Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

28 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Sounds like a B+ Cinemascore...

It ends on a very emotional note but... still, it's a Baz film that's more or less an Elvis trailer. We'll see what audience reception is like. hopefully decent enough cinemascore and that it can still manage at least a 3.3 or 3.4 multiplier

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I wouldn't necessarily defend it as a good movie. The third act is a drag, framing the movie around Hanks is both vague and contradictory, and the film offers no meaningful insight/depth into Elvis. It's a very shapeless and shallow script. But as a visual experience and showcase for Elvis the performer, it's unmatched. The sound is loud, full of plenty of giddy editing techniques such as split screens, it's breathlessly paced for the first 2/3, and Butler truly throws himself into the role, even if it gives him nothing to play other than a showman

If you like Baz (Moulin, Romeo and Juliet, and Gatsby especially), you'll like this

So Bubba Ho Tep is still the best Elvis biopic?

Bubba Ho-Tep by Joe R. Lansdale

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Very strong walkins for Black Phone in Harkins. Looks like $2.25-2.5M previews from Harkins. 

Elvis around $3-3.25M.

Will give final update in some time.

MTC1 is similar as well. BP has has better walkups than Elvis. SO BP will do better than tracking and Elvis slightly worse. Let us wait for friday numbers to be sure. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Eric Presley said:

Minions: The Rise of Gru Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-8 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 125 253 27571 0.96%

Total Seats Sold Today: 24

Comp

3.286x of Jungle Cruise T-8 (8.87M)

0.348x of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 T-8 (2.18M)

0.969x of Lightyear T-8 (5.04M)

Minions: The Rise of Gru Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-7 and Counting

TOTALS 0 125 316 27571 1.15%

Total Seats Sold Today: 63

Comp

3.511x of Jungle Cruise T-7 (9.48M)

0.394x of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 T-7 (2.46M)

1.057x of Lightyear T-7 (5.5M)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thor: Love and Thunder Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-15 and Counting

TOTALS 0 185 5184 34527 15.12%

Total Seats Sold Today: 116

Comp

0.388x of Spider-Man: No Way Home T-15 (19.42M)

1.088x of The Batman T-15 (23.49M)

0.546x of Doctor Strange 2 T-15 (19.65M)

Thor: Love and Thunder Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-14 and Counting

TOTALS 0 185 5359 34527 15.52%

Total Seats Sold Today: 175

Comp

0.377x of Spider-Man: No Way Home T-14 (18.87M)

1.101x of The Batman T-14 (23.79M)

0.558x of Doctor Strange 2 T-14 (20.08M)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nope Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-29 and Counting

TOTALS 0 60 163 12440 1.31%

Total Seats Sold Today: 5

Nope Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-28 and Counting

TOTALS 0 60 177 12440 1.42%

Total Seats Sold Today: 14

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Horror movies always do better in walk ups than any other genre, so less a reflection on Elvis and more a natural bit of good news for Black Phone. It's why I'm not gonna freak about Nope yet even if that kinda has a fanbase. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's why I'm not gonna freak about Nope yet even if that kinda has a fanbase. 

Been refraining from saying this, but... I'm kinda sorta impressed with Nope's pre-sales.  Frankly I've been expecting a few ofer's by now, and yet the lowest selling ticket day locally so far has been 4 tickets sold (have had a handful of 5's, 6's, and 7's, it should be noted).

With a frankly absurd number of pre-sale days I think it's... selling actually pretty well for the genre.

Now, Peele does have a fanbase, which I can't ignore. And maybe all of these pre-sale days are going to burn up so much demand that it won't be as backloaded as horror normally is.  But am I "cautiously optimistic"?  Yeah, I think so.

(definitions of 'cautiously optimistic' may vary, naturally)

• Like 2

Elvis MTC1 Thursday Previews - 48977/224751 744392.69 1589 shows

it does benefit by having Dolby shows. But walkups were meh today. it was way ahead of BP at the start of the day and now it looks like finishing lower. However I have to say my run was 2 hours earlier and it might have sold bit more after that but its most probably selling fewer tickets with higher ATP. 

Thinking 3.2m previews with early shows. But I expected better walkups today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I honestly do not get the hysteria about Nope in here. The theater that I go to, AMC Lincoln Square in New York, already has almost 75% occupancy for the 7:30 pm IMAX on Thursday night a month before release. That seems pretty great to me. I see people posting about "hype," which is probably supposed to based on internet fanboys, but I see nothing about actual numbers   

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I honestly do not get the hysteria about Nope's pre sales in here. The theater that I go to, AMC Lincoln Square in New York, already has almost 75% occupancy for the 7:30 pm IMAX on Thursday night a month before release. That seems pretty great to me. I see people posting about "hype," which is probably supposed to based on internet fanboys, but I see nothing about actual numbers 

Do you only post here to freakout and criticize others?

5 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I honestly do not get the hysteria about Nope in here. The theater that I go to, AMC Lincoln Square in New York, already has almost 75% occupancy for the 7:30 pm IMAX on Thursday night a month before release. That seems pretty great to me. I see people posting about "hype," which is probably supposed to based on internet fanboys, but I see nothing about actual numbers   

Agree