Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

Am i the only one who really didnt care all that much about who ends up with whom in Harry Potter? Like, the romance subplots are by far the most boring aspect of the novels and the films for me. All of them had evil Nazi No-Nose-Tom to fight, seems like a bit more important to me than Harry, Ron and Hermione not knowing what to do with their hormons.

And yes, ofc i get that they are teenagers and so on, but in the 6th book and film especially, there is so much time invested in finding out who are they really having the feels for and im just there demanding that we get more screentime with Dumbledore and Harry talking about Horcruxes and paddling though Evil Nazi No-Nose-Toms past because that was way more interesting. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I think it's time JK realizes her disgusting comments have clearly tarnished her brand and she needs to do a George Lucas at this point and just sell Wizarding World to Warner Bros Discovery.

I mean these movies were garbage but it's clear as day that her being attached to them has effected people wanting to support anything Potter related. 

That's why people also are hesitant about Hogwarts Legacy despite Rowling having nothing to do with that game at all.

The GA does not give a crap about that, mostly does not even know about that or even know who she is. Of course Harry Potter is an extremely fanbase driven franchise (even more than superheroes I would say) so it makes a part in the fanbase, but the GA is still the most relevant aspect of it's box office and so The JK Rowling and Johnny Depp situation are not that important of factors as people in the internet believe it to be. 

50 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

And it especially translates on the screen as well when Dan and Emma had fantastic chemistry whereas Rupert/Emma and Bonnie/Dan had absolutely zero chemistry.

That I completely agree with. In the movies Harry/Hermione relationship felt a lot more organic, engaging and palpable than Rony/Hermione and I think that is in great part because of the chemistry between the actors. The dance scene between them is one of the best scenes of Harry Potter and is miles better than anything Rony/Hermione related.

48 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

So what they expected? 500M? Based on what? Only a few movies can earn that at this point and this franchise was already in a decline.

One actor was fired for sexual assault and that isn't even the most well known scandal about this franchise. 

They should celebrate if they earn 400M.

Even then, the situation is different. I don’t think any studio would be happy. Yes, a pandemic is still going on but this is bad for Beasts regardless and there’s not really much to go with in terms of a fourth gross. Also it’s pretty likely Beasts won’t even be in the top ten this year and could miss the top fifteen worldwide as theaters aren’t as stunted now compared to 2021.

Plenty of movies doing 400m last year are better successes because returns were better like in the case of Sing 2, had day and date or streaming interfering with grosses such as Godzilla vs Kong or Dune, or part of a franchise consistent enough where the sequel will increase by adding certain characters or because it was well liked like Shang-Chi and Eternals. Not to mention, a good portion of these movies had strong COVID-19 waves when released.

I think a fourth movie even though I don’t think the GA really cares anymore just not under the Beasts series which is pretty much dead. They’ll just title it The Legends of Dumbledore: The Wizard War or something and try to distance it but even then I’m not sure there’s much room for interest in the Wizarding World franchise if the GA isn’t on board.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

I like Ron X Hermoine as a kid in the books or even in the movies but I shipped Harry x Hermoine for a while because of the movies as they had better chemistry. Still thought Ron x Hermoine worked for me in for the movies but am feeling vindicated on people seeing the light these past few years.

Warner would have to be utterly moronic to make another Beasts film. A $43M opening on a $200M budget is nothing short of terribadWhat makes this one especially bad is that this is mere days after Discovery was put in charge. It's Warner's first big test in front of their new overlords, and they have failed. At least Zaslav, who had nothing to do with this movie or this spinoff/prequel series as a whole, can point fingers elsewhere before he proceeds with a slate reset akin to what Disney did with Fox after Dark Phoenix bombed. I just hope Mr. Z doesn't kill Coyote vs. Acme at least.

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

The Fantastic Beasts franchise is dead. Zero chance WB touches this shit again. I am not sure why WB decided to call a series of movies about Dumbledore and Grindelwald "Fantastic Beasts", but whatever. One of the many mistakes made with whatever this franchise was.

I would not say zer0 chance....Warners has made some bizarre decisions when it comes to borderline sequels....but I think the odds are  strong against a fourth FB film, despite some of the questoinable reasoning we have been seeing.

And the thing is Warners can kill the FB movies but still keep the Wizarding World/Potter franchise alive.

I a, seeing a lot of total disregard of how businesses operate in the real world in this thread.

The whole concept of "return on investment" seems unknown t some people here.

Spending a lot of money on a film and have it make only a small profit is NOT an acceptable outcome. yes,it is better then actuallyl osing money, but lots of CEO have been fired not because their companies were losing money but they were not meeting expecations where profits are concerned.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

I like Ron X Hermoine as a kid in the books or even in the movies but I shipped Harry x Hermoine for a while because of the movies as they had better chemistry. Still thought Ron x Hermoine worked for me in for the movies but am feeling vindicated on people seeing the light these past few years.

Unrelated but love your new profile pic lol. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Apples and ornages.

FOr one thing DUne was well received as a whole; FB3 was not.

I see Denial is in full operation here.

It could be worse. Remember that one certain local/Twitter scooper who dismissed Dune’s box office, comparing it to Pacific Rim? Good times.

Anyway FB3 doing what it did doesn’t surprise me. Eh sequel to a franchise that (despite being connected to a beloved franchise) never quite connected with the masses or even a good number of Pot(ter)heads. And no, Rowling’s dumb politics or the Depp firing isn’t to blame here. This is more an indictment of FB1 and 2.

was hoping Sonic 2 would have a better hold but oh well.

Would anyone shed any tears if WB announced they're cancelling the remaining Fantastic Beasts movies that weren't even given the green light yet? Three movies in and it feels like they have absolutely zero characters that audiences or even fans have truly bonded with or are invested in (not even younger versions of folks whose fates we already know via the Harry Potter series like Dumbledore). I doubt even JK would be broken up since she'll always be crazy wealthy and WB were really investing the money into these movies.

Edited by filmlover

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

I am not sure why WB decided to call a series of movies about Dumbledore and Grindelwald "Fantastic Beasts", but whatever.

I always had the feeling it was a half-assed pivot after they realized "No, we can't make 5 movies out of a magizoologist, let's throw every Legacy character in there."

But I never got further than half through the first movie.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Would anyone shed any tears if WB announced they're cancelling the remaining Fantastic Beasts movies that weren't even given the green light yet? Three movies in and it feels like they have absolutely zero characters that audiences or even fans have truly bonded with or are invested in (not even younger versions of folks whose fates we already know via the Harry Potter series like Dumbledore). I doubt even JK would be broken up since she'll always be crazy wealthy and WB were really investing the money into these movies.

As a big fan of the Potter books and a more moderate fan of the Potter movies ( some of which did not do the books justice)  I was never  engaged with the charecters in the FB series. Evne the retreads from the novels came off flat.'J K Rowling has a net worth of over a Billion dollars, so it's it's not like she needs to write a sentence she does not want to.