Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

12 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

Considering the question not long ago was if 100m was on the table, I don't think 70m can be considered any sort of victory.

Yeah. 9 million more than Transformers and 3 million more than Black Adam can not be looked at as win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Not stunned at all by the Flash. I get alot wrong so not attempting to brag. But given that WW did 103 despite being a beloved and socially relevant hit in prime superhero times, and a Justice League movie did only 93 despite being a fucking Justice League movie, I don't know why a more minor character in a broken DC universe with a toxic star and no goodwill for this character would suddenly explode. Because it features a Batman from like five Batmans ago who was like the third biggest character in his own movies? Because it stole a gimmick two different Spider-Men movie had done? I think I had it 80/220 in my January predictions and that felt high. The amount of hand wringing about it is just out of control and totally manufactured and not reflective of reality. 70 would be very impressive tbh.  End rant.

70 would not be impressive. Like...not at all. You might've thought it'd do bad but that wasn't the general mindset and at the end of the day it's a 190-200 budget movie. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Not stunned at all by the Flash. I get alot wrong so not attempting to brag. But given that WW did 103 despite being a beloved and socially relevant hit in prime superhero times, and a Justice League movie did only 93 despite being a fucking Justice League movie, I don't know why a more minor character in a broken DC universe with a toxic star and no goodwill for this character would suddenly explode. Because it features a Batman from like five Batmans ago who was like the third biggest character in his own movies? Because it stole a gimmick two different Spider-Men movie had done? I think I had it 80/220 in my January predictions and that felt high. The amount of hand wringing about it is just out of control and totally manufactured and not reflective of reality. 70 would be very impressive tbh.  End rant.

Even if it's a Batman from 30 years ago, it's still Batman lol 

Let's stop BSing about this movie. It'd be one thing if The Flash was literally just Flash, but the way it was sold it's essentially as a Flash-Batman team-up film. There was reason to expect it to do better, and to want it to do better. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This movie was already filmed when No Way Home came out. I doubt that was a factor at all in the making of this one.

If you ask me, this movie just feels half a decade too late and is looking to underperform because of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Moderation: Please refrain from left/right nonsense in this thread (and preferably any other thread). Thanks

I know politics can be toxic, but for films like Sound of Freedom, The Blackening, and Barbie, where race and politics have an impact on ticket sales, opening weekend, and internal multiplier, can that be discussed?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 21C said:

Even if it's a Batman from 30 years ago, it's still Batman lol 

Let's stop BSing about this movie. It'd be one thing if The Flash was literally just Flash, but the way it was sold it's essentially as a Flash-Batman team-up film. There was reason to expect it to do better, and to want it to do better. 

the people who grew up on keaton are now in their 40's and 50's and might not be interested in comic book movies anymore/or willing to splurge on a ticket for a supporting role for keaton, it would be one thing if it was an old batman movie starring keaton but its not

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goldenhour36 said:

I know politics can be toxic, but for films like Sound of Freedom, The Blackening, and Barbie, where race and politics have an impact on ticket sales, opening weekend, and internal multiplier, can that be discussed?

If the conversation can remain about the box office then sure.

But we both know it won’t. 

Also, no discussions about it need to be in this thread either way. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Goldenhour36 said:

My post was specifically in response to a post that is now hidden. But as XXR said those discussions can be had in their individual threads as long as the discussions are relevant and civil. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eric Prime said:

What does this mean?

Click on a site for a movie at Cinemark and it says "THIS MOVIE IS HOT! ### people have viewed this movie today"

Gonna start logging data and see if there's any correlation lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Elemental MTC1 Previews(T-3) - 13652/312865 211666.02 2263 shows +2335

first day above 2K sales since opening day. Let us see how tuesday goes. Can it double again. 

Elemental MTC1 Previews(T-2) - 16851/337737 258446.67 2496 shows +3199

Just ok day. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Wonder if TGM will be a good comp for MI7 when it comes to presales

In theory is the obvious comp, but I always find MI franchise to be quite backloaded no matter how many sequels it had and how good the movies are. I don’t know if TGM success will change the way audiences relate with MI that much after so many years.

In resume, TGM sales started out very strong out of the gate and i’m not sure MI7 will be close even if i think the OW itself won’t be that far (i’m expecting ~100M OW vs 126M for TGM)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Wonder if TGM will be a good comp for MI7 when it comes to presales

In theory is the obvious comp, but I always find MI franchise to be quite backloaded no matter how many sequels it had and how good the movies are. I don’t know if TGM success will change the way audiences relate with MI that much after so many years.

In resume, TGM sales started out very strong out of the gate and i’m not sure MI7 will be close even if i think the OW itself won’t be that far (i’m expecting ~100M OW vs 126M for TGM)

That would be awesome if it could open even close to 100 million opening weekend but keep in the preview showings and it opens wednesday so more likely 100 million over 5 days plus early shows. it needs to make a lot of money quick before oppenheimer hits. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

That would be awesome if it could open even close to 100 million opening weekend but keep in the preview showings and it opens wednesday so more likely 100 million over 5 days plus early shows. it needs to make a lot of money quick before oppenheimer hits. 

Oh i forgot they decided to drop on WED, you’re right 

well that will mess the comps even more lol