Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

I've gotten the Marry Me trailer a couple times in theaters and it weirdly made me realize something that I'm shocked nobody in Hollywood has done before: why hasn't there been a Blumhouse equivalent for comedy movies? I know comedies are one of the most star-driven genres out there, but I don't think it's that hard to make really cheap comedy films that can serve as low-risk, high-potential ventures. And Blumhouse is able to get solid B-list and even A-list talent for some of their bigger movies, so you could probably still get the likes of John Mulaney or Iliza Shlesinger or Pete Davidson in these films.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

Nah dude. 2019 was an AMAZING year for film. So many deserving movies

I wasn't implying that 2019 was a weak year or anything, I loved quite a few movies that year, probably my most diverse year in terms of genres I watched. I just personally thought Endgame deserved a nomination because I found it to be a great movie.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

People haven't brought it up,  but George Clooney and Julia Roberts are starring in a romantic comedy in 2022. If that doesn't get marketed as a big event, and doesn't do big numbers at the box office, THEN Adult blockbusters are truly dead. Unless it sucks, there's no reason that that movie shouldn't be a hit

i'm not gonna lie reading up on it that seems like an obvious flop coming from a million miles away. it sounds like pinning the hopes for adult cinema on like, Larry Crowne or something.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

I've gotten the Marry Me trailer a couple times in theaters and it weirdly made me realize something that I'm shocked nobody in Hollywood has done before: why hasn't there been a Blumhouse equivalent for comedy movies? I know comedies are one of the most star-driven genres out there, but I don't think it's that hard to make really cheap comedy films that can serve as low-risk, high-potential ventures. And Blumhouse is able to get solid B-list and even A-list talent for some of their bigger movies, so you could probably still get the likes of John Mulaney or Iliza Shlesinger or Pete Davidson in these films.

There is, just not for white people. 

Will Packer Production's resume with affordable, hit comedy from 2012-2019 was terrific.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

But... theaters are still releasing movies that you'd like though. This is literally everyone's point. Yes, the "superheroes and the Star wars" movies are obviously the ones on top, but there are PLENTY of movies that you could go watch in theaters right now that are more up your alley

People complained like this before the pandemic, though, they acted like comic book movies and animation were literally the only things getting into 3,000 theaters. The New York Times was even trying it...

Which didn't tell the whole story...

Box office patterns were changing but 2019 had Ford v Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917, Little Women making healthy sums (and also getting into Best Picture, but people still complained nothing popular get nominated). I saw Parasite in a multiplex that was playing Frozen 2 on 5-6 screens and counted all the little Elsa and Anna and Olaf costumes on the way. Different types of movies could coexist in theaters.

Too many people seem to feel that if comic book movies/Pixar/etc.  disappeared from theaters, then everything would be like it was when Kramer vs Kramer could win the year (of course, when American Sniper was huge, Film Twitter wasn't really exactly thrilled).

It's obvious now that if it weren't for tentpoles and franchises, the domestic movie theaters would likely be out of business. The domestic market can clearly support movies over the century mark at this point, theaters haven't been flagged as a superspreader source at all, but a third to half the audience is just not interested in coming back. Of course the studios are going to read into the numbers and will adjust what they release into theaters as a result.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Encanto is likely missing $100M at this point between competition/theater losses/D+ release coming up over the next two weeks. I guess we'll know how Disney feels about this performance if they decide to make Turning Red a streaming release only or something.

I doubt that it will be streaming only. I just hope that they give it more than 30 days until it goes to Disney+ though

• Like 1

I feel 2019 was the year where mega block buster really dominated the box office.

I know there other films but I feel casual audiences where just waiting in between disney/mcu releases to go to theaters that year. 

Captain Marvel

Endgame

Aladdin

Toy Story 4

Far From Home

Lion King

Frozen 2 

Joker

Star Wars 9

Edited by Torontofan

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

republicans are saving hollywood

The map does help explain why Christmas with the Chosen will outgross about 80% of the adult-oriented films released this year...

And now, maybe I need to rethink American Underdog and its BO more this Christmas...ahhh, if only this was NFL playoff weekend #1 release vs a Christmas one...although, maybe that will be the Xmas leggy movie...

I could see the Greatest Showman of yesteryear being American Underdog this one...if it doesn't suck...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

There is, just not for white people. 

