Eric Prime

Super Bowl/Valentine's Weekend Thread | Nile 1.1M Previews, Marry Me 525K

$5.1m isn’t great for Death on the Nile and I can’t see it hitting $12m. Maybe it’ll get a boost on Monday and next weekend. $90m price tag though.

And it looks like it’s performing nowhere near as well in the UK as I’d thought, Friday was just under £500k, Murder opened to £4.9m. 

Edited by Krissykins

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$5.1m isn’t great for Death on the Nile and I can’t see it hitting $12m. Maybe it’ll get a boost on Monday and next weekend. $90m price tag though.

And it looks like it’s performing nowhere near as well in the UK as I’d thought, Friday was just under £500k, Murder opened to £4.9m. 

yep. Anyone would think audiences are clocking on to the ‘it’ll be free on Disney+ in six or seven weeks’.  I see this as a massive issue for movies like this that regular moviegoers would probably make the effort to see.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

yep. Anyone would think audiences are clocking on to the ‘it’ll be free on Disney+ in six or seven weeks’.  I see this as a massive issue for movies like this that regular moviegoers would probably make the effort to see.  

Or you know, it could also just be a sequel nobody demanded to a 5/10 movie nobody cares about. Like really, this movie was probably going to make half of the last one even in the best of circumstances

Death on the Nile seeing a big plunge overseas would be a bigger surprise than a U.S. underperformance considering the international grosses of the previous movie (which made up nearly 3/4 of its worldwide total) were perhaps the only reasons another one was given the green light. But whatever, after all it's been through it seems like success was never in the cards for this movie, at least it finally saw the light of day and everyone can just move on with their lives.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

After 2 years Deadline Anthony has finally given up and admitted that shit is just not normal

Again, both are hoping for more love from the Valentine’s Day box office, but I believe we won’t know if older women are truly ready to come out to the movies again until it happens. It will take some sort of Sex and the City or Bridesmaids phenomenon to put us back there, I don’t think we’ll be able to see it coming, It will take sheer gut and will on behalf of a major studio in terms of greenlighting a movie toward females as studios try to make sense of what works at cinemas in an era where streaming is appetizing. Many content creators continue to worry if the same types of movies they use to make are ripe for theatrical in a truly have-and-have not marketplace, or if such genres have completely been absorbed by streaming — a place where movies live forever.

His blind insistence that the market was healed and ready last year was relentless. He is finally seeing sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I noticed there is not a single trace of Death on the Nile on Gals Instagram. She even went back and deleted all the posts about it being announced and filmed, trailer drop etc. 

Nobody did any promo for the movie because one of its stars has been under investigation by the LAPD. Add to that the fact at least three other people from the movie (including Gal herself) also found themselves in hot water during the time the movie languished on the shelf and it's been obvious for a while that this was to be dumped without fanfare. On the bright side, at least it'll have the bragging rights of being the #1 movie for at least one weekend, something it wouldn't have enjoyed in its pre-COVID October 9, 2020 date (where it would've been saddled between Venom 2 and Halloween Kills).

• Like 1