Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

On 1/31/2022 at 11:06 PM, Eric Knoxville said:

Moonfall Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 37 192 6719 2.86%

Comp

1.280x of Snake Eyes T-3 (1.79M)

0.259x of The Suicide Squad T-3 (1.06M)

0.146x of Dune T-3 (747K)

Again, if people have ideas for comps, please let me know. It does seem however that IMAX and theaters with their own PLFs might have bet on the wrong horse this weekend.

Moonfall Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting

TOTALS 0 42 213 7750 2.75%

Total Seats Sold Today: 21

Comp

1.049x of Snake Eyes T-2 (1.47M)

0.237x of The Suicide Squad T-2 (972K)

0.140x of Dune T-2 (715K)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/31/2022 at 11:14 PM, Eric Knoxville said:

Uncharted Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-17 and Counting

TOTALS 0 54 192 10233 1.62%

Total Seats Sold Today: 26

Comp

0.306x of F9 T-17 (2.17M)

0.865x of The Suicide Squad T-17 (3.55M)

0.437x of Venom 2 T-17 (5.07M)

0.762x of Ghostbusters: Afterlife T-17 (3.43M)

Uncharted Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-16 and Counting

TOTALS 0 55 200 10285 1.94%

Total Seats Sold Today: 8

Comp

0.301x of F9 T-16 (2.14M)

0.851x of The Suicide Squad T-16 (3.49M)

0.411x of Venom 2 T-16 (4.76M)

0.601x of Ghostbusters: Afterlife T-16 (2.7M)

I'm not sure why today dropped like a rock, because I assumed there would be a more gradual decline than this, but I'm just praying this is just a blip. Although more and more lately, those have been some famous last words.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Jackass runs into the issue where its audience is more likely to be show up almost exclusively past a certain hour of the day. Matinee business will be dead for the most part.

The real issue here is that, like I said before, YouTube and Tiktok exist now. No need to pay to see crazy stunts when you can find plenty of those on modern social media platforms. I feel like even a midteen launch is an overly generous projection. Johnny Knoxville must have some mad blackmail on the Paramount suits because otherwise there's no legitimate way in hell a movie like this hits theaters now.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The real issue here is that, like I said before, YouTube and Tiktok exist now. No need to pay to see crazy stunts when you can find plenty of those on modern social media platforms. I feel like even a midteen launch is an overly generous projection. Johnny Knoxville must have some mad blackmail on the Paramount suits because otherwise there's no legitimate way in hell a movie like this hits theaters now.

YouTube was hardly obscure or unknown in 2010 when the last proper Jackass movie came out. Even back then, everyone was using it to watch videos.

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

You keep saying this yet ignore how other posters are reporting solid enough sales, trade tracking has it mid-teens with higher potential for 20 as EmpireCity mentioned and that Jackass is more than the stunts—it’s the nostalgia of the cast. What blackmail does Knoxville need? This is one of Paramount’s greatest franchises and it cost only 10million. They’ll be fine.

But I’m sure you’ll repeat this again by Friday 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You keep saying this yet ignore how other posters are reporting solid enough sales, trade tracking has it mid-teens with higher potential for 20 as EmpireCity mentioned and that Jackass is more than the stunts—it’s the nostalgia of the cast. What blackmail does Knoxville need? This is one of Paramount’s greatest franchises and it cost only 10million. They’ll be fine.

But I’m sure you’ll repeat this again by Friday 

It's such a weird take.  Knoxville must have blackmail on Paramount?  

Gee, it is either that or the $500m in worldwide box office grosses that Jackass movies have brought in, and likely that much in home video and streaming.  

I can't imagine why a studio would let Johnny Knoxville make yet another movie in a BILLION dollar franchise.  Why would they do that????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Jackass runs into the issue where its audience is more likely to be show up almost exclusively past a certain hour of the day. Matinee business will be dead for the most part.

It's definitely a "let's go have a few drinks before hand" kind of movie. That's definitely my group's plan 😅

• Haha 2

FWIW, Jackass is at 50 tickets sold for Thursday at my theater and Moonfall is at 55. I don’t have good comps for this (I never did small movies but going forward I will try to do at least a final count on Thursday for any film with previews) but…..

JF vs NWH (Final) = $705K

JF vs 355 (Final) = $565K

MF vs NWH (Final) = $776K

MF vs 355 (Final) = $621K

My theater is really good at comping against SH films but I have no clue about movies like this. Either way, I can see both coming in below $1.5M Thursday. IM is harder to predict. I’m thinking maybe 8-10x for Moonfall and 12-14x for Jackass? 

Edited by RiddlerXXR
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like in addition to that Netflix/Black History Month thing they have going on Cinemark will also be bringing back select DreamWorks Animation titles this month cause Kung Fu Panda is returning to screens for 1-2 shows a day at select locations which will be followed by How to Train Your Dragon on the 11th, The Croods on the 18th, and Trolls World Tour on the 25th.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I pointed this out too a while ago: 

“It probably helps that — not to generalize — fans of “Jackass,” a property that exists only to put stars Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O and Wee Man in harm’s way, may not be as concerned about leaving the house amid COVID-19.”

• Like 1