filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

12 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Maybe there is a race or class divide (I think it probably is) but it is 100% fine in my book to get physical with someone who is being verbally abusive in order for them to stop. A lot of people talking about Will crossing the line but very few talking about Chris and his shock jock style humour that he has done to Jada multiple times.

Give me a break.

He wasn't talking shit about Jada and defiantly wasn't being abusive.  This wasn't some bar in the real world where Rock was making fun a Smith's wife. He was roasting a celebrity audience  member like every other comedian host is paid to do at award shows.  It's part of the entertainment and what he was paid to do.  He might not have even wrote the joke.

I'm sure Will and Jada laughed at all the other jokes the hosts made.  He also seemed seemed to find that joke pretty funny at first until he decide to go off the rails.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Will Smith, you go and slap the fuck out of Chris Rock for making a lame GI Jane joke about Jada and defending her as if that woman did not humiliate the fuck out of you for years? I guess his wife being called GI Jane is worse than her airing out her extramarrital affairs for the world to see when it was evident Will was in pain.

Will, you are a massive cuck. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Can't imagine many people cared about the epic battle between Coda and Power of the Dog, same thing as last years battle for the ages between Nomadland and some other movies

• Like 1

Not defending Rock's joke in any way, but I don't think I can possibly disagree more with the idea that physical violence is ever OK in this sort of situation. Never feel it does anything to de-escalate, rather it does the opposite.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Give me a break.

He wasn't talking shit about Jada and defiantly wasn't being abusive.  This wasn't some bar in the real world where Rock was making fun a Smith's wife. He was roasting a celebrity audience  member like every other comedian host is paid to do at award shows.  It's part of the entertainment and what he was paid to do.  He might not have even wrote the joke.

I'm sure Will and Jada laughed at all the other jokes the hosts made.  He also seemed seemed to find that joke pretty funny at first until he decide to go off the rails. 

Yeah "roasting" someone in front of an audience of millions is so much better than talking shit at a bar.

The whole roasting/shock jock bullshit is unnecessary and gives people an excuse to say whatever and get away with it ... until they don't as is this case.

People go to these awards shows to, shocker, celebrate their films and the films of their peers not to be degraded in front of a bunch of people watching at home.

Also before you go saying some bullshit about how this is the way it has always been, I already know that and it has always been awful. This has been a problem with these award shows for too long in which these kind of jokes make the audience uncomfortable, like when Seth MacFarlane did the we've seen your boobs joke song which was disgusting and instead of valuing women fro their achievements it degraded them to being sexual objects.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Will Smith, you go and slap the fuck out of Chris Rock for making a lame GI Jane joke about Jada and defending her as if that woman did not humiliate the fuck out of you for years? I guess his wife being called GI Jane is worse than her airing out her extramarrital affairs for the world to see when it was evident Will was in pain.

Read for filth. :hi5:

2 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Will was a #King for that, I'm sorry.

A good man.

A King who laughed at the joke but got up because his master rolled her eyes? Too much, Jada? Didn't seem too much when you willingly aired sleeping with your son's friend! 

Jada has some fucking fierce control over Will...my goodness. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Maybe, just maybe, you or I don't know anything about what's going on in Will and Jada's life, and maybe, just maybe, all the gossip for years got to him in one moment.  People are imperfect.  And the problem is that media gossip informs us more that the movies themselves, these days.  Maybe we could stop calling each other names and say "Hey...this guy is obviously going through some shit. Let's get him some help."  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Noctis said:

They are in an open marriage. Like Will ain't getting around. Your misogyny is jumping out for needlessly dragging Jada.

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Maybe, just maybe, you or I don't know anything about what's going on in Will and Jada's life, and maybe, just maybe, all the gossip for years got to him in one moment.  People are imperfect.  And the problem is that media gossip informs us more that the movies themselves, these days.  Maybe we could stop calling each other names and say "Hey...this guy is obviously going through some shit. Let's get him some help."  

Sure, but this guy knows Chris Rock meant nothing bad and made a joke about GI Jane - completely harmless.

Let's not pretend Will Smith was not LAUGHING until his wife rolled her eyes. 

The only guy I feel bad for right now is Chris Rock, not Will Smith.

• Like 4