Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Feiges talked a lot, particularly around WandaVision, about how he feels superhero projects need to be willing to try doing different stuff to avoid going stale. And pretty much the one thing everyone agrees on about Eternals is that it's very different.

And he is right, maybe he will make some mistakes in the process but this also happened before.

Phase 1 have movies like Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain América... All of them not very succesful with critics or audiences (in some cases like Hulk it didn't work for both). Maybe now that they're "restarting" the same will happen eventually, but it must happen to avoid making people tired of watching the same.

11 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m just the lone voice in the wilderness here, and I’m well aware of that, but doing something different would be not tying it into anything else at all. 

This would be doing something different than the MCU, but it wouldn’t be a  very good job of doing something different in the MCU, which is pretty clearly what we’re talking about 😛 

• Haha 2

After the tepid reception to this, which proves that you can't really make a big superteam resonate with audiences without introducing its members in previous entries, we likely won't even get a "Mutant" namedrop let alone a proper X-Men movie until the 2030s at the earliest. They're going to take their sweet time methinks.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

After the tepid reception to this, which proves that you can't really make a big superteam resonate with audiences without introducing its members in previous entries, we likely won't even get a "Mutant" namedrop let alone a proper X-Men movie until the 2030s at the earliest. They're going to take their sweet time methinks.

10 brand new characters is probably too much strain, but 5 was a mega success. Considering that with x-men you have previous versions to lean on for some familiarity/investment I’m sure you could start x+men with like an 8 person main/core team in a 2 hr 10 min movie and have it go fine. Especially if you gave a more normal linear actiony plot for the GA.

Edited by Eternal Legion
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

170M-180M range for the DOM total. MCU is back to 2011.

Ahh I remember when 180m was seen as good and 300m was for the BIG EVENT films. 400m? That was like one per year and 500-600m was once a decade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I shudder to think what would happen to this board if it does "just" 120/400.

You say  that and it’s true the board would react that way but yet no spider-man movie has outgrossed the 2002 movie domestic so 410 domestic would be pretty damn good.

That 400m is for domestic right?

Wait so Dune, the 3rd remake of a book, that cut off the story before it got good, and Eternals, the new property, both had just okay/divisive WOM despite big budgets and respected directors, and Dune did much less numbers and was spun as some magic success when the only notable thing that came from it were memes about sand and its poster, and Eternals doing 70-ish is considered this massive disaster that means the MCU is in trouble?

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills here but agendas gonna agenda I guess. Not saying any deserved to fail or succeed but it's weird watching how hard these narratives, no matter how cynical, really has people in a chokehold. 

Edited by thedast
  • Like 1

Haven't been on this weekend and catching up looks like audience scores overseas are meh and B cinemascore backs that up I guess people didn't like it very much. 

MCU long term should be fine though lots of sequels coming up with new characters relegated to Disney+ (Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk, Iron Heart) which should take the heat off them to 'perform'

Hell even after the sequels all the new characters introduced in movies are known to the general audience through past films (Blade, Fantastic Four and presumably X-Men) Makes me wonder when the next time we will have a completely new introduction on the film side like Shang-Chi or Eternals, might not be for a long time. 

Just now, Jamiem said:

Hell even after the sequels all the new characters introduced in movies are known to the general audience through past films (Blade, Fantastic Four and presumably X-Men) Makes me wonder when the next time we will have a completely new introduction on the film side like Shang-Chi or Eternals, might not be for a long time.

Nova

1 hour ago, poncho said:

In the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt we understand that a version of the film will be released that removes all scenes of intimacy — be they heterosexual or homosexual. This is generally normal practice for these markets.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-banned-saudi-arabia-qatar-kuwait-bahrain-oman-1234867992/

Its not due to intimate scenes. I haven't seen the movie yet but I believe it will be just for sake of it and not really important. 

The film is banned in these countries due to religious issues. That's all. 

If it was only Homosexuality, they would have trimmed, editted on their own.

7 minutes ago, thedast said:

Wait so Dune, the 3rd remake of a book, that cut off the story before it got good, and Eternals, the new property, both had just okay/divisive WOM despite big budgets and respected directors, and Dune did much less numbers and was spun as some magic success when the only notable thing that came from it were memes about sand and its poster, and Eternals doing 70-ish is considered this massive disaster that means the MCU is in trouble?

Yeah bro. Not that hard to understand.

11 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Nova

Spoiler

Introduced in Guardians 3 though

For the same reason as above I wouldn't consider Black Panther an introduction as he appeared in Civil War before his film. 

Edited by Jamiem

8 minutes ago, Jamiem said:
  Hide contents

Introduced in Guardians 3 though

Maybe?   

CM, BP, SM were teased or full on introduced in prior products, SC and Eternals were the first full on new intros since 2016. I think it’s not something that will happen much anymore regardless of the mix of sequels vs first entries.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thedast said:

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills here but agendas gonna agenda I guess. Not saying any deserved to fail or succeed but it's weird watching how hard these narratives, no matter how cynical, really has people in a chokehold. 

I don’t think MCU is in trouble at all. But I do think your comparison is flawed.

Is Eternals a simultaneous release on a mainstream streaming platform?

Or was Eternals hit by HD piracy 1 week prior to release?
Was Dune part of perhaps the most popular cinematic franchise in the world today (where the last film, of an unknown character, in the same franchise released 3 months back is currently the highest grossing film domestically)?

There is a difference in expectations of course. You cannot compare absolute numbers like that.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Maybe?   

CM, BP, SM were teased or full on introduced in prior products, SC and Eternals were the first full on new intros since 2016. I think it’s not something that will happen much anymore regardless of the mix of sequels vs first entries.

Fair enough and yeah Captain Marvel is a little different than the other 2 but you are right that they were moving away from that anyway.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thedast said:

If you think Dune had okay/divisive WOM then you are indeed taking crazy pills.

• Like 5