EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

1 hour ago, Eric Smith said:

I already said this like two weeks ago, but even if you take out the Rowling/Depp stuff, I just don't think Fantastic Beasts has really captured the attention of folks, outside of the hardcore Potter fans. Anecdotal, but the reactions about the first Fantastic Beasts around me weren't anything spectacular and Grindelwald turned away a lot of people. And keep in mind, I was a massive Potter fanatic growing up and made a lot of friends through that series. Deathly Hallows Part II had me choked up when I saw it opening day, and I still really love a lot of the aspects of the original books and movies (Screw Joanne tho). But even I can't bring myself to care. 75M DOM sounds right to me.

This sounds like me - so can I admit I haven't watched the 2nd movie at all?:)  I've watched/read every original Harry Potter book and movie multiple times, but Fantastic Beasts only once (and I hated the ending), and then natta...the 2nd one is on my list to watch, but it's one of those "this will be drudgery but I should do it" things, which usually means it just keeps getting ignored...

That said, I haven't paid attention to #3 and haven't yet watched the trailer, so I don't know if they are finding some way to redeem this prequel series...

• Like 2

West Side Story's comeback is beginning since it's one of the very few movies that went up in actuals and will likely see a nice boost next weekend following good dailies this week (last time New Year's fell on a Saturday in 2011 most holdovers saw good increases). Between a really empty January coming up + potential Oscar bumps the next few months it's likely to be one of the movies currently playing that's gonna be sticking around for a while. In fact the empty schedule is probably a sign we can expect strong post-holiday staying power from Spider-Man and Sing as well.

3 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

That would certainly break our presales model if it came in that high (which is good). 

@Product Driven Legion

With the sun revised up my horizontal would be 21-22.5, probably put more stock in that than the vertical. But yeah, 23-24 would be nice.

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Sonic 2, I’ll tell ya…I couldn’t have been the only one who skipped the first in cinemas and when I finally caught up with it was amazed at how solid it was. 

I’ll be there opening night for Tails, Knuckles and Carrey’s antics! 

It was one of those movies I completely forgot existed until I saw promo for the sequel.

• Sad 1