Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Is Space Jam and Suicide Squad going to be free on HBO Max day of release?

If so, yikes.

Space Jam 2's audience won't mirror the demographics of the normal HBO Max subscriber - this is why the kid movie releases have done so well for HBO Max day and date...

If you're a parent of younger kids, you are getting Disney Plus, not HBO Max...so, you are going to the theater for Space Jam 2 or skipping it...

I've said - if someone makes a Space Jam 2 #1 next weekend club, I'd join it:)...

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If 2 million people went to theater (which they wouldn't because of covid) instead of using PA, Disney is making only 12 million in profit.

2 mil households doesn't mean 2 mil people. And don't forget about $100 mil or so OS loss (espescially major parts of Asia, where the movie probably would've had a staggered release). This is not money they can recover really, unlike money made from PA, most which can be pretty easily recovered. 

1 minute ago, Cap said:

My friends and I are actually really excited for it. It’s giving me serious African Queen, Romancing The Stone and/or The Mummy feels.  I think if you just let the rock and Emily Blunt be delightfully infectious, and give some old fashion adventure hijinks, it would be a solid flick. 

Agreed, i liked the trailers. I feel some POTC / Indiana Jones vibe which is great.

I'm waiting the reviews to have an idea if the actual movie is good. But the way Disney treated it just looks confident to me.

It's a shame the pandemic and delays probably kill it's potential though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

You are right, every single one of those 2 million people would have gone to the theater to see this movie if PA was not there.  None of these 2 million people would have purchased the digital release under a traditional window.  They all just went you know what lets see BW on PA out of the blue.

And kids movies have been the worst hit movies during COVID with awful legs like Raya, Tom and Jerry, and the Croods.

Are you being sarcastic because I'm not saying everyone who bought PA would've went to the theater. I'm saying the opposite due to covid.

And what does Raya/The Croods/etc legs have to do with covid?

• ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Space Jam 2's audience won't mirror the demographics of the normal HBO Max subscriber - this is why the kid movie releases have done so well for HBO Max day and date...

If you're a parent of younger kids, you are getting Disney Plus, not HBO Max...so, you are going to the theater for Space Jam 2 or skipping it...

I've said - if someone makes a Space Jam 2 #1 next weekend club, I'd join it:)...

Someone needs to make that club.

I would but I just made another one.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Someone needs to make that club.

I would but I just made another one.

I would be so in. Space jam we have a big draw with families, basketball fans, and Urban audiences who seem to always be under tracked  when it comes to tracking. 

Edited by Nikostar

Funny enough, thanks to yesterday's business, one of my local Cinemarks has now made the decision today to book FOUR new movies next weekend (do we have 4 openers)?  Space Jam 2, Escape Room, Pig (what is this), and Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain (and when did this get made and how is this theatrical and not streaming)?  Anyway, 4 new movies on a 12 screen - this theater had Black Widow on 6 screens this weekend...by next weekend, I'm guessing 2, maybe?:)...

PS - It's been preselling Escape Room and Space Jam...so it's only the other 2 that are new:)...

Wow some doom and gloom here yes box office is back and also why some people here are writting off shang chi so quickly ?with what info ? Shang chi doing ant man numbers would be very decent in any case we still gave 2 months to go and bw hasnt finished yet

All of the “lost revenue” some of you speak of has already been recovered by the simple subscription price to Disney plus. Disney could never have another physical media sale or tv deal and they’d come out better than before just because of that simply subscription to D+

as for saying that PA needs to go so BW could have made 10m more domestic? 😂😂😂 you guys better be prepared to adjust to theaters behind a distant priority for Disney and by default, the movie industry. It’s a perpetual decline now. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 6

Disney are surely trying to get as much market share as a streamer to get rid of competition long term so they can slowly raise prices. We know there are to many streaming options in the market now and some will disappear and some will merge. But the end game will be to be able to raise Disney plus subscription service long term so to keep the share prices going up.

Having PA for BW is just another step in that direction. "Short term" loss for BW box office but longer term gain for subscriptions. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Disney are surely trying to get as much market share as a streamer to get rid of competition long term so they can slowly raise prices. We know there are to many streaming options in the market now and some will disappear and some will merge. But the end game will be to be able to raise Disney plus subscription service long term so to keep the share prices going up.

Having PA for BW is just another step in that direction. "Short term" loss for BW box office but longer term gain for subscriptions. 

You know they’ve outright said they’re easing prices as the service fills out and originals expand right? Why do people keep saying this like it’s some grand conspiracy. They’ve literally laid it out as their plan 

and they don’t care about the other streamers. Other than Netflix nobody is close them and never will be. 

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Never mind, not responding to this troll bait.

Whatever doesn’t fit your world view is troll bait now? Been saying this for the past year and it’s coming to fruition. Almost like exactly as I imagined. Has it been troll bait all along? Even when it comes true? Still troll bait? 

sorry the world isn’t going exactly how you want it to. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

Whatever doesn’t fit your world view is troll bait now? Been saying this for the past year and it’s coming to fruition. Has it been troll bait all along? Even when it comes true? Still troll bait? 

When someone says the only loss in boxoffice gross here is $10 mil dom, they're either incredibly ignorant or are trolling. 

And don't recall you ever talking about 45-day windows.