Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

To be honest JKR gives the vibe that she gets much more enjoyment out of one-off releases like the Christmas Pig and Ickabog and her Strike novels than Fantastic Beasts. I suspect she really isn't deeply bothered about the continuation of this series other than the slight knock to the ego. 

And again, without dwelling on opinions on her comments about prioritising sex-based societal segregation over identity-based societal segregation, those who think they are the/a major factor in this movie's performance as opposed to the previous films' qualities are deluding themselves as much as the Last Jedi haters who though Rian Johnson was the main reason Solo flopped as opposed to the complete misjudgement of how much the general public wanted that film. 

49 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

To be honest JKR gives the vibe that she gets much more enjoyment out of one-off releases like the Christmas Pig and Ickabog and her Strike novels than Fantastic Beasts. I suspect she really isn't deeply bothered about the continuation of this series other than the slight knock to the ego. 

Fantastic Beasts really came about because Warner Bros pitched her the idea and she liked it and she agreed to write the screenplay. I would guess they'll take a different approach for future Wizarding World film in that they'll get writers and directors to pitch ideas to them and Rowling much like they do with DC films.

8 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

And again, without dwelling on opinions on her comments about prioritising sex-based societal segregation over identity-based societal segregation, those who think they are the/a major factor in this movie's performance as opposed to the previous films' qualities are deluding themselves as much as the Last Jedi haters who though Rian Johnson was the main reason Solo flopped as opposed to the complete misjudgement of how much the general public wanted that film. 

yep. The Beasts movies don’t appeal to kids. Have no protagonist they can relate to. Hence the films have lost a chunk of Potter’s audience.  

I keep reading article after article about Rowling, Depp, Miller etc - but it’s the actual films themselves and who they’re aimed at that is resulting in this box office. The Potter brand is as massive as it ever has been. This particular spin-off from it though is skewered a little older. 

• Like 2

Lost City gonna end between 90M and 95M. Crap result. I can see why Shotgun Wedding was sold to Amazon. 

Fuck that Sonic drop.

Lmao at that Fantastic Beasts number.

45 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Sonic 2 actual - $29,304,395

-42% on Sunday, oof. Here's hoping for a strong hold next weekend

59.4% drop, not bad as the 62% at first but not as good as $30m would’ve been. Hopefully some stability will come this weekend before The Bad Guys causes a 40%+ drop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

yep. The Beasts movies don’t appeal to kids. Have no protagonist they can relate to. Hence the films have lost a chunk of Potter’s audience.  

I keep reading article after article about Rowling, Depp, Miller etc - but it’s the actual films themselves and who they’re aimed at that is resulting in this box office. The Potter brand is as massive as it ever has been. This particular spin-off from it though is skewered a little older. 

This. All the controversy's with Rowling, Depp, etc had little or nothing to do with why Dumbledore is a box office fail. People simply did not want to pay to see it because of dissapointemnt with the previous fiom, and the tepid reviews and reactions to this one.

• Like 2