filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

10 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Not much of a movie buff if you haven’t heard of the Sundance jury winner Apple bought for 25million which has been getting awards hype and headlines for the last couple months 

dude i havent heard this movie until Sunday

Maybe it shows how much  art film culture is getting away from the mainstream.

Before you would hear about oscar buzzed films for months before they win. 

• Like 1

Mess.

West Side Story’s Rachel Zegler wasn’t the only star who had issues getting to the Dolby on Sunday. She’s just the only one who went public with the struggle.

Three insiders confirmed that castmembers from best picture nominee Belfast and eventual winner CODA also had difficulty landing seats for the Oscars ceremony. “It was a mess,” said a source, one caused in large part by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. By redrawing the Dolby’s seating arrangement to maximize social distancing, the Academy cut approximately 800 seats. As it has every year, the Academy doled out tickets to studios and streamers and left it to those entities to distribute them to relevant parties like producers, executives, filmmakers and talent — and to make the tough decisions.

Last Minute Oscar Ticket Scramble Left Insiders Fuming – The Hollywood Reporter

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Not much of a movie buff if you haven’t heard of the Sundance jury winner Apple bought for 25million which has been getting awards hype and headlines for the last couple months 

77K votes on imdb after 2 months of awards season and 3 days of post oscar win

so without being in awards radar it would be just one of those streaming family movies everyone stop talking about after two weeks or so

And as european i can tell you cinephiles here doesn't give a f about Sundance. It's  an all american festival and modern american cinema is  boring and flat. Coda's win ad Sundance and The oscar is just here to confirm it. You can found the very few great american authors at the very quality festival (cannes, venice, berlin).

What you can find at the Sundance? The new movie by Ava Duvernay?. A new series based on some bad novel produced by Nicole Kidman?. O my god who cares. 

plus: people can find enjoyable the greatest showman, the devil wears prada and Marley and me. No problem with that. That's doesnt'mean they have any form of cinematic achiviement and deserved a prize that was created to recognize that. 

I read the book Where the crawdad sing some weeks ago. It was like..enjoyable. Did I like it?. Yeah it was good.

Did it deserve to win the Pulitzer prize for narrative? Gosh, NO!. It would be the most embarassing thing ever.

Hollywood is already at this low point. 

Edited by vale9001

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

77K votes on imdb after 2 months of awards season and 3 days of post oscar win

so without being in awards radar it would be just one of those streaming family movies everyone stop talking about after two weeks or so

And as european i can tell you cinephiles here doesn't give a f about Sundance. It's  an all american festival and modern american cinema is  boring and flat. Coda's win ad Sundance and The oscar is just here to confirm it. You can found the very few great american authors at the very quality festival (cannes, venice, berlin).

What you can find at the Sundance? The new movie by Ava Duvernay?. A new series based on some bad novel produced by Nicole Kidman?. O my god who cares. 

plus: people can find enjoyable the greatest showman, the devil wears prada and Marley and me. No problem with that. That's doesnt'mean they have any form of cinematic achiviement and deserved a prize that was created to recognize that. 

I read the book Where the crawdad sing some weeks ago. It was like..enjoyable. Did I like it?. Yeah it was good.

Did it deserve to win the Pulitzer prize for narrative? Gosh, NO!. It would be the most embarassing thing ever.

Hollywood is already at this low point. 

I don't even like CODA at all. It shouldn't have won Oscars but it did. Regardless where you live, if you spend any amount of time on internet and movie sites, it's almost impossible to not hear about CODA one way or another. Unless the main sites you frequent only focus on genre, etc. 

Modern American cinema "boring and flat" is a stale take. Yes, the modern studio system but if there's still PTA, Joel Coen among others (filmmakers with international sensibilities), it's not flat

2 minutes ago, Melosh said:

I don’t know if someone pointed this out yet but this whole Will Smith thing was most definitely staged to get more buzz and ratings for the oscars

Most definitely not anymore. Everyone assumed it was staged at the time because fake punches and feuds occur at awards shows all the time. It wasn't until Smith got to his seat and they started cursing at each other (both Smith and Rock have been an industry long enough and have attended enough of these nationally televised awards shows to know what they can and cannot say on camera) that it dawned on everyone "holy shit, this is real."

