cax16

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim | December 13, 2024 | New Line/WB | Anime | Kenji Kamiyama directing.

Animation style is fine.  But putting up about 20 seconds or so of LOTR live action footage as a bridge/lead in is... a choice.

If they had stuck to the live action ME map and then segued into an animated version of it, I think it would have been much better and pressed the same nostalgia buttons. Even non-actor shots of the landscape of Rohan/countryside would have worked well enough.  But I think they tried to attach a bit too much Remember How Much You Loved LOTR onto this.  Or at least I didn't like the way it was done.

Gut instincts still say mid 20s to mid 30s opener, but that's without looking at normie reception (as I already know which corners of Film Twitter are gonna love this).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Animation style is fine.  But putting up about 20 seconds or so of LOTR live action footage as a bridge/lead in is... a choice.

If they had stuck to the live action ME map and then segued into an animated version of it, I think it would have been much better and pressed the same nostalgia buttons. Even non-actor shots of the landscape of Rohan/countryside would have worked well enough.  But I think they tried to attach a bit too much Remember How Much You Loved LOTR onto this.  Or at least I didn't like the way it was done.

Gut instincts still say mid 20s to mid 30s opener, but that's without looking at normie reception (as I already know which corners of Film Twitter are gonna love this).

Yeah, that was such a weird introduction. I guess it's in the Jacksonverse, but when you show footage from the old movies, and then show something completely different...it kinda feels like I'm being catfished, even if the actual movie looks fine enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If they had stuck to the live action ME map and then segued into an animated version of it, I think it would have been much better and pressed the same nostalgia buttons.  But I think they tried to attach a bit too much Remember How Much You Loved LOTR onto this.  Or at least I didn't like the way it was done.

I can definitely see the reaction to the trailer intro being... not great. The actual trailer content is pretty solid, if a little uninspired. 

Definitely a hard one to predict, not sure what the expectations should be for this, but I have to imagine it at least has a good path to profitability. 

10 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

I can definitely see the reaction to the trailer intro being... not great. The actual trailer content is pretty solid, if a little uninspired. 

Definitely a hard one to predict, not sure what the expectations should be for this, but I have to imagine it at least has a good path to profitability. 

This is one of the few times box office-wise where the term "wild card" really means something. You could tell me this is hella niche and only makes 25M, or it's a shocking breakout at around 120M and neither would surprise me. I guess now I'm somewhere in the middle and it'll do above Heron and below the first Pokémon? idk idk idk idk idk

• Like 2

Wow I hate the way it looks, especially for a theatrical movie. It looks like every Netflix “anime” series.

And the story looks weirdly dull? Hoping it just isn’t presented well.

Very disappointed so far, but still willing to give it a chance.

• Like 3

Boring....Zzzzzzzzzz.......And yes, throwing Jackson's live-action footage in the trailer only primes an audience to expect something...they're not getting...yet.  This will maybe do $300 mil WW...if they're lucky.    

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Eric Ripley said:

Yeah, that was such a weird introduction. I guess it's in the Jacksonverse, but when you show footage from the old movies, and then show something completely different...it kinda feels like I'm being catfished, even if the actual movie looks fine enough.

Yes, that's exactly how I was feeling.  Wouldn't quite say "bait and switch", but kinda ham-fisted, maybe?

I get exactly what they were trying to do, just think the execution left a lot to be desired.

Still, want to see the normie reaction as I realize this is pretty "inside baseball" stuff when it comes to trailer analysis.

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

Netflix-vania art style

Truly.

The lower framerate does it no favors. I'd be distracted as all get out watching this on a theater screen; It doesn't have the visual pop and glam of a Spider-Verse or Puss in Boots 2 to distract from the fact that everyone moves awkwardly slow.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I don't see this being a hit tbh.

Unfortunately I agree. Someone earlier said $300 million worldwide, I think half of that if it’s lucky. It’s just too much of a swing to go for full blown anime.

And that opening part of the trailer is so awkwardly done.

If they got like Ghibli or ComixWave involved in this somehow and had that kind of animation quality, it would feel less like the cynical licensing contract fulfillment effort that it is. Pretty sure this would've gotten Maxed or Zaslaved entirely if it weren't for that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Unfortunately I agree. Someone earlier said $300 million worldwide, I think half of that if it’s lucky. It’s just too much of a swing to go for full blown anime.

And that opening part of the trailer is so awkwardly done.

I see $30m WW realistically. I think $70m WW would be outstanding.

Frankly I'd be shocked if WB are disappointed with even $30m. I can’t imagine this thing cost all that much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

I see $30m WW realistically. I think $70m WW would be outstanding.

Frankly I'd be shocked if WB are disappointed with even $30m. I can’t imagine this thing cost all that much.

Coming in under Spy x Family WW would definitely be a result. Think it should have a bit wider appeal. Super interesting gamble.