Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Marvel has much bigger reach than Snake Eyes.

Also, there is already lot of negativity around Shang-Chi for very weird reasons , less to do with the movie itself

Yeah and that’s the thing. The only thing going for Shang Chi right now is that it is part of the MCU, nothing else. 

Henry Golding is a bigger star internationally than Simu Liu. 

let’s be honest here if it wasn’t part of the MCU; many people here would not have been so lenient on the trailers and advocating it so much. It would have flopped more than Snake Eyes if it wasn’t part of the MCU.

The trailers and posters are genuinely worse than Snake Eyes, and less intriguing. People are gonna watch it because they are marketing Abomination and Wong; and that is part of the connected universe which they are a fan of.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If Shang Chi totally tanks and goes under 30m OW as an MCU movie with no day and date release or DC stink on it, I'll throw up my hands and join in with the delay crowd. Until then, Jungle Cruise and Free Guy and Respect and Candyman all gonna be pleasant surprises imo and nothing gonna move. In fact, I think that movie theaters seem safer to some people now than big crowded events given what we know about Delta.

100% agree with you. Though for me target is 40m 

Just now, Madhuvan said:

100% agree with you. Though for me target is 40m 

I'm in the high 30s/low 40s range personally. It'll get competent reviews because it is MCU and the news/reviews will make it clear it is an MCU movie, but it's a Z-list hero and no indication that it is a Marvel movie from the trailers. I'm pretty low on its potential in general but it's still a heavily advertised MCU movie not going to Disney+ so anything less than 35 is pretty terrible I must say.

• Like 2

Just now, TigerPaw said:

Yeah and that’s the thing. The only thing going for Shang Chi right now is that it is part of the MCU, nothing else. 

let’s be honest here if it wasn’t part of the MCU; many people here would not have been so lenient on the trailers and advocating it so much. It would have flopped more than Snake Eyes if it wasn’t part of the MCU.

I will tell you one thing , trailer might be better of Snake Eyes for some people but I can guarantee Shang-Chi will definetly be a good entry in MCU , that's the reason people are lenient on it. 

Also , isn't that benefit that every MCU movie gets and not just Shang-Chi?? Do you really think people would have went to OW of GOTG or Doctor Strange if they were not part of MCU?

Also , Simu Liu hasn't done much work so Henry Golding comparison doesn't make sense. It's not like Chris Hemsworth was big star during Thor. People are being harsh on him for no reason.  

• Like 1

Shang Chi will not go under 30M but under 50M is not impossible though I think it will open over. People are too wrapped up in doom and gloom forgetting that Black Widow still managed 80M despite PA and being a filler rather than an event. The brand is fine. It's got better fandom reception for wacky entries such as Wandavision and Loki than for generic, run of the mill ones such as FATWS and BW, so Eternals and NWH should do well. Also, next year has a Marvel line-up that people actually can't wait to see so corona or not boxoffice will pick up.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

Just now, Valonqar said:

Shang Chi will not go under 30M but under 50M is not impossible though I think it will open over. People are too wrapped up in doom and gloom forgetting that Black Widow still managed 80M despite PA and being a filler rather than an event. The brand is fine. It's got better fandom reception for wacky entries such as Wandavision and Loki than for generic, run of the mill ones such as FATWS and BW, so Eternals and NWH should do well. Also, next year has a Marvel line-up that fans actually can't wait to to see so corona or not boxoffice will pick up.

Also , there is a high chance Shang-Chi will be very well received. People following box office should very well know MCU can't be judged by trailers and posters.

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Also , there is a high chance Shang-Chi will be very well received. People following box office should very well know MCU can't be judged by trailers and posters.

Also, it has almost the whole September to itself. Even if opening is under 50M, it will chug along because there's nothing else til Venom 2 and if that moves than nothing til Bond. 

9 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

The trailers and posters are genuinely worse than Snake Eyes, and less intriguing. People are gonna watch it because they are marketing Abomination and Wong; and that is part of the connected universe which they are a fan of.

That's...true with every Marvel movie? Films live or die on the popularity of their brand or franchise, and even something like Black Panther or Iron Man would not be as popular as they are if they weren't Marvel-branded. Not sure why you're targeting this specifically as if this is the only movie that would flop if it wasn't Marvel-branded.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I will tell you one thing , trailer might be better of Snake Eyes for some people but I can guarantee Shang-Chi will definetly be a good entry in MCU , that's the reason people are lenient on it. 

Also , isn't that benefit that every MCU movie gets and not just Shang-Chi?? Do you really think people would have went to OW of GOTG or Doctor Strange if they were not part of MCU?

Also , Simu Liu hasn't done much work so Henry Golding comparison doesn't make sense. It's not like Chris Hemsworth was big star during Thor. People are being harsh on him for no reason.  

How do you guarantee it will be a good entry? You were in some form of test screening or you saw the leaks (I also did but nothing amazing from the leaks)? Did you guarantee BW will be a good movie as well?

