The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

20 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dune is a must see in IMAX/Dolby so the hybrid release should not impact the OW because of that demand. The 2nd weekend drop will be horrendous, though. Ticket sales are indicating 40m

I think next weekend and Dune may break the record for the PLF vs regular screening box office ratio...we may get a nice look at how much PLF only releases could make...

1 hour ago, Justin4125 said:

They are in the same franchise, made by the same producer/studio, based on the same comic book series and they ultimately overlap into the same movie. To criticize the saminess of MCU films is to me, a pretty lazy critique (no disrespect to you) that chooses to ignore what makes them different. If seeing all the movies was required to enjoy them, I would agree with you, but it isnt. The fact that the standalones are self-contained means those interconnected bits are just bonuses for the fans. I'd also add that they're mainly great by comparison. We're not talking about auteur filmmaking here, I think its difficult to argue that any other studio is close when it comes to consistently solid entries in a long-running, interconnected franchise. If you hate all things commercial more power to you, but I see too many fans of other blockbuster franchises lobbing comments like these against the MCU while lauding franchises that are clearly not doing it as successfully

I disagree that they are standalone, maybe some of them yes, but many of them depend on each other and it would be weird to watch them without full context. In fact I really miss superhero movies without cinematic universes, just standalone stories from the actual filmmakers with unique vision/style. I've never felt so robbed since I paid to see Spider-Man: Homecoming, maybe the most soulless and generic blockbuster I've ever seen, I just stopped watching MCU right after that, it sums up everything wrong with many modern studio products to me.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

Halloween has the advantage of being a direct sequel and having JLC back as an iconic character so nothing will ever touch Halloween 18, but a Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street reboot that was actually well-reviewed and marketed (and maybe Englund back?) would open to 40m in these days of horror nostalgia. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Halloween has the advantage of being a direct sequel and having JLC back as an iconic character so nothing will ever touch Halloween 18, but a Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street reboot that was actually well-reviewed and marketed (and maybe Englund back?) would open to 40m in these days of horror nostalgia. 

The last Friday did open to 40M all the way back. Nightmare wasn't that far off a year later either. I think either brand could pull 50M OW with the right movie/marketing campaign.

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Godzilla vs Kong probably would have done 100m OW weekend in normal times though. What would Dune have done, maybe 60m at the max? It's still a three hour long Dune movie.

Well I mean it’s not a fair comparison. GvK came out during a time of social distancing in auditoriums, Regal completely out of the picture, and cases still at an alarming high. Dune is in a much better situation by all accounts.

19 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Godzilla vs Kong probably would have done 100m OW weekend in normal times though. What would Dune have done, maybe 60m at the max? It's still a three hour long Dune movie.

I have no skill of box-office prediction but by that standard FOTR was just one part of a 3-hour weird trippy hippy fantasy book.

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I have no skill of box-office prediction but by that standard FOTR was just one part of a 3-hour weird trippy hippy fantasy book.

To be fair, I have always told my spouse (and others) that Peter Jackson deserved an Oscar for all 3 LOTR movies b/c he took 3 unreadable awful boring long books and made them into something not only watchable, but actively enjoyable...(since my spouse is an uber-fan of the books, he's never amused when so many of my friends and family agree with this assessment)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh Zilla is +100m in normal times easily, but I think Dune would hit 100m in normal time too. Its PG13 and has a very popular cast. Also 3 hrs is being facetious, its shorter than No Time To Die.

7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Given that my parents were massive stoner hippies that made me read the Hobbit as a kid, I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question 🤣 I'd have to see a comparison of book sales or something.

• Haha 1

Considering at first I was at Dune was destined to die, I think now considering how well it’s tracking as well as the hype it has been garnering, I think in a normal Christmas 2020 barring COVID, it probably would’ve had a $75m-$100m five day imho.

• Like 1

As for the HBO Max affected releases and a non as dominant Covid period: GVK probably an OW around $80m-$100m and Space Jam 2 would’ve done around $50m, and while it’s too soon to say I think Matrix 4 would’ve been a 400m+ domestic hit. I do think Malignant with a proper marketing campaign and no MAX, I think a 20m OW could’ve happened.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

To be fair, I have always told my spouse (and others) that Peter Jackson deserved an Oscar for all 3 LOTR movies b/c he took 3 unreadable awful boring long books and made them into something not only watchable, but actively enjoyable...(since my spouse is an uber-fan of the books, he's never amused when so many of my friends and family agree with this assessment)...

They're a bit meandering by modern lit standards, but calling them unreadable is...a take.

• Like 1

It's funny how people minimize Peacock impact because it's a flop platform.

Yeah it is, but there are HD versions of the movie since early. You don't need to sign Peacock to watch it for free in good quality.

It's impossible to say how damage this cause, but it is damaging.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's funny how people minimize Peacock impact because it's a flop platform.

Yeah it is, but there are HD versions of the movie since early. You don't need to sign Peacock to watch it for free in good quality.

It's impossible to say how damage this cause, but it is damaging.

Definitely, but if you compare Disney premium movies and their legs to HBO Max movies, it's clear that piracy isn't responsible for most of the difference.

• Like 2