Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Godzilla vs Kong probably would have done 100m OW weekend in normal times though. What would Dune have done, maybe 60m at the max? It's still a three hour long Dune movie.

why would godzilla v kong have done 100M OW pre covid?

is that the calculation we use now? Whatever something grossed in pandemic times, multiply it by 2 to get the "real" figure?

what nonsense...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Well, I’m not gonna claim Dune sold more copies because it most assuredly hasn’t (not close). But it’s probably one of the most famous SF novels and it’s sold something like 20 million copies. 

@Cmasterclay

Dune: 20 million book sales

The Hobbit: 140 million book sales

Lord of the Rings: no one knows. Probably upwards of 200 or 300 million.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Thanks.  Was this posted by Deadline, Variety etc?

Deadline article

Icelandic horror folktale Lamb moves from 500 to over 800 screens after viewers – can we say flocked? – to the Ari Aster-ish genre pic (Hereditary in 2018 was also from A24). Adventure documentary The Rescue, by the directors of Free Solo, where intrepid divers save a Thai boys soccer club trapped in a remote flooded cave, expands from five screens to 552.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ronin46 said:

Deadline article

Icelandic horror folktale Lamb moves from 500 to over 800 screens after viewers – can we say flocked? – to the Ari Aster-ish genre pic (Hereditary in 2018 was also from A24). Adventure documentary The Rescue, by the directors of Free Solo, where intrepid divers save a Thai boys soccer club trapped in a remote flooded cave, expands from five screens to 552.

Ah, maybe I should keep Deadline/Variety etc. around in my bookmarks.

2 minutes ago, Val357 said:

Ah, maybe I should keep Deadline/Variety etc. around in my bookmarks.

Normally BO Pro or BO Report updates it but sometimes not I guess. Its a good idea to have a look through Deadline speciality updates as they will talk about various small films rolling out and so on. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Deadline article

I hope The Rescue continues to make a bunch of money, loved Free Solo and by all accounts The Rescue is great as well (hopefully I get to see it once cinemas open here) 

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If you don't think all the MCU movies have very similar visual styles, emotional beats, and quippy humor, I really don't know what to tell you. I'm not even saying they're bad, but look at all the MCU movies next to the Raimi Spider-Man movies - they're much different in many ways!

I mean they have similar structure sure but acting like Ant-Man, Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther are nearly the same is silly.

C'mon.

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Jamiem said:

I hope The Rescue continues to make a bunch of money, loved Free Solo and by all accounts The Rescue is great as well (hopefully I get to see it once cinemas open here) 

5 screens for The Rescue and nearly 70K gross so 14K per theatre. Rolling out to over 500 it wont be able to hold at that level but hopefully it can do a 1M+.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I mean they have similar structure sure but acting like Ant-Man, Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther are nearly the same is silly.

C'mon.

But they are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

5 screens for The Rescue and nearly 70K gross so 14K per theatre. Rolling out to over 500 it wont be able to hold at that level but hopefully it can do a 1M+.

Oh yeah expecting PTA to come way down this weekend (and subsequent weekends) but hopefully legs it out over the next weeks/months to $5m or so. 

38 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

C'mon.

Different characters/locations, but mostly the same tone/feel/style/humor with some exceptions here and there. The best MCU movies were done by the actual filmmakers, so their vision still shines through, even though not as much as in their non-MCU movies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Different characters/locations, but mostly the same tone/feel/style/humor with some exceptions here and there. The best MCU movies were done by the actual filmmakers, so their vision still shines through, even though not as much as in their non-MCU movies.

So Thor Ragnarok has the same tone and humor as Black Panther and Winter Soldier?

Yeah okay. You guys are really doubling down on this. Maybe because it's all you got when complaining about Marvel's insanely successful formula. 

i still say you wouldn't associate these movies with each other if they weren't connected.

• Like 2