick is normal, basic stuff presented in extreme word salad version trying to sound intellectual. 

1 hour ago, Eric the Shark said:

That's going to make the actual press conference extremely awkward, so well played, Florence... 

At Venice premieres, the leads of the movie normally sit right next to each other and at the end, bask in the standing ovation, surrounded by the attendees. There usually end up being several cell phone videos of the stars inside the theater, as well as official footage. So, I guess it'll be Harry and Olivia, while Florence dips as soon as the lights go down? #Mess, can't wait for the oral histories/making of documentaries that come out about DWD someday.

Apparently, some texts between Shia and Florence have leaked, and they don't seem to show any bad vibes or combative energy between them. The original hosting source seems to be Tumblr but Florence sent Shia a photo of herself holding  her dog. Supposedly, Shia's friends leaked them. Anyway, now the Olivia supporters are using this against Florence and saying she's allowed a (false) victim narrative to build around her, and they're mad. Another wrinkle to the saga...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Apparently, some texts between Shia and Florence have leaked, and they don't seem to show any bad vibes or combative energy between them. The original hosting source seems to be Tumblr but Florence sent Shia a photo of herself holding  her dog. Supposedly, Shia's friends leaked them. Anyway, now the Olivia supporters are using this against Florence and saying she's allowed a (false) victim narrative to build around her, and they're mad. Another wrinkle to the saga...

It's just so weird. The "controversy" around this movie is a throwback to the mid-90s to mid-00s movie controversies. The rise of the internet stopped these kind of interpersonal controversies to brew around movies due to the instant feedback loop.

This is like those People magazine or EW scandal columns from those days. A weird throwback.

Hopefully when the social reactions start coming in tomorrow afternoon the conversation will shift to the film's merits and away from all the BTS stuff. I can't imagine WB/NL would put it under the microscope like this if it didn't have the goods, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I never bought the idea that Florence Pugh was creeped out by LaBeouf. To be perfectly blunt, she does not seem like the kind of person who gives a crap about working with creepy men. 

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

It's just so weird. The "controversy" around this movie is a throwback to the mid-90s to mid-00s movie controversies. The rise of the internet stopped these kind of interpersonal controversies to brew around movies due to the instant feedback loop.

This is like those People magazine or EW scandal columns from those days. A weird throwback.

I guess WB has bigger concerns? Or they are barely paying Florence to do publicity, because even stars of dumped Oscar bait that comes out in February will make the press rounds on some level. They're actors, they fake enthusiasm during publicity runs the time.

I know a film festival press conference is much longer than a junket interview, and this one would've been analyzed to death. But as rough as the "Miss Flo" video must have been for Pugh, I think if she were taking part in the press conference, it would make Olivia sweat a bit. She has a narrative she's trying to sell about herself and DWD, but what if Florence were right there, poised to contradict her at every response? I don't mean Pugh screaming out, "Liar!" or anything like that, but one example is how Wilde keeps talking up the sex scenes as empowering, while Pugh disliked how much they were hyped up. How would Olivia react to potentially being contradicted to her face?

But I get it, if Pugh wants to avoid a scene that would inevitably be made out to be some sort of catfight/showdown between women. People will try their best to make drama out of the red carpet, even if they totally avoid each other.

I find it odd that the LaBuff/Puge thing is getting more attention that the fact that the director cheated on her husband by fucking/dating the lead star, who happens to be arguably the planets biggest pop singer. Frankly, that is a terrible look for Wilde, and to a lesser extent, Styles. 

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Seems like it's been a long ass time since we had a movie cause this much drama behind the camera lmao. Ryan Murphy already conjuring up Feud: Don't Worry Darling.

It's like Mr & Mrs Smith PR machine all over again except instead of A-listers, you have B (I'm being generous) and C-listers. 

33 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I find it odd that the LaBuff/Puge thing is getting more attention that the fact that the director cheated on her husband by fucking/dating the lead star, who happens to be arguably the planets biggest pop singer. Frankly, that is a terrible look for Wilde, and to a lesser extent, Styles. 

Why anyone should care about Wilde and Style fucking each other? This is as old as Hollywood, the only difference now is that the director involved is a woman.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

people like gossip , when Rupert Sanders was Kristen we saw the same amount of drama

I remember, Kristen suffered a lot of unnecessary hate 

Is kinda happening with Olivia now, while there are some things that should be criticized about her during DWD press, most of the social media noise is just stupid at this point 

Hopefully this will ends tomorrow, i think reviews will be very mixed and focused more on the drama than the quality of the movie, but at least everyone can finally move on.

BOOOORING!!!!

• A shocking moment as a question about the Shia LaBeouf controversy gets asked, and is immediately shot down by the conference moderator.

• Olivia Wilde on Florence Pugh’s absence from the press conference: “Florence is a force, we are so grateful that she is able to make it tonight despite being in production. As for all the endless tabloid gossip and noise out there, the internet feeds itself. I don’t feel I need to contribute to it.”

Edited by AJG