EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

1 hour ago, GoblinXXR said:

We will see what happens. Looking ahead, let's go wit something like....

405.5M to date

614M through Jan 4th

100-120M after that

405.5M to date

19 (67) 

652M through Jan 4th

120-150M after that

4 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

405.5M to date

19 (67) 

652M through Jan 4th

120-150M after that

I’d prefer your numbers to mine but every step of the way (post OW) this has come in below expectations so I’m not overshooting it anymore.

4 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

I’d prefer your numbers to mine but every step of the way (post OW) this has come in below expectations so I’m not overshooting it anymore.

Mon and Wed were both a little above expectation I think.

Edited by Product Driven Legion
  • Like 1

Both Sing 2 and Matrix with about 66% increase which is very low as well. I really thought matrix will at least double its Friday numbers given how low they were. And Sing 2’s jump is also very weak considering its WOM and that its a family movie. Comparatively I thought NWH would jump about 80% so a 65% is not too far off. So keep in mind that the market as a whole is underperforming rather than NWH alone. 

A lot of reasons why this could be as Empire stated. It could also be due to rising Omicron concern. Situation is worse now that what it was a few days ago with daily cases almost at all time highs again. We are already seeing the impact of this in the hundreds of flight cancellations and such. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

A lot of reasons why this could be as Empire stated. It could also be due to rising Omicron concern. Situation is worse now that what it was a few days ago with daily cases almost at all time highs again. We are already seeing the impact of this in the hundreds of flight cancellations and such

Realistically the situation is pretty good now, with increasing evidence that cases just aren’t a big deal for vaccinated and it will peak soon. But it’s always hard to tell just how much public sentiment will lag the cutting edge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Realistically the situation is pretty good now, with increasing evidence that cases just aren’t a big deal for vaccinated and it will peak soon. But it’s always hard to tell just how much public sentiment will lag the cutting edge.

Yes studies do indicate a milder impact of Omicron and hopefully it will burnout quickly as it seemed to do in South Africa. 

But public perception is what matters here. And it seems concern is at its peak. I mean compare news right now to say a week ago. A lot more scary than it was a few days back. 

At least we can say that NWH’s legs are not the problem, its the market itself. And if Sunday and the weekdays come in stronger than normal then we can say that a weak Saturday was due more to other factors than Omicron concern. 

I know a lot of people that took covid tests to attend family dinners, lots of New year's events got cancelled. Even if it misses 700m so be it I'm surprised people are complaning about it. Last year theatres were shutdown so pretending normal xmas patterns a year later is too much.

There is zero competition in January and February who knows maybe it could recover.

• Like 2

The Last Jedi's 67% drop is looking much better now. It had Christmas Eve but no Christmas or boxing day in its second weekend.

I think just like how Endgame showed that an A+ movie can have average legs, NWH is showing that a December opener can also have average legs. Marvel event movies are becoming very frontloaded.

9 minutes ago, Agafin said:

The Last Jedi's 67% drop is looking much better now. It had Christmas Eve but no Christmas or boxing day in its second weekend.

I think just like how Endgame showed that an A+ movie can have average legs, NWH is showing that a December opener can also have average legs. Marvel event movies are becoming very frontloaded.

i don't think Americans celebrate boxing day , its generally just a day off after xmas

17 minutes ago, Agafin said:

TLJ didn't have idk like covid...

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$2.7m for Matrix on Christmas Day is shocking. So if stayed flat from Christmas Eve? 

I wonder how American Underdog did, but I’m guessing it’s less than $2.7m despite great WOM and reviews. 

No, Matrix Christmas day is $4.5. 66% increase.

• Thanks 1