WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Little Mermaid is the 3rd best of that era of Disney animation - and (as as 89 title) it singularly rewoke up quality Disney animation's 90's Golden Era...Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Little Mermaid in that order are all A tier movies (with Aladdin and Hunchback coming up just behind in the still spectacular tier)...

I mean, this scene is wonderful...and is done better than Luca's echoes of the same now...

literally luca only "does" this scene for like three minutes in the beginning and then becomes a totally different movie with radically different themes. And also the music of the little mermaid is great; the movie is meh. I'd agree with you on historical context and how it's lasted in the cultural pantheon but that doesn't automatically make it a great movie fo rme

• Like 1

I'm confused as to how Luca being a giant streaming hit means it will have cultural impact. It seems like movie has already been forgotten, and that's because of the way streaming works. I think the movie will have the same cultural impact as another kids film streaming hit like Enola Holmes had.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm confused as to how Luca being a giant streaming hit means it will have cultural impact. It seems like movie has already been forgotten, and that's because of the way streaming works. I think the movie will have the same cultural impact as another kids film streaming hit like Enola Holmes had.

Well people still talk about it on social media, constantly i see it trending, there lots of fancams, drawings, toys, memes etc that the young people like this days... And the movie is more than 2 months old and still #1 on Nielsen, how a forgotten movie can pull this numbers?

I don't remember Enola Holmes generating so much buzz after 2 or 3 weeks to be a good comparisson here.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well people still talk about it on social media, constantly i see it trending, there lots of fancams, drawings, toys, memes etc that the young people like this days... And the movie is more than 2 months old and still #1 on Nielsen, how a forgotten movie can pull this numbers?

I don't remember Enola Holmes generating so much buzz after 2 or 3 weeks to be a good comparisson here.

A bunch of kids constantly watching something doesn't mean it will be remembered for years. I mean sure a lot of Disney animated films were constantly watched by toddlers too, but I feel like those films had a cross-generational appeal, which is why they're still talked about 30 years later. I've never seen Luca trend since its release, but searching it up on twitter, all I see is a bunch of gay fanart.

And again, big streaming numbers doesn't mean cultural impact. I'm nore sure how big Enola Holmes was on Nielsen, but it was Netflix's 7th biggest film. Certainly doesn't feel like it. Also the Luca nielsen number is for July 19th-25th (a bit over a month), not August. 

Maybe the movie would've had some kind of large impact had it had a theatrical release, but I feel like the movie has already been forgotten by most people because of a streaming release.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

A bunch of kids constantly watching something doesn't mean it will be remembered for years. I mean sure a lot of Disney animated films were constantly watched by toddlers too, but I feel like those films had a cross-generational appeal, which is why they're still talked about 30 years later. I've never seen Luca trend since its release, but searching it up on twitter, all I see is a bunch of gay fanart.

And again, big streaming numbers doesn't mean cultural impact. I'm nore sure how big Enola Holmes was on Nielsen, but it was Netflix's 7th biggest film. Certainly doesn't feel like it. Also the Luca nielsen number is for July 19th-25th (a bit over a month), not August. 

Maybe the movie would've had some kind of large impact had it had a theatrical release, but I feel like the movie has already been forgotten by most people because of a streaming release.

I do think "cultural impact" is a bit too much for a 2 months old movie. We usually only see the cultural impact of movies way after released, even for those released on theaters.

But it is a phenomenon tho, the numbers are being undeniable spectacular.

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

literally luca only "does" this scene for like three minutes in the beginning and then becomes a totally different movie with radically different themes. And also the music of the little mermaid is great; the movie is meh. I'd agree with you on historical context and how it's lasted in the cultural pantheon but that doesn't automatically make it a great movie fo rme

But then it's just derivative of the next movie that was better...although at least that one wasn't animated...

I'm okay with being derivative...but if you're gonna be derivative, you better be better...Luca is worse than its homages...

The problem with these kinds of debates on whether movies will leave cultural impacts or not is that, really, it's too early for a lot of these movies to say one thing over the other. You don't automatically make a movie and consider it a classic and can really only use educated guesses on how people are reacting to it currently. And even then, all of these proclamations are based on anecdotal evidence or just personal biases. These biases can be one own's personal thoughts on the movie or in Luca's case, a lot of people going into a "streaming bad" argument and taking the movie down with it. So I don't think either side can make any proclamations here and just go off assumptions, however flimsy they may be.

And as for my flimsy assumption, I think Luca will be just fine in the grand scheme of things in terms of "impact". It was watched quite a bit when looking over statistical evidence, I've seen solid discussion on the film from the Animation Twitter peeps I follow, and the Disney marketing machine will ensure Luca will stay relevant to kids regardless. Disney's always done a great job keeping their movies alive in people's heads, far more than somebody like Netflix, and I sincerely doubt being only on Disney+ will cause it to be forgotten and buried forever like some folks here are making it out to be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

But then it's just derivative of the next movie that was better...although at least that one wasn't animated...

I'm okay with being derivative...but if you're gonna be derivative, you better be better...Luca is worse than its homages...

Ok again you’re stating your opinions as facts and in that case, I will say factually that Luca is better than most of what it homages ;)

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

And again, big streaming numbers doesn't mean cultural impact. I'm nore sure how big Enola Holmes was on Nielsen, but it was Netflix's 7th biggest film. Certainly doesn't feel like it.

Ageed. Some big stremaing hits have cultural impact (eg The Queen's Gambit), some don't (eg Ebola Holmes). It's like big movies with zero staying power. They drew audience in their time and then people kind of forgot about them.

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This is sad and bad news for adult orientated movies in the fall/winter

Why? Warner clearly dumped this movie.

They literally didn't do anything to promote it, just the very basic. I doubt anyone will see this shit result to a movie that nobody cares (including the Studio) and make assumptions about movies that people actually Care.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Why? Warner clearly dumped this movie.

They literally didn't do anything to promote it, just the very basic. I doubt anyone will see this shit result to a movie that nobody cares (including the Studio) and make assumptions about movies that people actually Care.

Over 3000 theaters with recognizable star Jackman, not even making 2M. Movie aimed at adults have not been tested yet....well, until Reminiscence. It's just not good.  WB didn't have faith in a movie aimed at adults in pandemic to promote more.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Over 3000 theaters with recognizable star Jackman, not even making 2M. Movie aimed at adults have not been tested yet....well, until Reminiscence. It's just not good.  WB didn't have faith in a movie aimed at adults in pandemic to promote more.

Respect literally came out last week lol