Will Packer Production's resume with affordable, hit comedy from 2012-2019 was terrific.

Release
Date
Title Production
Budget
Opening
Weekend
Domestic
Box Office
Worldwide
Box Office
2020-2029 Praise This        
Aug 19, 2022 Beast        
Jan 12, 2021 Hot Mess        
Feb 14, 2020 The Photograph $15,000,000 $12,181,865 $20,578,185 $20,704,381
Aug 23, 2019 Jacob’s Ladder        
Apr 12, 2019 Little   $15,405,455 $40,860,481 $49,207,917
Feb 8, 2019 What Men Want $20,000,000 $18,232,087 $54,611,903 $69,911,903
Sep 28, 2018 Night School $29,000,000 $27,257,615 $77,339,130 $103,113,446
May 11, 2018 Breaking In $6,000,000 $17,630,285 $46,840,590 $51,485,382
Jul 21, 2017 Girls Trip $28,000,000 $31,201,920 $115,108,515 $140,886,353
Nov 11, 2016 Almost Christmas $17,000,000 $15,134,235 $42,065,185 $42,493,506
Jan 15, 2016 Ride Along 2 $40,000,000 $35,243,095 $90,862,685 $124,827,316
Jan 16, 2015 The Wedding Ringer $23,000,000 $20,649,306 $64,460,211 $80,171,596
Sep 12, 2014 No Good Deed $13,200,000 $24,250,283 $52,543,632 $54,323,210
Jun 20, 2014 Think Like a Man Too $24,000,000 $29,241,911 $65,028,687 $70,027,933

Averages   $21,520,000 $22,402,551 $60,936,291 $73,377,540
Totals 15 $215,200,000   $670,299,204 $807,152,943

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I doubt that it will be streaming only. I just hope that they give it more than 30 days until it goes to Disney+ though

I'm certain Disney pre-emptively saying Encanto would be on D+ on Xmas Day kneecapped the movie in theaters. Its one thing for vague 45-dayish window, its another when "gee this will be on this thing I already subscribe in a month, I could wait."

Chapek really DGAF

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Marry Me trailer was good, IMO. Memorable. Strong hook, likable cast. Should do well for Valentines. Was probably cheap to make too so a win for the studio.

Really? It looks so bad and contrived to me. I think Ticket to Paradise looks like the more appealing Universal romcom next year. 

4 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Really? It looks so bad and contrived to me. I think Ticket to Paradise looks like the more appealing Universal romcom next year. 

Haven't seen that one but this played well when I saw it. Gucci fans should show up for it. Big music/movie star, glamour, rich meets poor, romance.

Edited by Valonqar

I guess I've made my peace with the DOM OW numbers for WSS, as they are at least within the $10-15M range suggested by tracking (though the very low end). On the other hand, OS numbers are just plain horrific. Yes, I agree that Sondheim isn't a household name here in Europe (I'd never heard of Into the Woods until they announced a film adaptation), but West Side Story is a very famous musical and Spielberg a very famous director.

These are the markets left (per IMDb): Croatia, Spain, Hong Kong, Italy, Australia, Iceland, Singapore.

Edited by Hilderic

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Marry Me looks more tolerable than most frivolous JLo movies. Could make for a pleasant date night/Sunday afternoon with mom type of movie.

Thank you. I was trying to figure out what marry me was, and now I know exactly what trailer we’re all talking about. I thought it was weird in the beginning, but then once they revealed the premise I was like oh this makes sense on why it’s Owen Wilson.

Anyway,

I don’t know if I want to open this can of worms, but I just finished the Succession season finale, and I am so hype right now. 

Another thought I had about the market drying up for adult drama/adult film, is that we’re really living in the golden age of prestige television. It’s not just HBO anymore. And if you look back at a lot of the cultural milestones of the past decade or so most of them feel like TV series. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, etc. I mean name a better romcom in the last like 10 years than Ted Lasso’s episode “Rainbow”?

TV or streaming isn’t the second rate kid to film anymore. And so I think a lot of content that might’ve been a movie, has gotten re-purposed into television shows because it might just fit the format better.  

THAT SAID OMG SUCCESSION FINALE!!!

DEAD. WE DEAD. 

• Like 1