Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

$115~140M is quite good IMO. It means one of the best openings for superhero movies this year and for DC in recent years.

I know some people expect higher probably because No Way Home broke many records. But to be honest, there is no strong desire of seeing these characters going around like three Spidey boys. Even Marvel itself has no way to recreate the crazy hype they had on NWH.

Besides, DC movies don't really work that way. The only way DC brand can do huge numbers today is continuously delivering good stuff and building confidence. And the truth is they didn't. Too many debuff they got. The Batman is the only one which brought huge money to them in 2020s. What can they expect?

Anything over $110M opening is a winning result.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

$115~140M is quite good IMO. It means one of the best openings for superhero movies this year and for DC in recent years.

I know some people expect higher probably because No Way Home broke many records. But to be honest, there is no strong desire of seeing these characters going around like three Spidey boys. Even Marvel itself has no way to recreate the crazy hype they had on NWH.

Besides, DC movies don't really work that way. The only way DC brand can do huge numbers today is continuously delivering good stuff and building confidence. And the truth is they didn't. Too many debuff they got. The Batman is the only one which brought huge money to them in 2020s. What can they expect?

Anything over $110M opening is a winning result.

given that it Father's Day weekend and federal holiday Monday, anything below 120m would be meh

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

The Flash doing well does not mean Superhero Fatigue isn't a thing, i believe A-list superhero characters will continue to do well as long as not total trash, but others may struggle, The Flash is said to be a love letter to the whole DC universe

Spider-Verse 2 is also expected to do well and GotG3 will leg it to an impressive total. So when is Superhero Fatigue supposed to set in again? As for the non A-lister thing, that was always true except for the MCU, which at this point is much bigger than it was previously so logically not every film will be a super success.

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

given that it Father's Day weekend and federal holiday Monday, anything below 120m would be meh

It's still releasing with a Pixar film and Transformers, Spider-Verse and Mermaid would still have theaters so 115M isn't meh, especially for a film which had so many troubles until release.

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Going to one of these fan screenings this week I think. Does anyone know how harshly 1iota people check your ID? The name on my account is missing my middle name.

In my experience, they've never once checked ID. Just scanned your ticket.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 8:31 PM, Napoleon said:

It's sad that online talk about the DCEU, especially the Zack Snyder films, have become so toxic that a lot of people won't have an honest discussion about this. But you're absolutely right. There was a lot of doom and gloom about the BVS reception and box office legs, but the predictions didn't materialize until after Snyder left and WB gave the complete creative control to someone else. Following BVS, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman broke opening records and were huge worldwide. Aquaman also became their biggest movie worldwide following Justice League. To me it doesn't make any sense to claim the Snyder films ruined the DCEU and are responsible for the box office bombs that happened so many years later, like the Shazam and Suicide Squad sequels. I hope one day people here can admit that. Ideally, The Flash would be the movie to finally unite every segment of the DC fandom, as the movie does seem to please everyone, though I'm not really expecting that because people online love negativity.

Bvs was such a disappointment that it caused an internal wb and DC shift with John's and Berg taking control. It literally caused executives to be replaced.  That's a pretty big sign of the movie causing damage. 

Also suicide squads reception was one of the main reasons birds of prey flopped. Also mos grossed 660 million on a 225 budget. Just because the movies after Snyder bombed it doesn't mean that the movies under him weren't disappointments. Justice league opening weekend kept track g lower each week without anyone knowing about the whole Whedon mess

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 8:05 AM, Ryan Reynolds said:

The Flash doing well does not mean Superhero Fatigue isn't a thing, i believe A-list superhero characters will continue to do well as long as not total trash, but others may struggle, The Flash is said to be a love letter to the whole DC universe

since when were Dr strange,  guardians,  Thor or black panther a-listers? Marvel made them a listens.  The notion that only a listens are now safe is ridiculous. All of those putgross most DC characters as well? 

The MCU should never stop trying to make lesser characters break out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeight said:

since when were Dr strange,  guardians,  Thor or black panther a-listers? Marvel made them a listens.  The notion that only a listens are now safe is ridiculous. All of those putgross most DC characters as well? 

The MCU should never stop trying to make lesser characters break out. 

not exactly what i meant , they will just not dominate and have to settle for 700-800m worldwide , only rare exceptions will make a billion

Wonder if they'll do a Cineworld Screening here in the UK, maybe in few select locations, to try and build buzz.

I've been seeing posters crop up here in the very North of London and they're really pushing the "One of the best superhero movies of all time" quote.

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Just like the totally legitimate walmart/man of steel debacle lol

1) FIFY

2) This has no 3D surcharge to inflate like some OTHER films have done...

8 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

So annoyed Toronto is the ONE city today doing a screening that didn't let you get tickets. Could only get in if you entered ticket contest giveaways.

Ya and we didn’t get any of the early screening imax events either on that Monday. Frustrating. 

• Sad 2