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Then there is another word fitting your status. Casual movie fan.

Someone that watch and study movies every day is well above a casual movie fan...............

Also paying attention to award show or film festival isn’t pretentious, it is just part of the inevitable if one develop deep interest in filmmaking. 

It is really not, are we sure Terrance Malik does pay attention to award show and film festival for example ?. If you get lucky enough to get financed without them, you can make movies all your life and never look what is going on with those, no ?

Edited by Barnack

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Most definitely not anymore. Everyone assumed it was staged at the time because fake punches and feuds occur at awards shows all the time. It wasn't until Smith got to his seat and they started cursing at each other (both Smith and Rock have been an industry long enough and have attended enough of these nationally televised awards shows to know what they can and cannot say on camera) that it dawned on everyone "holy shit, this is real."

Ok,fair enough…….but you never know with Hollywood 

• Haha 1

The Academy is currently investing the whole incident and are apparently deciding what to do about Smith's Academy membership/Best Actor winner privileges of crowning the next Best Actress winner. Anyone who thinks it was staged at this point is clearly not living in reality.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Academy is currently investing the whole incident and are apparently deciding what to do about Smith's Academy membership/Best Actor winner privileges of crowning the next Best Actress winner. Anyone who thinks it was staged at this point is clearly not living in reality.

Tbh I wasn’t really paying attention to all the investigations so I guess I’ll take it for what it is .

36 minutes ago, Melosh said:

I don’t know if someone pointed this out yet but this whole Will Smith thing was most definitely staged to get more buzz and ratings for the oscars

You could just tell by the way he spoke that it wasn't acting. I also dont think Will Smith would risk his likability just to give the oscars a ratings boost

47 minutes ago, Melosh said:

You really think that if it was staged, that how Chris Rock would have reacted ? That it would have made everything to make it look like it did not get hit has much as possible ? (Without sound and replay, it would have been easy to miss)

Anything that do not defy physical laws is possible, but it would have been genius, same for cutting the sound feed in some market but not other, so we can have it, while making it look like ABC wanted to hide it.

I do not see why/how Rock/Smith accept to do it, those are in the very top of not needing any of this for their career.

40 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is really not, are we sure Terrance Malik does pay attention to award show and film festival for example ?. If you get lucky enough to get financed without them, you can make movies all your life and never look what is going on with those, no ?

I thought his tree of life get Palme dor? And he also appear there for his hidden life. I know certain filmmaker like Robert Altman hate the flashy event like those during Oscar season. This is just their personality but believe me , they pay attention to what happened, maybe not religiously subscribing it, but they do. Filmmaking is a creative process where people, no matter how talented they are, is constantly seeking for inspiration. And works by their peers or competitors certainly draw their attention.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

I thought his tree of life get Palme dor?

Yes he won 2 I think, and the fact he did go to the ceremony (or at the Oscar that year when he was nominated) or did anything about any of this is why I did pick him has an example.

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You can say that about anybody who buys into conspiracy theories.

I thought this would blow over in 24 hours, but it has not.

I though  Smith being striped of his Oscar was simply not going to happen, now it at least is a real possiblity. I think being striped of his acedemy membership but no the Oscar is the best Smith can hope for at this point.

“The Board of Governors today initiated disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, including inappropriate physical contact, abusive or threatening behavior, and compromising the integrity of the Academy,” the statement said.

In their statement, the Academy also said “Mr. Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and refused, [but] we also recognize we could have handled the situation differently.” The Hollywood Reporter has reached out to Smith for comment. The Academy also apologized directly to Rock in the statement, as well as nominees, guests and viewers.

18 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I was born in 85. Is this referring to the Iranian hostage crisis or something else?

The US boycotted the Olympics in 1984 as they were in Moscow, Russia....cold war stuff.

Edited by baumer