Eric S'ennui

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Too bad that didn't happen. I really think this should have gotten a nom in cinematography.

I agree. I wasn't too hot on the film itself, but it did look absolutely stunning and unique. Greig Fraser is one of the best DP's working right now

• Like 2

Similar to THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, this is the rare near 3 hour movie that feels underdeveloped. The story really could have merited THE BATMAN PART I and THE BATMAN PART II to flesh out some important aspects and get some prolonged action sequences. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, excel1 said:

Similar to THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, this is the rare near 3 hour movie that feels underdeveloped. The story really could have merited THE BATMAN PART I and THE BATMAN PART II to flesh out some important aspects and get some prolonged action sequences. 

I've watched it three times now. It's solid - sometimes even great - in the first half but collapses under the weight of the plot in the second.

The should have gotten rid of Selina and her out-of-nowhere revenge stuff altogether, but then you wouldn't have a single prominent woman. The Thomas Wayne plot was also undercooked and wasn't even resolved anyway.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the next film, my only concern is they decide to include that god-awful iternation of the joker we saw at the end. I guess Reeves' quality control took the day off when they filmed that.

Edited by Hatebox

There is no tension in the 3rd act because other than a totally random line, there is zero mention that Riddler is building to some bigger act of terror. And 100%, Selena's storyline is absolutely forced in. 

1. Riddler murders/scheme don't feel important because we are basically told to hate the people he is killing. Of course murder is terrible, but why is it so important to catch/stop the Riddler? This felt so underdeveloped. The "Riddler is the Zodiac" stuff does not really gel because we never see or feel society impact from him other a few glimpses of people outside of the funeral. 

2. The "twist" that will "shake Gotham to its core" and "disrupt the entire city to its core" comes in seriously half baked. I get it overall - the city leaders lied to everyone about the Maroni crime bust success when they really just took it over for their own personal enrichment and used a noble Thomas Wayne endeavor to cover it up - but we feel virtually none of the side effects. We feel zero societal breakdown. The detective stuff and maze of personal dynamics is interesting, but frankly, the film would have benefitted from slightly less detective work and "Your dad was bad/no he was good/he was actually mixed/falcone is the real bad guy" and more of "society is breaking down with each reveal" type of stuff.

3.. The "flood" was almost entirely shown in the trailers and isn't shown with nearly the impact that it would have had in real life. The entire ordeal feels rushed. Riddler only mentioned his "day of judgement" once before revealing the big thing to Bruce. They absolutely should have made that a larger part of his plan throughout the film to add a greater sense of urgency to stopping him.

Story really, really would benefited from being broken up into two separate, 130-140 minute films. Better establish the Maroni as Pablo Escobar type of character and make it a truly massive deal that he is apprehended. Better explain the Gotham renewal backstory. Give Catwoman and Batman more time to flesh out their paths. Flesh out Bella Real. Hype up the Riddler's "day of judgement" stuff. Would take a very solid, good movie and turn it into 2 likely classic films. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 4

My biggest issue with the twist is that it doesn't especially change the viewer's understanding of Gotham, since we know from pretty early on in the film that most of the city's elite is in cahoots with Falcone. Plus the city is already pretty much a hellscape. I think the film would have benefited from creating a more convincing illusion that the city government was doing the best it could under the circumstances and then pulling out the rug. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

The whole scheme jto destroy GOtham  City in the last act seems pretty forced.

not nearly enough buildup. It is supposed to this "OMG. BATMANS TOO LATE. ITS ALREADY HAPPENED" but instead it feels like "ugh there's more?!?"

Yeah pretty much agreed with the takes here. Selina herself is a fine character but her story is forced in and the payoff to it is completely underwhelming. The final act doesn't come off particularly tense and the entire plot point about "ackshually thomas wayne was not a good guy" was super weak (I am not sure what the point of even having it in was if Bruce's inner conflict was going to last 1 scene before being resolved; the film built it up so much only for it to fall flat). Still a decent film with good acting, great cinematography and a solid score, but that's where it ends for me.

Edited by JustLurking

Am i the only one who still really likes this movie lol? 😄

I dont even disagree that much with the criticisms here, but they just dont bother me as much. There are now so many Batman movies that im just glad this one tried to be a bit different. It has imo the best depiction of Gotham out of any of the movies and i really enjoyed the Detective part of Batmans potrayal here, even if it wasnt as clean as i hoped for. Its a bit too long yeah, but having Batman go trough an actual fleshed-out character arc is nice.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I dont even disagree that much with the criticisms here, but they just dont bother me as much. There are now so many Batman movies that im just glad this one tried to be a bit different. It has imo the best depiction of Gotham out of any of the movies and i really enjoyed the Detective part of Batmans potrayal here, even if it wasnt as clean as i hoped for. Its a bit too long yeah, but having Batman go trough an actual fleshed-out character arc is nice.

I don't dislike it, think its a fine film. But I think it wastes a lot of potential and ends up nowhere near as smart as it thinks it is.

• Like 1

Although narratively speaking it’s not as tight,it’s in the visuals and overall atmosphere that sets this Batman apart plus it has perhaps the most believable take on the caped crusader.Easily my favorite live action Batman.

Edited by Melosh
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Not at all, and I too can't argue with the points being shared here. I just still really enjoy it. I think one thing that really helps is it's visually almost perfect. It felt like I was watching a batman comic, or even the cartoon I grew up watching, come to life.

I do hope the story is better in the next one though.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 1