MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

34 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I have seen Tenet at least half a dozen times and I find it have a great repeat value. That said I agree on the lead. I wish JDW had the charisma of his father. 

Oh I really like Tenet! I think the final third of the film is some of the BEST Nolan stuff, period. Just find it a bit harder to get to that point.

My bottom line with Tenet is, if I don't care about what's happening, and if the movie clearly doesn't care whether you can follow its labyrinthine plot or not, why should I remain invested as a viewer? It's just a well-crafted mindless action movie with awful sound mixing and a plank of wood for a lead. And I really liked JDW in BlackKklansman!

Easily the nadir of Nolan's studio career. So glad that he seems to have gone back to the drawing board for this one.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

I'm also a big Tenet fan. Script has a lot of issues, but the directing is on point and I'm a sucker for espionage films and time travel films. So right up my alley. Just wish Nolan had assistance on the script. As for JDW, his character was drawn blankly. Didn't even have a name! Not sure where JDW was supposed to be drawing acting/character inspiration from, when bouncing between heavy exposition scenes where he's just asking questions to his scene partner, and the big set pieces.

It does seem like Nolan nailed the screenwriting element with Oppie though.

• Like 1

I saw the movie was at 95% on rt and when I clicked the page, it went up to 97%. Best film of the year surely? And Barbie is looking nice at 90%. This weekend is going to be insane. I’m going to see both movies.

These reviews are terrific. I'm particularly happy to hear that for many the film has emotional resonance. My favourite Nolan films are those that succeed on an emotional level. We already know his craft is excellent in all of the other ways.

When is the last time that we had two critically acclaimed films opening on the same weekend with both looking to make a significant splash at the box office? This is such a treat.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I saw the movie was at 95% on rt and when I clicked the page, it went up to 97%. Best film of the year surely? And Barbie is looking nice at 90%. This weekend is going to be insane. I’m going to see both movies.

Might be the reverse. I see 97% at 63 reviews but we're up to 95 reviews counted in the total now

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

RT site is weird. You can refresh the movie's page repeatedly and get a different answer each time. 83 reviews one time, 63 the next. It's like you're going back in time.

I think the RT score on the homepage is always up to date, so it's 95%.

3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Because I'm too lazy to look it up, when was the last weekend with two very wide releases to both have 90% RT scores?

That is an interesting question.

And if Oppie also goes above 70 OW, then this will be a truly historic weekend all-around.

2 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

Oppenheimer joins 'Are You There God? It's Me Margaret' and 'Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse' are Empire Magazine's only 5 star movies of the year

Shocked by that, they used to give 5 stars out like candy 

• Like 1

after thinking for a while after watching this, a very high rt score isn't that surprising, i do think that audience score will be a bit lower though.

i think 87 max, i predict 85 though. higher than dunkirk but lower than many crowd pleaser that nolan released.

Edited by rayjulio