Eric Prime

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sunday's drop of 35% definitely looks like an overestimation since the afternoon and evening shows are still filling up. Should end up over $130M, which is still an excellent start.

100%. We had a massive snowstorm in Salt Lake last night, almost a foot, and the first showing in the biggest auditorium at my theater is already ahead of yesterday's final with still 40 minutes go.

Edited by A Star is Orm
typo

It certainly feels likely the Sunday estimates are slightly lowballed. With a 3 hour runtime, I can see people prioritizing getting a weekend matinee show in, as it's hard to squeeze that in during weekdays. 

3 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

It's weird WB just didn't make the estimate $130m, 30% drop on Sunday isn't that farfetched 

Why risk over estimating and creating a negative headline when the estimate comes down. 

There's very little advantage to reporting $130M compared to $128M right now. 

If it was a matter of beating a particular milestone (biggest March opening, etc.) maybe you stretch a bit to get that headline, but, the dialogue on this is likely going to be "second biggest opening of the pandemic", and that doesn't change with a few million in either direction. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

100%. We had a massive snowstorm in Salt Lake last night, almost a foot, and the first showing in the biggest auditorium at my theater is already ahead of yesterday's final with still 40 minutes go.

Not to mention that Monday is the start of spring break at few places which may soften Sunday drop. Similar to holdovers, if their Saturday jump is already weaker than last week, no way they still drop as intense as last week Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

As much as I like Lady Gaga and Anya Taylor-Joy, neither strike me as Poison Ivy. Emma Mackey would be quite good in the role.

As someone that just binged Sex Education last week I swear she resembles Margot Robbie so much

120m estimated internationally per deadline

https://deadline.com/2022/03/the-batman-opening-international-box-office-robert-pattinson-dc-1234969771/

SUNDAY UPDATE, Refresh for latest…: Warner Bros/DC’s The Batman winged into 74 offshore markets this weekend, landing $120M at the international box office through Sunday. Combined with the $128.5M domestic start, the global launch is $248.5M.

The Matt Reeves-directed Batman was No. 1 in 73 of its openings, and came in at the high end of the range where we saw it ahead of the debut. The international start is the industry’s best for 2022 and the biggest for Warner Bros since Joker in 2019. It is also WB’s top opening of the pandemic era internationally (excluding China) and the biggest international bow for Reeves.

The UK was the top launch market with $18.4M), followed by Mexico ($12M), Australia $9.2M, Brazil ($8.8M) and France ($8.5M).

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Sunday's drop of 35% definitely looks like an overestimation since the afternoon and evening shows are still filling up. Should end up over $130M, which is still an excellent start.

They’re Just assuming everyone is going stay home and watch the real marquee event of the weekend:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Happy with the numbers so far, I know others were hoping for more but it is what it is. Not expecting China to add much to the total tbh, doesn’t seem like the Asian markets really did too well for Batman. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

As much as I like Lady Gaga and Anya Taylor-Joy, neither strike me as Poison Ivy. Emma Mackey would be quite good in the role.

Nah, they wouldn’t go with someone who is basically a Margot clone. They’ll have to go with someone completely different and do a totally different take on the character to avoid comparisons. 

I’m really hoping they avoid villains that have already been done recently though, give us some fresh characters beyond the same old suspects. Hush would be great.