You didn’t get my point. What I am saying is that at least for me and from many whom I have spoke to; including one who is head of marketing for the 2nd largest movie chain in my country; Shang Chi’s trailer is the worst one from MCU thus far; she said every screening of the trailer in theaters have been very muted so far compared to other MCU films.

I really would argue that Thor or Ant Man had better trailer; in terms of being intrigued - honestly Ant Man was intriguing to many (especially if they don’t know DC’s The Atom) and Thor’s trailer was freaking good IMO.

I am an Asian and I don’t need to be overseas to know that we have seen many Chinese kungfu guys with a tiger dads / moms and some dragon related story…  Representation or stereotypical? A very thin line. It is not just the storyline, the CGIs in the trailer wasn’t good….

Edited by TigerPaw

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

for spiderman to only hit 500 mill it would need to make what bw made sans china 400 mill + 100 mill from china  something thats laughable to be honest..........spidey not only will have bigger or way bigger ow it will also have great legs bc of xmas and bc it will be theatrical only.....

Yeh, that’s why I said $500m wouldn’t be a huge win for it. Not when people were dragging Black Widow for missing $400m without China. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

That's...true with every Marvel movie? Films live or die on the popularity of their brand or franchise, and even something like Black Panther or Iron Man would not be as popular as they are if they weren't Marvel-branded. Not sure why you're targeting this specifically as if this is the only movie that would flop if it wasn't Marvel-branded.

Nah you didn’t get my point. My point was that many other MCU films had other things going for it; good release dates, good and solid trailers (black panther and iron man 2 had very good trailers lol) etc - Shang Chi literally only has the MCU connection - I cannot think of any other very strong points why people want to watch it. Representation? See my previous comment.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

That's...true with every Marvel movie?

That tend to be false for every Marvel movie imo, they tend to have many more things going for them, from the genre (super heroes, action, comedy), the giant promotion and budget that goes into impressive trailers.

Guardian of the Galaxy did not had just the fact it was branded has a Marvel entry going for it, same for Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc..., not as popular without it is significantly different than they would be nothing without it.

How much more than being just an MCU entry change title by title, even for new entry that do not have the obvious case of being a sequel of a popular movie also going for them, that why the OW can vary from 50M to 200M for them, even between first MCU entry.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I am an Asian and I don’t need to be overseas to know that we have seen many Chinese kungfu guys with a tiger dads / moms and some dragon related story…  Representation of stereotypical? A very thin line. It is not just the storyline, the CGIs in the trailer wasn’t good….

I am an Asian and honestly I am pretty excited for it.

Anyways , we were talking about USA which certainly will watch and be interested in film like this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

You didn’t get my point. What I am saying is that at least for me and from many whom I have spoke to; including one who is head of marketing for the 2nd largest movie chain in my country; Shang Chi’s trailer is the worst one from MCU thus far; she said every screening of the trailer in theaters have been very muted so far compared to other MCU films.

Even Shang-Chi TV spots are being received extremely well and getting lots of like and views. One even trended , so I don't know about this , I don't have any contact so you might very well be right but I do check how it's doing on YouTube , twitter and Facebook.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That tend to be false for every Marvel movie imo, they tend to have many more things going for them, from the genre, the giant promotion and budget that goes into impressive trailers.

Guardian of the Galaxy did not had just the fact it was branded has a Marvel entry going for it, same for Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc..., not as popular without it is significantly different than they would be nothing without it.

How much more than being just an MCU entry change title by title, even for new entry that do not have the obvious case of being a sequel of a popular movie also going for them, that why the OW can very from 50M to 200M for them.

Thank you very much. Finally someone who got my point

Edited by TigerPaw

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Even Shang-Chi TV spots are being received extremely well and getting lots of like and views. One even trended , so I don't know about this , I don't have any contact so you might very well be right but I do check how it's doing on YouTube , twitter and Facebook.

How did Detective Pikachu do in terms of trailer views and likes?

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

How do you guarantee it will be a good entry? You were in some form of test screening or you saw the leaks (I also did but nothing amazing from the leaks)? Did you guarantee BW will be a good movie as well?

Well MCU never have one single movie hated by audiences.

Even your example BW have decent grades online and an A- on Cinemascore, which is totally acceptable.

No one saw Shang Chi but considering their universe expect it to be another generally well received entry is way more realistic than not.

Like or dislike the marketing is personal and another completely different thing. I actually kinda agreed, the posters for this movie are all horrible for me too, but i'm still pretty sure this will get +80% on RT and A- Cinemascore at least.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I am an Asian and honestly I am pretty excited for it.

Anyways , we were talking about USA which certainly will watch and be interested in film like this. 

East Asian? Or? 

Just want to be clear that Asia is pretty big and cannot be generalised, and obviously Simu Lui’s representation is more specific towards some group than others. But if you feel it is very representation of your culture, feel free :)

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

East Asian? Or? 

Just want to be clear that Asia is pretty big and cannot be generalised, and obviously Simu Lui’s representation is more specific towards some group than others. But if you feel it is very representation of your culture, feel free :)

I am Indian. Although movie doesn't target my culture, I just feel very proud seeing Asian lead in my favorite franchise. 

• Haha 1