Eric Loves Rey

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

The human characters are somehow a bit worse than the last movie (to be fair to the cast the script is just bad) but feels like they aren't as prominent at least. Kong is the anchor of the movie and the star of the show. Godzilla is more like a sidekick and isn't as featured as the trailer suggests. Great visuals and fights once it finally gets going. Forgettable soundtrack besides one moment. 

I think the last movie was probably better executed, but GxK is still entertaining for any Titan fans. 

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

More reactions shall come eventually but i think they should be able to deliver the bare minimum required for the people.

Also anyone, no matter how highly regarded he or she is in critic circle, tries to compare it with Minus One should be considered unreliable. 

Expected reactions, should be mixed on meta and positive on RT

GxK have 76%, this can try 65% or so. Not that it needed a fresh score, this is the type of movies that people doesn’t care about reviews

Reviews on WED anyway

Edited by ThomasNicole

Reactions IMO point to a rotten RT score. I dont think reviews matter for a movie like this.

Two reactions that jump out are Mama's Geeky and Germaine Lussier.  These are two reviewers give almost every movie a positive review and rotten ones to movies you'd expect like Madame Web.  Again, I dont think reviews matter just if I was betting fresh or rotten on RT, i'm betting rotten.

"Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire suffers from an extremely slow start due to lack of dialogue, which is more cheesy than entertaining. When Titans go toe-to-toe, the action is incredible but that's not enough. Looks pretty but unfortunately misses more than it hits. " ~MamasGeeky

"Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire is underwhelming. It feels like 90% set-up for a final battle that's solid but can't live up to all that build-up. There is a fresh approach to the characters, which works, but it never quite gels with the main story. Dan Stevens does rip though." ~Germaine Lussier

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

The human characters are somehow a bit worse than the last movie (to be fair to the cast the script is just bad) but feels like they aren't as prominent at least. Kong is the anchor of the movie and the star of the show. Godzilla is more like a sidekick and isn't as featured as the trailer suggests. Great visuals and fights once it finally gets going. Forgettable soundtrack besides one moment. 

I think the last movie was probably better executed, but GxK is still entertaining for any Titan fans. 

This sounds exactly like i though it was going to be. Similar in tone and with the same strengths and flaws of GvK.

Meaning as long as general audiences dont find this movie boring, it should get good WOM since the people come for the fighs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Expected reactions, should be mixed on meta and positive on RT

GxK have 76%, this can try 65% or so. Not that it needed a fresh score, this is the type of movies that people doesn’t care about reviews

Reviews on WED anyway

Saw someone on twitter say it got pushed back to Thursday, which if true is rough and not good. Already not a great sign that none of the trades or big press put out reactions last night review wise. Like Brainbug said though, what happens really depends on how the GA feel when they see it.

• Like 2

So far where it stands, Monsterverse has 3 movies with 75-76% and one rotten.

And i don't see these reactions that overwhelmingly negative as to say it's really bad or something.

Reviews pushed to 28 doesn't necessarily mean Rotten, it could be more like WB not wanting even 60-70% range.

5 hours ago, Mulder said:

Saw someone on twitter say it got pushed back to Thursday, which if true is rough and not good. Already not a great sign that none of the trades or big press put out reactions last night review wise. Like Brainbug said though, what happens really depends on how the GA feel when they see it.

I feel like one reason for King of the Monsters underperformance (and its short legs) was that while it had way more fight scenes than G14, they were often interrupted by the (frankly boring) family storyline which can be frustrating.

GvK on the other hand had multiple fight scenes where you were just watching the Kaiju duke it out for a few minutes. And i think that went over way better with the GA and especually the part of it that just wants mindless monster action. So if GxK is "more of the same", i do expect it to get similarly good WoM to GvK even if the reviews are poor (which i kind of expect now with the emargo dropping later).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I feel like one reason for King of the Monsters underperformance (and its short legs) was that while it had way more fight scenes than G14, they were often interrupted by the (frankly boring) family storyline which can be frustrating.

GvK on the other hand had multiple fight scenes where you were just watching the Kaiju duke it out for a few minutes. And i think that went over way better with the GA and especually the part of it that just wants mindless monster action. So if GxK is "more of the same", i do expect it to get similarly good WoM to GvK even if the reviews are poor (which i kind of expect now with the emargo dropping later).

KOTM took Itself too seriously with lore, connection and all that stuff.

GvK didn't and it seems GxK isn't at all.

Also one thing, KOTM had awful visuals with all those storm and weather effects, that's one issue GxK won't have.

7 hours ago, Mulder said:

They’re confused. 

It is on THU morning but on Australian time, which is 3PM WED on US. 

The last i saw, it’s still this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They’re confused. 

It is on THU morning but on Australian time, which is 3PM WED on US. 

The last i saw, it’s still this. 

it’s the same for the US. It’s just adapted to local time. For those who are in the US review embargo will be lifted just on Thursday early morning.

Edited by leoh

7 minutes ago, leoh said:

it’s the same for the US. It’s just adapted to local time. For those who are in the US review embargo will be lifted just on Thursday early morning.

WED 3PM EST.

The same information can be found on tracking thread days ago fwiw. The prints with the THU info are from Australia, which adjusting the time zone still are 3PM EST for US. I didn’t saw anyone from US saying they suddenly changed it.

Not that 24 hour will make any difference, this type of movies are usually critics proof anyway.

Edited by ThomasNicole

On 3/2/2024 at 6:20 PM, AMCTheater2000 said:

People, remember this headline 😉. Only in case somebody isn't absolutely happy with the now very probably way better result.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Admittedly I'm only really curious about how GxK does from a facts perspective tbh. In my personal opinion GvK and (what I've seen and heard) GxK are pretty awful so I have no real emotional ties to how they do. For me the MV ended film wise with KoTM and since then I've only really enjoyed Monarch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Nobody goes to a GOdzilla/Kong movie for the human charecters.They go to see the two big guys wreak havoc and fifht other monsters.

"Nobody"?!?

Painting with a rather broad brush there, aren't ya?

(even if we're talking hyperbole, I'd... take issue with the sentiment)

• Like 1