Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

I said it a week ago but looking at the release schedule, there's nothing in The Flash's path.  A 3rd weekend of Spiderverse and that's about it.  Transformers is looking like a soft opening and likely smallish legs.  Indiana Jones has really bad reviews.  

IF this is the crowd pleaser that most people say it is,  why couldn't it have strong legs?  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

So, are we talking about anything between $550m and $800m WW possible at this stage?

I don't see this doing 800M unless it has unreal WOM. I think with a great WOM and strong overseas performance it can get to 700M range...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Can you name any comic book films that are widely considered among the greatest of all time that are scored in the low 70s? Though who knows where it ends up score wise. Could be 60s

I already told you, Joker. But you ignored the post.   Also,  Aquaman did $1.1 billion on a 60% RT.   Funny enough,  both examples are DC films.  

I'm not predicting The Flash to break out like those two but you wanted examples so there they are. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is there any word on how much screentime Keaton has in this? I'm not going to watch it, but always curious how naughty marketing can be with this kind of thing.

Count the seconds from the trailer and multiply with 2 and you'll probably have it.

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

IF this is the crowd pleaser that most people say it is,  why couldn't it have strong legs?  

It can have strong legs, but is still a superhero movie with some frontloading. I can see something like 3.2x legs with excellent WOM, but anything above this is very unlikely IMO.

• Like 2

By the way,  $800M is way too high to me under any circumstance.  The box office just isn't back to 2019 levels and may never get there.  Yes, there's the couple outliers each year that break out in a huge way but for the most part $800M is really tough to do even if a movie is really well received.  

I'm going to say anything over $600-650M and WB should be dancing in the streets.  This isn't Batman and I don't see a Joker type situation playing out where it pulls in comic book moviegovers, casuals AND cinephiles or Aquaman where the huge underwater special effects bonanza went bonkers in Asia. 

• Like 1

Neither aquaman or joker are considering some of the best cbms of all time, thats ridiculous.

There is a reason why the vast majority of the best in the genre are in the 90s rsnge with great audience scores. Critics abd audiences correlate mosy of the time.

Tdk, tws, civil war, logan, spiderman 2, avengers, iron man, nwh, dofp, x2, black panther, iw, batman begins, superman, gotg, ragnarok, endgame.

What do they all have in common?

39 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is there any word on how much screentime Keaton has in this? I'm not going to watch it, but always curious how naughty marketing can be with this kind of thing.

Around one hour.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, saicoltrane said:

Neither aquaman or joker are considering some of the best cbms of all time, thats ridiculous.

There is a reason why the vast majority of the best in the genre are in the 90s rsnge with great audience scores. Critics abd audiences correlate mosy of the time.

Tdk, tws, civil war, logan, spiderman 2, avengers, iron man, nwh, dofp, x2, black panther, iw, batman begins, superman, gotg, ragnarok, endgame.

What do they all have in common?

Joker has the same rating as Endgame, IW, Into-The Spider-Verse on IMDb.  It has alongside those movies the third highest score for a CBM movie. Only behind The Dark Knight and Across The Spider-Verse

On Letterboxd it has the same rating as Ragnarok and is one of the highest rated CBMs there.

It was nominated for multiple Oscars, and won several aswell.

It smashed the box office and had very strong legs. Over 1B without China

Joker is one of the greatest movies in the genre, and is 100% a movie that goes under "some of the best cbms of all time"

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I said it a week ago but looking at the release schedule, there's nothing in The Flash's path.  A 3rd weekend of Spiderverse and that's about it.  Transformers is looking like a soft opening and likely smallish legs.  Indiana Jones has really bad reviews.  

It absolutely could (and I agree about weaker release slate), but even giving it very high for a CBM legs of GOTG3 off a ~$75 OW/$105-$110M first week would be at best a ~$250M domestic finish. Don't think is reasonable to expect something closer to Wonder Woman, which had a social effect (like BP and Joker) that there is no cause to think Flash will replicate

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Joker has the same rating as Endgame, IW, Into-The Spider-Verse on IMDb.  It has alongside those movies the third highest score for a CBM movie. Only behind The Dark Knight and Across The Spider-Verse

On Letterboxd it has the same rating as Ragnarok and is one of the highest rated CBMs there.

It was nominated for multiple Oscars, and won several aswell.

It smashed the box office and had very strong legs. Over 1B without China

Joker is one of the greatest movies in the genre, and is 100% a movie that goes under "some of the best cbms of all time"

No, its not. Its extremely polarising and divisive. Something that the other movies you mentioned arent.

5 hours ago, AJG said:

I saw this Bus Stop Ad earlier.

The Quoted Review is just some guys Twitter

20230603-153719.jpg

This is a RT-approved critic for We Live Entertainment. You're seeing his Twitter handle bc this weeks-old ad was from the reaction embargo being up - his review is a 9.5/10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Indiana Jones will open decently and take away screens. Weird to see people just wave it away like it’s nothing

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

So, wait, there's going to be another new actor playing Batman in the Gunny DC stuff in addition to Robert Pattison in his The Batman series?

The more I read the the trackers, the more I fear 250M~ is maybe the ceiling DOM. Oh, well. Summer of the Guardians, Spidey, Cruise and Barbie I guess. At least so far as DOM admissions go...

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Indiana Jones will open decently and take away screens. Weird to see people just wave it away like it’s nothing

Biggest deal here is it will take away most/all PLFs for good from Flash. But, yeah, it'll open to at least 75M+ OW DOM I'd think. 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So, wait, there's going to be another new actor playing Batman in the Gunny DC stuff in addition to Robert Pattison in his The Batman series?

Yep, another reboot Batman that will be sandwiched in between Rob’s Batman trilogy/ spin-offs. Will be interesting to see how that will play out. 

1 hour ago, saicoltrane said:

No, its not. Its extremely polarising and divisive. Something that the other movies you mentioned arent.

It’s only polarizing on US tbh, even the reviews are pretty much amazing in every country but US (it won Venice afterall) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1