WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

F9 audience for Paw Patrol...in family form...

"Diversity demos were 35% Latino, 32% White, 13% Black, 10% Asian/other. Best markets for Paw Patrol were in the mid and South-west as well as Canada which we hear is overindexing."

How come this only adds up to 90%?

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Lol Reminiscence is in 13th place in Canada. Protege 8th. Paw Patrol beat Free Guy yesterday. Night House is only 2K behind Protege. Suicide Squad passed Jungle Cruise total. 

Even the French dub of Paw Patrol is higher than all other openers.

Never underestimate the power of toddlers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'll be surprised if Encanto still comes out this year. That vaccine pass is going to kill family movies for the next few months. And thanks to ScarJo they can't do a dual release either. If it remains in November, they'll likely give it the 45-day window that a lot of movies these days come with. It didn't affect Free Guy, so it shouldn't affect Encanto.

Under 12 are exempt from vax passes. If anything that might be one of the demos that benefit more from vax passes because of reassuring overcautious parents.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Wow at that 100% Friday bump of FG, in normal year, I would even predict a week-to-week gain in 4th week due to Labour Day but since SC will be there to steal the screen and spotlight, I should downplay a bit my hope to 110m total. 

Glad to see a great 2nd week hold after so many terrible hold throughout summer. With this, I can say FG is the first surprise hit since DS. 

Shang will have plenty of screens to steal from other holdovers. Next weekend we’ll see something like (all numbers rough, don’t @ me with quibbles):

Free Guy 13M 3k PTA

Candyman 13M 3.7k PTA

Paw 6M 1.9k PTA

Cruise 4M 1.4K PTA

DB2 2.4M 1k PTA

Respect 2M 800 PTA

TSS 1.5M 600 PTA

Protege 1.2M 450 PTA

Night House 1M 450 PTA

Reminiscence 900k 250 PTA  

With those bolded in about 10,000 locations between them while pulling putrid putrid occupancies/PSAs. The stuff in the 2M-4M gross range and the 200k-800k gross range won’t exactly be doing hot business either. If anything I expect Free Guy will add some screens next weekend… and keep them on Labor Day despite Shang as just about everything else gets completely kicked to the curb.    

Looking at past Labor Days I think an increase for Free Guy can be in the cards, though not easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I mean, $14M for a movie that was dirt cheap to make isn't going to move many needles either way but the lack of big grossers for movies aimed at that demographic when other types of movies have done just fine (some even with simultaneous releases) won't give studios much confidence about going theatrical only for their kiddie titles. I know plenty of people who still won't take their very young kids to many public places because of the complete lack of vaccine options for them at the moment. That more than anything else is what has factored into the studio's decisions. Pretty easy to see.

Adult-targeted titles aren't having it much better either. Respect is looking at a 60% drop in its second weekend according to Deadline despite an A CS grade and no simultaneous release and that's exactly the kind of movie where its main demographic isn't likely to rush out on opening weekend.

That’s my point though. It’s making $14 million this weekend from 3,000’ish theaters when it’s entirely for very little kids. And it’s on tv. If that doesn’t show that people want to take their kids to the movies, I don’t know what does. 

I appreciate that there are some people out there afraid to take their kids to the cinema, but that’s from complete misinformation sadly. And that’s up to them.  

Yet I don’t sign up to this seeming acceptance within even our community that people don’t in general want to take their kids to the movies.  They’d take them in bigger numbers if there was a big film for them to see that wasn’t on at home too. 
Studios have used the pandemic to trial out streaming and day and date. On the family movie front, it seems nobody wants to budge in being the first one to go exclusive and prove a big kids movie can still make a ton of money.  

I mean, seriously. If Disney had put Luca out in 4,000 theaters and not on tv/day and date/streaming, families would have gone in large numbers.  But there we go. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Free Guy's hold is incredible. I was wrong and very impressed. Should do 100m. Hopefully studios finally realize exclusive theatrical and original concepts are worth risking

disgusting openings and even worse holds (Respect)

yep. Word of mouth and exclusivity. People just getting back into the habit, and the longer studios keep messing around with home stuff the harder that’s going to be. 
I’m hopeful Shang Chi really blows the doors off.  As per usual Disney will be the ones to lead the way. Which they should have done months ago. 

I think we’ll likely hear some positive news around more 45 day window agreements, coming from CinemaCon this week. 

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

yep. Word of mouth and exclusivity. People just getting back into the habit, and the longer studios keep messing around with home stuff the harder that’s going to be. 
I’m hopeful Shang Chi really blows the doors off.  As per usual Disney will be the ones to lead the way. Which they should have done months ago. 

I think we’ll likely hear some positive news around more 45 day window agreements, coming from CinemaCon this week. 

Disney was one of the last studios to make shorter theatrical agreements. They're not leading the way lol.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Disney was one of the last studios to make shorter theatrical agreements. They're not leading the way lol.

i’m not suggesting they will, but I think all of the other big guns will do 45. 

on the Shang Chi front though, I’m really expecting that to now prove what we’re mostly saying. Big movies only in cinemas can do the business.  We know it, but do need an upcoming major movie to prove it again for sure.  Then we could have a pretty decent Fall on our hands. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The level to which this has worked out for Disney is quite comical  while basically everyone else is floundering

Didn’t they just open The Night House to $2m? They own Searchlight. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

i’m not suggesting they will, but I think all of the other big guns will do 45. 

on the Shang Chi front though, I’m really expecting that to now prove what we’re mostly saying. Big movies only in cinemas can do the business.  We know it, but do need an upcoming major movie to prove it again for sure.  Then we could have a pretty decent Fall on our hands. 

Universal alredy has 30-day window and Paramount and WB (for 2022) set 45-day deals in stone months ago.

• Like 1