YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

With Sonic 2 liking doing a $67m-$72m OW, I do wonder how the rest of the animation (Yes I know Sonic isn’t fully animated) should perform and what could top it. I think Lightyear seems like an opener around $80m-$90m. Minions 2 could also top it as while I do think a decrease is due, Sing 2 if it hadn’t been for Covid could’ve topped the first one. I think Across The Spider Verse also has a good chance but probably more 50m-60m.

Doubt Minions will top it since Despicable Me 3 had a 72M OW.

My prediction for the opening weekends of the upcoming animated movies:

Lightyear: 102M 

Bad Guys: 16M

Minions: 58M

Paws of Justice: 12M

DC Superpets: 48M

Puss in Boots: 62M

Spiderverse: 80M

Strange World: 64M (5 day)

Mario Bros: 104M (5 day)

16 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Doubt Minions will top it since Despicable Me 3 had a 72M OW.

My prediction for the opening weekends of the upcoming animated movies:

Lightyear: 102M 

Bad Guys: 16M

Minions: 58M

Paws of Justice: 12M

DC Superpets: 48M

Puss in Boots: 62M

Spiderverse: 80M

Strange World: 64M (5 day)

Mario Bros: 104M (5 day)

I feel whether we like it or not Minions seems a little low. Though audience fatigue is a big thing, I suspect Universal will market it to hell and back, so more so thinking $60m-$70m. Mario Bros and Puss In Boots do seem a bit too high OW, as Mario will more likely have a six day around Sing, maybe $80m as it faces intense competition from Avatar 2 and to a lesser extent Shazam. Also the 11 year wait for Puss in Boots with the audience then being adults now who I doubt are as interested especially with Across in two weeks. Probably 20m-35m at most. 

I agree with everything else though.

8 hours ago, john2000 said:

We saw how his practical films... cough transformers cough ninja turtles cough are....

he didn’t direct Ninja Turtles and the Transformers movies were all shot on-location and used plenty of practical effects/explosions. the CGI for the giant transforming robots is out of necessity i believe you can’t really do that practically.

• Like 3

saw everything everywhere all at once last night and i have *never* seen a crowd react that enthusiastically in that theatre other than a couple mcu opening weekends. cheers and laughs from the audience basically the whole time. WOM is going to be insane it's the best thing ever

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

An 8.8 average for this on RT. That’s incredible. 

Critics watched Nomadland and were ASTONISHED to learn some people choose to live in vans. 

4 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

The past four years? Generally I would say the 2018-2022 stuff is better visually than the 2016 and older stuff. 

The pre-Avengers and GOTG films look better than any 2018-2022 films from them. Just compare Asgard in Thor to Thor 3. Night and day.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Pretty good opening but I feel like releasing EEAAO right now wasn't a good move. It's so crowded and will probably impact the movie's legs. Really thinking this should've released in August. Would've boosted it's Oscar chances too.

It's not gonna be an Oscar player. Even if it was a more traditional oscar film, A24 sucks at campaigning now-a-days.