Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

I just saw that Death on the Nile carries a $90M budget compared to $55M for the first movie despite having a much less starry cast, what the hell. Did human sacrifices for Hammer to feast on Temple of Doom-style boost the budget a ton or something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

The Batman Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-23 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 5 1076 1349 79.76%

Comp

0.843x of Black Widow T-23 (11.13M)

1.164x of Eternals T-23 (11.06M)

Oh wow, a superhero movie is the only thing making big numbers. What a surprise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eric Poirot said:

Comp

Oh wow, a superhero movie is the only thing making big numbers. What a surprise

Gimme that $200 million ow pls

• Like 3

Honestly back when the trailer for Uncharted landed it always felt like a $60-75M grosser to me. Even with Holland having No Way Home afterglow, that'll only go so far when the movie doesn't really look like anything special (and is probably destined to get weak reviews to boot).

• Like 1

The Batman Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-23 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

86.89%

Total Seats Sold Today

COMPS WILL APPEAR STARTING THURSDAY

===

Actually down a smidge from an hour or two ago, as people presumably cancel placeholder tickets. 

The reason there is only two showings locally instead of the three I mentioned last night is because the local TrueIMAX was originally listed on The Batman website as one of the locations that was gonna show the Fan First Event. It never put up a showtime, however, and tickets never went on sale there. 

At some point this morning, that theater location was removed from the official website, so I presume either the deal to show it fell through, or more likely, someone just plugged in all of the IMAX locations in the US and never cross-referenced it with the actual site that were booked to have the early screening.

Since there's only two showings, no reason at all to bring in comps.  Will roll in the tickets sold for the Day One Comps once Thursday comes to pass.

NB: Tuesday March 1st has no listings at all for the theater in question, so if it ever pops up (unlikely as that might be), I'll make a note of it and add it to the totals. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Eric Poirot said:

Comp

Oh wow, a superhero movie is the only thing making big numbers. What a surprise!

What a poor start. Just 11m preview.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

Uncharted Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-9 and Counting

TOTALS 0 55 311 10285 3.02%

Total Seats Sold Today: 10

Comp

0.332x of F9 T-9 (2.36M)

0.928x of The Suicide Squad T-9 (3.81M)

0.349x of Venom 2 T-9 (4.05M)

0.491x of Ghostbusters: Afterlife T-9 (2.21M)

@MrPink asked me to update him on this in the Telegram chat, so...here you go buddy. And honestly, I think this movie's probably gonna struggle. I'm getting serious NTTD/Matrix 4 vibes with how little momentum there is here.

It's really weird that this is coming out in the UK (and some other countries) in like 2 days. Is Sony gonna rock a TOMB RAIDER (2018) and just not allow reviews, even though it'll be out in some markets?

No UK premiere either? 

Edited by Pinacolada

2 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

It's really weird that this is coming out in the UK (and some other countries) in like 2 days. Is Sony gonna rock a TOMB RAIDER (2018) and just not allow reviews, even though it'll be out in some markets?

No UK premiere either? 

The Oscar nominations and the Super Bowl will dominate pop culture this week. I'm not expecting the embargo to lift until next Thursday.

8 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

Comp

I'm pretty new to the tracking game, but this seems really great for a movie still 3 weeks away, right? And for the special fan screening that hasn't been as heavily promoted. Or are the comps for Black Widow and Eternals also based on first-day presales?

Edited by Dragoncaine

22 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

I'm pretty new to the tracking game, but this seems really great for a movie still 3 weeks away, right? And for the special fan screening that hasn't been as heavily promoted. Or are the comps for Black Widow and Eternals also based on first-day presales?

Fairly expected for a $20M+ previews film. There’s a highly limited supply of these fan/investor pre-shows VS the overall demand for presales tickets to the movie. The comps are to BW and Eternals when both were 23 days away from Thursday previews, not after 24 hours of presales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

Marry Me embargo lifts this 9am this Thursday.

Uncharted embargo lifts 9 am next Tuesday. Don't know how that works with the movie due out in the UK this weekend 

Between the Oscar nominations and the Super Bowl, there isn't really any room for Uncharted reviews this week. That's definitely an earlier lift than I expected. Maybe there's some confidence from Sony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Fairly expected for a $20M+ previews film. There’s a highly limited supply of these fan/investor pre-shows VS the overall demand for presales tickets to the movie. The comps are to BW and Eternals when both were 23 days away from Thursday previews, not after 24 hours of presales.

Got it, thanks for clarifying. In that case, we really just have to wait for tomorrow and (hopefully) see the comps blow up.

21 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Near sellouts in almost everywhere I looked. This is breaking out for sure. Definitely on the upper end of tracking or beyond. 

Edit: ticket prices are way higher for 3/1 imax shows. Lincoln sq is $30 and even in bay area its at $25.

My area added $7/ticket to the normal IMAX price for The Batman early shows (AND excluded A List use)...still is a practical sellout.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1