Eric is Quiet

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 hour ago, Knights of Ren said:

The All Audience score is higher than the Verified Audience score, thats pretty rare, no?

Yes. Of course it could be phrased equivalently as “the Verified score is lower than the All audience score.”

I loved it. Love that Batman as a detective took center stage.

Some people at the showing I attended bitched about it being boring;guess they were expecting non stop action, which is not what the film is about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Movie held up extremely well on second viewing.  Best comic book film in years no doubt, maybe a decade. 

Glad you enjoyed it so much. I’m seeing a lot of people say the same online. I’d say around 5 years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, commendable said:

Sounds like you kinda just want the joker 2.0

Not whatsoever, just [refer to be shown things and feel them rather then have someone tell me them directly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

I loved it. Love that Batman as a detective took center stage.

Some people at the showing I attended bitched about it being boring;guess they were expecting non stop action, which is not what the film is about.

To be fair, the second and third trailers did use a lot of footage from the last half hour to try to make it look like an action packed film, so it’s not entirely surprising that some people would go in with those expectations. I was relieved that the fantastic first trailer ended up being much closer to the tone and pace of the final film.

I loved this, the more I think about it, the more I liked it. The way Batman was introduced as a brutal force lurking in the shadows, utilising fear because he can’t be everywhere at once, was probably the strongest introduction to the character in film. Pattinson was excellent. 

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 3

A decent if not exactly spectacular opening. I'm looking forward to seeing the film and it sounds like Reeves achieved what he set out to do, but I maintain that the marketing was uncharacteristically bad for a Batman film. Apart from a nice moody teaser the trailers were weak sauce.

• ...wtf 2

9 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

How did you get "Joker 2.0" from a comment about wanting a more polished script?

Probably referring to 

Spoiler

the note about wanting to see more societal upheaval. That side of Joker was bigger but still felt somewhat underdeveloped too. We need to see and feel the city losing its mind in order to give have a sense that Batman is actually  helping when he restores order. 

Trying to cram The Riddler and his games disrupting society, Gotham's deeply routed corruption with Maroni and politicos, Bruce discovering thins about his parents, Selina getting revenge, Batman being Sherlock etc was just too much and leads to the long periods of exposition and slow pace while also feeling underdeveloped. They actually did a good job of balancing everything given the extremely loaded plate but it was just too much regardless.

Similar to TDKR, this movie may have been better divided into 2 parts.

Part 1:

Riddler role remains as is except heavier emphasis is placed on his "day judgement" end game

Penguin is more prominent, catching the Penguin feels like the films main goal 

Better establish that Bruce feels compelled to carry the decency of his family name

Better establish the terror Maroni drug cartel and the supposed impact of the drug bust

Better establish Bella Real as meaning business

Better establish Alfred's point that embracing anger isn't helping, its hurting

End with twist that Bruce Wayne is identified as Riddler's next victim as Batman realizes Riddler's plan has a point: the big drug operation never ended, Bruce's family is directly involved and Penguin isn't the rat, rather a red herring.

Part 2

Riddler's antics escalate and further breakdown society

Batman and Gordon feel lost

Falcone narrative takes over/Thomas Wayne background 

Impact of Bella Real's victory - maybe have Falcone plotting her murder as well, have Batman foil this?

Batman and Gordon catch the Riddler and think they have foiled his "judgement day" plan until they're revealed to be too late

Make the flood a bigger deal in general

End with reinforcing Batman's understanding of who he is and what he needs to be

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

"This God Damn City is Corrupted and Rotten to the Core.

It's Cannibalizing itself alive. And It might be completely and utterly Un-Salvageable.

BUT I have to TRY. I have to Light the Torch that Shepherds the People of Gotham out of the Dark and into the New Dawn."

Fabian Navarrete (@Chiller2116) / Twitter

And Who is his Enemy?   The Eternal Nihilist. 

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

A decent if not exactly spectacular opening. I'm looking forward to seeing the film and it sounds like Reeves achieved what he set out to do, but I maintain that the marketing was uncharacteristically bad for a Batman film. Apart from a nice moody teaser the trailers were weak sauce.

Do you mind elaborating why you consider the opening to be just “decent”? Do you have any numbers to share? 

1 hour ago, belblazer said:

FNMJhQiXsAgWy3x?format=jpg&name=large

So Taylor Swift is able to get away with clipping pirated/spoiler material just because she's Taylor Swift?  I guess Warners is happy with her free promotion...  Was this bit in any promo materials?  I haven't been paying precise attention.  

10 minutes ago, Macleod said:

So Taylor Swift is able to get away with clipping pirated/spoiler material just because she's Taylor Swift?  I guess Warners is happy with her free promotion...  Was this bit in any promo materials?  I haven't been paying precise attention.  

That scene is in trailers 

• Like 1