cax16

Captain America: Brave New World | February 14, 2025 | Harrison Ford is General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I wouldn't call them stupid - they were riding the gravy train with any material they could throw at a wall for as long as they could.  

That worked, mostly, for Phase 4...but eventually, it catches up to you...

Captain America 4 was always going to get greenlit in one way or another though. It’s probably considered a lot less risky than Thunderbolts simply because of recognition.

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Captain America 4 was always going to get greenlit in one way or another though. It’s probably considered a lot less risky than Thunderbolts simply because of recognition.

See, I think they are both too risky for huge budgets.

Thunderbolts for obvious reasons.

But Captain America is a technical 4th film, and it's still under the "America" brand which doesn't sell as well worldwide.

Not to mention, the 2nd series on D+ was Cap and Bucky - leads on each movie - and this series was not as well-received as the other early material (again, having the "messy" problem that has plagued Phase 4/5) and also designated these characters as "supporting" in audiences' minds or "homework needed".

I would have D+ released Cap in whatever form it is b/c 5 months of reshoots and then selling the movie won't be cheap - and at this point, they are short 2024 D+ material anyway.  If it's bad enough it needs 5 months, it's bad enough to just change plans and release to D+ and lower the expectations of fans...it may be, this movie is not saveable b/c of errors at the concept stage, so it might just be sending good money after bad.

But, I guess we'll see...unless Disney makes another change after thinking a few more weeks...

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But Captain America is a technical 4th film, and it's still under the "America" brand which doesn't sell as well worldwide.

Not to mention, the 2nd series on D+ was Cap and Bucky - leads on each movie - and this series was not as well-received as the other early material (again, having the "messy" problem that has plagued Phase 4/5) and also designated these characters as "supporting" in audiences' minds or "homework needed".

I would have D+ released Cap in whatever form it is b/c 5 months of reshoots and then selling the movie won't be cheap - and at this point, they are short 2024 D+ material anyway.  If it's bad enough it needs 5 months, it's bad enough to just change plans and release to D+ and lower the expectations of fans...it may be, this movie is not saveable b/c of errors at the concept stage, so it might just be sending good money after bad.

But, I guess we'll see...unless Disney makes another change after thinking a few more weeks...

Even ignoring Civil War having Iron Man in it, Winter Soldier made 700 million worldwide. I don't think that's an issue with the franchise by this point.

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah we're well past the character being called Captain America being an issue.

Yea, but some parts of the world prefer a white captain America. It is harsh, but the truth. You will see massive dips in boxoffice in Asian countries. That leaves Europe, which is so over comic book flicks. I don't see this matching anywhere close to 2nd and 3rd captain America flicks. If it is lucky it might get to 400+ or original cap depending on the reviews.

Someone remind me, when has a movie been delayed for 1 year and yet turn out to be a smash hit? Look at Avatar 2, it ended up being delayed for god knows how many years before it turned out fine. 1 year of extra development sounds really too little to rebuild a shitty movie, all you can do is to turn a D level movie to a C level one or a C level one into a B level. Is it really worth it? We have already seen it with The Flash, Indy V and now The Marvels.

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I doubt they’re releasing this on Disney+. In fact, unless it’s more Loki, I doubt they’re releasing anything super connected to the continuity of the movies on Disney+ anymore, they already came very close to saying that first with the Daredevil announcement and then with Echo’s trailer release and labeling it a “Spotlight” release, where they assured us you don’t need to watch anything else of the MCU to enjoy it.

So yes, they’ll have to fix the movie any way they can. All of this is assuming that what was reported in that tweet is true of course, it may also be a fake rumor or an exaggerated version of the truth (like that variety article for example).

7 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

This and thunderbolts should never have been green lit in the first place. Stupid decisions at Marvel is the reason for their downfall. 

And The Marvels and over half of D+ shows but even so connecting shows and movies was a giant mistake. They made The Marvels a direct sequel to a fuckin TV show that flopped, small wonder the movie is flopping too. Whoever thought interconnection between movies and shows was a good idea should resign. It was a catastrophic strategic decision that they still cannot shake off cause big chunk of their upcoming slate is still full of TV connections and characters.

45 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

I wonder who watched the Falcon series and decided it would need a full fledged movie as a sequel. At least they could have brought Zemo back too because he was one of the few good things about that dreck.

No TV show, absolutely none, should have gotten a movie as its sequel. Completely idiotic idea. They should have made shows, if they wanted shows so badly, only with characters who would never get movies and be in movies. Like Agents of Shield minus Coulson. That kind of stuff. Instead, they created mess with interconnection that simply wasn't going to work, ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masketta Man said:

I wonder who watched the Falcon series and decided it would need a full fledged movie as a sequel. At least they could have brought Zemo back too because he was one of the few good things about that dreck.

Plans for Captain America 4 movie likely existed before The Falcon and The Winter Soldier.

We should consider Marvel really have good expectatives for Disney+ shows, so they likely expected the Falcon show will increase the hype for Sam.

In fact, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier reception didn't seem so poor at that time. However, currently, we could notice a lack of interest on Sam.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

No TV show, absolutely none, should have gotten a movie as its sequel. Completely idiotic idea. They should have made shows, if they wanted shows so badly, only with characters who would never get movies and be in movies. Like Agents of Shield minus Coulson. That kind of stuff. Instead, they created mess with interconnection that simply wasn't going to work, ever.

Fans have always demanded that the tv shows should be more connected with the movies. Everytime the movies ignored them, people were not happy. They just gave people what they wanted, but maybe a bit too much.